Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC*P, SPG
Limit one free night per name on reservation, per Stay and per hotel for any seven day period. A Stay is one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel location, regardless of frequency of check-in/check-out.
Sorry, noob question here, but "...per hotel for any seven day period":

If I have two stays at two different IHG properties within 7 seven days, and I file BRG claims for both, am I entitled to one valid claim, or both?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Ambo, HH Gold, Marriott VC AP Owner, AA Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Estratos
My second claim for a different hotel in PEK. Not so obvious to IHG :/

1. I booked the cheapest best available rate (best flexible with breakfast) for CNY1168.
2. I found the exact same room with breakfast for CNY1068 at a 3rd party site.
3. Filed a claim.
4. Got response (with screenshots!) of the 3rd party site's rate being 1068 and the updated rate at ihg.com for the same room for CNY1068.

And now they are denying to honour BRG, because the IHG and 3rdPS rates are the same. Of course they are, because they have changed it!

Shouldn't they compare the cheapest avaialble price at the moment of my booking with the 3rd party site's price at the moment of their verification?
That's why you should always call in your claim rather than fill out the online form!!! I'm 2 for 2 so far with an Intercon in Southeast Asia.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:23 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Both. This text just means that you can't get 2 nights at the same hotel within a 7 day period.

Originally Posted by incognism
Sorry, noob question here, but "...per hotel for any seven day period":

If I have two stays at two different IHG properties within 7 seven days, and I file BRG claims for both, am I entitled to one valid claim, or both?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:58 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Hi I have a night approved and mrs xcalx has the following night approved will this cause any problems (didnt add additional name to reservation)

regards
cal
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by xcalx
Hi I have a night approved and mrs xcalx has the following night approved will this cause any problems (didnt add additional name to reservation)

regards
cal
As a hotel manager, let me chime in on this one.

Many countries require that all guests in a room be officially registered. This is due to local regulations and many countries require that the guest list be passed onto the local authorities on a nightly basis.

If this is the case, your wife will added onto the reservation at check-in by default.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:30 am

Slow response

My first claim was approved within 36 hours. The initial agent apparently was no longer available but someone had quickly picked up the trail.

But for my second claim, after the initial "please modify your Fully Flexible Rate to Advance Purchase Rate if you want the claim to qualify" email, which I did... I followed up 24 hours later, and still haven't received a reply 48 hours on. Not sure if their operations rules state that as long as there's an agent on the case, then no other agent is to touch it.

Last edited by carrotjuice; Sep 28, 2011 at 1:49 pm
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rownada
Has anyone heard anything from the BRG team in the last 24 hours? Are they affected by the typhoon in the Philippines or did they simply 'lost' my claim? :-s
My last contact from the BRG team dates back to yesterday 1am EST. No other communication since, and also no reply to a different claim that dates back to the day before yesterday 6am EST.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:12 am

When I tried to do a price promise with Mothercare recently, I rang them up and told them where I'd seen the item cheaper. They then checked whilst I was on the phone agreed and noted it down in my account as the money hadn't actually been taken for the item at that point. Agreed that it's ridiculous if they're not going to check hotel prices for days.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:59 am

Data Point: I received the email that states that they have verified the rate and have contacted the hotel to request the stay to be complimentary. That was Monday @ 4:30pm CST. Since then I haven't heard anything.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: LH M&M - US AIR - BMI - HYATT - SPG - SIXT - PP
I have just made my first BRG claim. The IHG Rate was 164.00 EUR and I found a 3rd party site for the same room/dates for 163.00 EUR.

About 5 minutes after my booking at IHG, I filed the claim and made screenshots just in case.

-I have had no reply to my online-claim so far-

After about 6 hours the rate has been pulled from the 3rd party site. If IHG hasn't verified the rate as of now.. are screenshots fine as a proof?

Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by asmallworld

After about 6 hours the rate has been pulled from the 3rd party site. If IHG hasn't verified the rate as of now.. are screenshots fine as a proof?

Screenshot has worked for me.

It appears that they are quite slow to check rates and respond. Always take a screenshot, as the 3rd party rate may very well disappear.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by asmallworld
I have just made my first BRG claim. The IHG Rate was 164.00 EUR and I found a 3rd party site for the same room/dates for 163.00 EUR.

About 5 minutes after my booking at IHG, I filed the claim and made screenshots just in case.

-I have had no reply to my online-claim so far-

It probably won't be accepted anyway. It has to be at least $5.00 if using different currencies per the T&C. 1 Euro is less than $5. More on this in a second...
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
So my friend and I are going to Rome. I booked the Intercontinental hotel at 365 Euros, which was the flexible rate. Kayak had the rate for a little less. I submitted the claim over the phone and was told that it was only $1.49 difference so they couldn’t honor it since a currency exchange had to be more than $5.00 difference. The IHG site had Euros and Kayak had US dollars. I canceled the booking.

