Triple Occupancy in Paris for 3 Adults on points?

Old Jun 18, 12, 7:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Posts: 833
Triple Occupancy in Paris for 3 Adults on points?

I'm planning a trip to Paris for myself (woman in early 30's) and my parents (late 50's, early 60's) for May 2013.

It's a big deal. I've been to Paris a few times, they've never been, and my mother's dreamed about it for decades. We need to be frugal, but a the same time I want to make sure my folks are comfortable.

I'd like to use priority club points to pay for the hotel. Initially, I was planning on taking my mother only, and planned on using points to book the HI Notre Dame.

Now my father has decided to join us. While it'll be great to have the whole family there, I'm not sure what to do about accommodations anymore. I think we could easily fit into an American-style hotel room with two double beds, but it looks like most of the Holiday Inns in Paris have either 2 single bed or one double bed.

Any advice?

Here are the points we have to work with:

Mom 80
Dad 80
Daughter 92
+ 1 certificate coming from priority club credit card this August

We're planning on staying in Paris for 6-8 nights.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Kay_nyc; Jun 18, 12 at 7:29 am
Kay_nyc is offline  
Old Jun 18, 12, 11:33 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta
Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, PC Amb Plat, AA, Delta Gold
Posts: 356
I was able to find a HI that offered a family suite but I do not remember the location. My search was for $$$ not points so that may not solve your problem. Try the Crown Plaza and HI Opera-Grand Blvds. I stayed at the latter for 2 nights on pts and I liked the property but the room was tiny. I do think I would enjoy the experience for up to 8 nights.
nub2travel is offline  
Old Jun 18, 12, 2:40 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ether
Programs: Some, not all.
Posts: 1,567
Holiday Inn Express Paris - Canal De La Villette has rooms with a double bed and sofa bed. A short walk along the canal gets you to the metro and the rest of the city.

At 25k and/or 100 per night it is good value (for Paris).
21H21J is offline  
Old Jun 18, 12, 3:14 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PWM, BOS
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Posts: 850
I would try emailing the CP Republique and asking about confirming a room with 2 doubles. They have a bunch of these rooms, but of course, per PC rules they only have to make standard rooms available. They USED to make those rooms explicitly available.

Also, Holiday Inn - Montmartre has rooms that have 2 singles with a single sofabed available on points. Can you sleep on a sofabed and put your parents in the 2 singles ?

Cheers.
PWMFlyer19 is offline  
Old Jun 18, 12, 7:06 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Posts: 654
Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19 View Post
I would try emailing the CP Republique and asking about confirming a room with 2 doubles. They have a bunch of these rooms, but of course, per PC rules they only have to make standard rooms available. They USED to make those rooms explicitly available.

Cheers.
Somebody posted about the Republique last fall when I also tried booking on points wanting 2 beds, basically they will only let you use points for a standard (1 bed) room but may give a 2 bed room for an additional fee but you would have to call the hotel in advance to arrange for this. I ended up not booking with points.
tobegold is offline  
Old Sep 30, 12, 3:13 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: YOW+USA
Programs: AC down to Orange lol, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 3,215
It was gare montparnasse Av Maine that had the 2 single room and a sofa bed good for 3 people...
Snoopyo is offline  
Old Sep 30, 12, 3:45 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Posts: 1,212
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Notre Dame this June and absolutely loved it. Modern hotel, fabulous views from the roof, steps to the Metro and RER and in the heart of the Latin Quarter.

We needed two rooms, rooms are pretty small, I don't think 3 people would fit.

May I suggest using the points and cash option. We paid $60 per night per room plus 20K points per room per night. You have 252,000 points this would be enough for 6 nights for 2 rooms plus $240 dollars. Not bad, you would have some privacy, and so would mom and dad
balima is offline  
Old Sep 30, 12, 6:43 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 1,263
Originally Posted by balima View Post
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Notre Dame this June and absolutely loved it. Modern hotel, fabulous views from the roof, steps to the Metro and RER and in the heart of the Latin Quarter.

We needed two rooms, rooms are pretty small, I don't think 3 people would fit.

