Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Cozumel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
InterContinental Cozumel Master Thread

There isn't a master thread about this hotel, nor is there really much (recent) info in the RA thread or anywhere else on FT for that matter.

Anyone have any recent RA (or A) experience at this hotel? I'm planning on using a BOGO here, and they offer everything up to the Presidential Suite when I'm planning on staying. What sort of upgrade should we expect? Any opinions/suggestions about this place?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: DL SM, UA 2P, US Silver, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat RA, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I'm just a lowly plat ambassador, not an RA...but I wouldn't expect too much in terms of an upgrade. I went in January and the resort was completely EMPTY. I still only got a 1-level upgrade. I did book with free night awards, though. I was not impressed with the ocean view room, and asked to be downgraded back to the pool view room which also had direct access to the pool and an outdoor shower! If you're paying for a room, definitely go for the ocean front room! I think it's totally worth the $! The presidential suite is nice, but not so necessary unless you have a larger group of people. I think it'd be too big and empty if there are only 2 of you. Here's my review: http://severewanderlust.com/2011/01/...ozumel-resort/
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks, CK82. Do you happen to have more pictures of the rooms you'd be willing to share?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:14 pm

There are some existing threads for the IC Presidente Cozumel Resort Spa, but they are older. Here is a recent thread with a possible contact at the hotel.....if you are interested:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...nental+cozumel
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
There are some existing threads for the IC Presidente Cozumel Resort Spa, but they are older. Here is a recent thread with a possible contact at the hotel.....if you are interested:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...nental+cozumel
Thanks, I did see that thread. I was hoping that some RAs might come out of the woodwork and let me know what their experience was. Alas, I might just go in blind with them. I have a BOGO to blow and I'm going to Cozumel soooo....
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
Thanks, I did see that thread. I was hoping that some RAs might come out of the woodwork and let me know what their experience was. Alas, I might just go in blind with them. I have a BOGO to blow and I'm going to Cozumel soooo....
Okay, the wife and I stayed there a couple of years ago and I was RA at the time. They picked us up at the airport in a black Suburban. We stayed there for three nights. I used the BOGO so I paid for one, one was free and the third was on points. I made sure that the first night was the paid night so we got upgraded to the ocean suite from the garden suite with a little veranda/balcony that opened up to a view of the ocean and beach. It was excellent and we had a great time. We ate one night in the hotel restaurant, once in town and the other I don't remember. Got a fruit plate, free movie, some free alcohol of some sort was left for us and the wife loved the bathtub with the big picture window facing the beach. We didn't get the ground floor beach front room that they show on the website, but it was very similar and very nice.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:04 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by randidliyo
Okay, the wife and I stayed there a couple of years ago..
what time of year was your stay?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: NWA, AC, HH, PC
I stayed at this hotel in Sept 2010 , hotel was empty, we were 11 guests. The tour with regular room was closed, got bumped to beach view deluxe room on second floor.
I went back for New Year 2010-2011 and I got bumped to beach view deluxe room first floor (much better)
I was ambassador at that time.
Hotel is nice, nothing around. I suggest to rent a car from the ferry or airport, it's much cheaper and convenient. Parking is free
they have a on site dive shop, if you pay cash, you get 10% discount
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
what time of year was your stay?
It was between Christmas and NYE from what I recall.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by randidliyo
It was between Christmas and NYE from what I recall.
thanks, I was curious as that is when we plan to go.

In another thread someone stated they ran into sand fleas on the beach at IC Cozumel. Anyone else have this issue?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:45 am

If the "sand fleas" they refer to are these:
Mole Crabs-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerita_(genus)
....then you have nothing to worry about, and they are good fishing bait.

But if they are talking about this:
Sand Fly or Midges-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandfly
....then you will want to have some insect repellent (w/DEET for example).
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:53 pm

Went there in March 2011. Room was about a 2nd tier room in terms of size. Had a patio that looked upon one of the pools. If I remember correctly, we used 40K/night. Listened to the ambasador sales pitch and got a discount on a jeep for two days to drive around. If you plan to drive around the island, that is the way to go. The light house on the south end of the island is in a park that requires an admission charge. They advertise it being an alligator park. Though the view from top of the lighthouse was fun, the park was overall very sad. Did see three whole aligators in a lake.

Property is about 10 minutes south of San Miguel and a taxi was about $8

I felt the Intercontinental was alot of "smoke and mirrors". We asked about an upgrade but were told the place was full. That was funny as we were the only ones at the pool and the snack bar didn't even open. The place IS clean but we were bored to death. They talked about all the stuff to do there but we never saw anything materialize. The restaurant quality was so so and expensive. The other snack bar near the restaurants will happily make you a hamburger and fries for about $12. Found the dive shop on the property to be expensive. The property is next to a marina where you can find diving (by walking through a hole in the fence) for alot less. Daughter and I went on a two tank dive. All equipment provided, snack and water cost us $150 (plus tip) for the both of us.

In the end, after staying there three nights, we went into town and stayed there. If you are looking for quiet seclusion, this place is good. If you like walking the town and seeing "stuff" and shopping, stay in town.

Last edited by davidb4775; Jul 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
If the "sand fleas" they refer to are these:
Mole Crabs-

But if they are talking about this:
Sand Fly or Midges-
the latter as they mentioned biting. I knew about mole crabs but didn't know they were called sand fleas. thanks.

Appreciate the feedback davidb4775^
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:04 pm

we stayed there for our diving trip.
our beach view deluxe room on the first floor was nice with easy access to the dive center. even if u don't dive, the snorkeling is amazing.
the food at the hotel wasn't bad, though we enjoyed our food in town much more as we got to try all kinds of local food
and the iguanas on the hotel beach were cute, too!!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:36 am
Original Poster

For those who might consider this property -- I emailed asking about typical upgrades.

I am a Royal Ambassador member. Can you please provide me with a list of typical upgrades that you provide for each room type?
Example if you booking with normally rates ( Pool View Room upgrade to a Beach Front Room. )
( Ocean View Room upgrade to a Reef Room.)
( Beach Front Room upgrade to Ocean Suite One bedroom.)

When staying on reward nights all ambassador and Royal Ambassador privileges apply with exception of upgrade.

Do you offer transfer service from the airport? If yes, could you please advise me of the cost?

Private transportation from Airport to the hotel the cost is $25 USD per person, one way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.