I booked the same hotel on the same date for 1000 Euros for a Suite with a separate Living Room. Same deal as above. It turns out that there was a $5.12 difference in price. The agent said that they round down and the claim had to be more than $5.00. I pointed out that the T&C stated at it had to be AT LEAST $5.00 less when converting currencies. This means that even if they rounded down to $5.00, I would have met that threshold. She kept insisting that the policy was MORE THAN $5.00 and finally relented that she understood what I was saying, agreed, but that the claim would be denied. She recommended that I try for a lower rate. So, I canceled the booking.

I then went through the same steps and booked the Penthouse Suite with a terrace view for 2,500 Euros per night. With the conversion, the difference in price was $12.79. This one actually got approved. However, she has to pass the request over to the hotel itself for approval. (Not sure why) Haven’t received an email confirmation yet, but she gave me a case number. I asked if it was because the claim was so high stakes and she said yes. I can see NO good reason why this claim would be denied per the BRG. Whether the threshold is $5 or 5 Euros, I’ve cleared the hurdle.

Not optimistic…but if it works out, that’s one heck of a score. I would have been perfectly happy with a lesser room. So, we tempted fate and had my friend do the same thing for the next night. He got the exact same response. The only great part about this is that the Penthouse's lowest rate is a Flexible one. If I'm denied, I lose nothing.

Last edited by spankytoes; Sep 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by Hawkwind1966
I am a long time Platinum member Staying 50+ nights a year. Following the announcement of the new offer - I thought I would test it.

I found a cheaper price within 24 hours that met all the criteria describe (same room type and terms etc).

I filled in the on-line form and submitted. I was told they would get back within 24 hours.

After a weekend wait I called them, but ICH could not find my application (this has happened to me with other issues I have raised using their forms system and I have been told by an agent that it does seem to happen)

The suggestion that I was either confused or was lying. They could not find the offer on Opodo, so would not provide the free night.

I have tried to complain, but have spent ages being sent around different departments and cut off. Finanally last night I was promised a manager would call be back within half an hour, but has failed to do so. This is a very different experience to that I have been used to with ICH and Priority Club - it seems (now that many of our calls from the UK go to the US) that the level of service provided in the US by ICH is not the same as I have been used to in the UK.

However, here is the important thing that I really wanted to explain to the manager in the US. They have built an offer that is dependent on them checking the3rd party website provided by the customer to see if a cheaper price is available.

As prices on the web and hotel availability changes in real time, this is not possible and will result in the offer identified not being available by the time they check. This can be true is it is 1 minute later or longer.

As they are using this as the evidence onto whether to agree to their offer or not - it is always going to be unfair on the customer (and this offer is for loyal card carrying customers) unless they are lucky and the same hotel offer is available at that moment.

At a minimum this is going to create dissatisfaction with loyal customers which surely cannot be the purpose of the offer. More importantly, it (in my view) is against the Fair Trade Act within the UK and as the phone calls are charged in the UK, it could also be an issue for Trading Standards - it unintentially looks like a marketing scam of old (phone this chargable number for a prize that either doesnt exist or is valued at less than the cost of the call). I have put this into an email into ICH and await a response. However, as a long term loyal customer who is usually complementary about ICH (check my previous posts) this annoys me greatly and unless I get a sensible reply with an improvement to the way this offer is managed, it is my duty to raise it with Trading Standards for investigation. It is simple to solve - they need uis to supply the evidence - which is a cut of the web page at the moment we are raising the request or use their CRM to trust that their loyal customers are not lying to them (this is how Amazon work - and they seem quite successful at retaining loyalty).

However, it would also be wrong of me to just accept that this is how I (we) loyal customers should be treated, I am now booking outside of ICH and doing the same for my teams until this is resolved - OK a few dozen bookings isn't going to go noticed by them, but it does make me feel better.

Please just take this as a personal warning to this new offer, you are welcome to try it for yourself - maybe I have just been unlucky.
Had almost identical experience myself, £ 95 online for Holiday inn glasgow airport, £ 55 travelzoo same room, same terms.

By time they looked at my complaint, the rate had of course gone ( about 4 hrs later ) this was the night before the proposed stay.

I too got cut off from phillipines they clearly did not have the first idea why I was complaining and were in full " back to you within 3 days" mode.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: LH M&M - US AIR - BMI - HYATT - SPG - SIXT - PP
Originally Posted by spankytoes
It probably won't be accepted anyway. It has to be at least $5.00 if using different currencies per the T&C. 1 Euro is less than $5. More on this in a second...
Both prices are in EUR...

164.00 EUR @ IHG
163.00 EUR @ 3rd Party

In same currency it must be 1 USD difference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.