May I suggest using the points and cash option. We paid $60 per night per room plus 20K points per room per night. You have 252,000 points this would be enough for 6 nights for 2 rooms plus $240 dollars. Not bad, you would have some privacy, and so would mom and dad
I think that this is a great suggestion
lolosmama is offline  
Old Sep 30, 12, 8:41 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: YOW+USA
Programs: AC down to Orange lol, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 3,215
sorry the math is a bit off. If you had 2 rooms for 6 nights each and 60$ per night it would be $720.
Snoopyo is offline  
Old Aug 13, 13, 3:07 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 49,179
Originally Posted by Snoopyo View Post
It was gare montparnasse Av Maine that had the 2 single room and a sofa bed good for 3 people...
Just finished a stay at the HI Montparnasse. We had two rooms: one room had one queen bed and the other had two twins and a very small single bed that folded out of a chair. (*Not* a sofa or loveseat - a chair.) On the plus side, the twin mattresses were quite comfortable and actually a little wider and longer than I remember twin beds of my youth. Each one will sleep a full-sized adult comfortably. The chair-bed is closer to child sized, and it worked well for our 9-year-old daughter.

Rooms are quite small, as you'd expect for Paris. Hotel is otherwise pleasant and well-located. Wifi signal was fairly strong throughout our rooms. Air conditioner was pleasantly sufficient to keep the rooms cool...we'd arrived from our prior hotel (not an IHG hotel) where the A/C was woefully weak.

The front door of the hotel is literally 10 meters from the Gaite metro station and a 5-minute walk to the Montparnasse metro. You'll use both stations often during a stay at this hotel, as Montparnasse is a hub for 3 or 4 lines whereas Gaite only has one.

The Air France buses to/from the airports pick up and drop off at Montparnasse. Easy walk to/from the hotel, even with luggage. We opted for this over hauling luggage through the RER and Metro and were quite happy with it.

Plenty of bars/restaurants within a block or two of the hotel.

Overall, a decent stay. I'd probably want to be a *little* closer to the popular attractions if I only needed a double room, but if you need a triple this is a good option a couple metro stops away.
pinniped is offline  
Old Aug 14, 13, 8:45 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 25
I was at the Holiday Inn Express La Villette and had a family room with Double bed and fold down single bed, We asked for a nice view of the canal and had one.
trainspotter is offline  
Old Aug 14, 13, 12:33 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Posts: 1,171
I like the CDG one its 20k per night ( or used to be ) if you can be bothered going in and out every day, I am just going by your frugal comment thinking you may put up with this, it could also open up the option to book 2 rooms.

double bed with sofa bed is a listed option on reward points for 10-11 Oct random dates

you get free bus to CDG, and can get 6 euro train tickets right to the absolute centre of paris every 20 mins or less
drspear is offline  
Old Aug 14, 13, 12:56 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 49,179
Originally Posted by drspear View Post
I like the CDG one its 20k per night ( or used to be ) if you can be bothered going in and out every day, I am just going by your frugal comment thinking you may put up with this, it could also open up the option to book 2 rooms.

double bed with sofa bed is a listed option on reward points for 10-11 Oct random dates

you get free bus to CDG, and can get 6 euro train tickets right to the absolute centre of paris every 20 mins or less
That'd be a good option for a flight layover, but I think it'd make for a less enjoyable visit if the intent is spending time actually in Paris.

Plus, didn't a lot of the redemption rates recently go up? I don't follow IHG closely - used a lot of my "Crack the Case" stash on this Paris stay - but IIRC correctly I booked these rooms 8-9 months ago at 25k a night and everything is now 30k. So I wonder if that CDG option also jumped 5k ??
pinniped is offline  
Old Aug 14, 13, 1:05 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Posts: 1,171
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
That'd be a good option for a flight layover, but I think it'd make for a less enjoyable visit if the intent is spending time actually in Paris.

Plus, didn't a lot of the redemption rates recently go up? I don't follow IHG closely - used a lot of my "Crack the Case" stash on this Paris stay - but IIRC correctly I booked these rooms 8-9 months ago at 25k a night and everything is now 30k. So I wonder if that CDG option also jumped 5k ??
just checked its 20k per night, I have used this hotel as the base before as I was tight for points as my base for Paris centre, takes 25 mins CDG to Chatelet les Halles station.
drspear is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: