Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have no free night certificates currently unused, but I would cancel a reservations made with free night certs and make different reservations if I knew I could. Is there some way to check availability without holding a cert? Actually, I would do this with three certs and make three consecutive reservations. Would making a fake reservation for one night at a time tell me if the desired hotel has a more-than-one-night minimum? In other words, would the same minimum apply to cash bookings and free night certs?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:20 am

1) Is there a way to search all hotels that have the annual free night available?

2) Do hotels change whether they accept the annual free night stay? I swear that the IHG in Aruba accepted the annual free night stay when I looked last week but now they don't.

thanks
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy
1) Is there a way to search all hotels that have the annual free night available?
thanks
Isn’t it just simply every night that has standard award availability, or the free night different inventory?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Isn’t it just simply every night that has standard award availability, or the free night different inventory?
It seems like there used to be a correlation between award nights and Chase nights, but that is no longer always the case. I have seen several instances of one being available while the other is not lately. It is fairly easy to search for a Chase free night on the website and app, but variable pricing means that there is no set rhyme or reason for which properties will or will not have an available night at any given time. The bottom line is that during low demand, the room may cost 37500 points (Chase eligible), but with more demand, that same room could cost 67500 points (not eligible). Welcome to the hellish world of devaluation, as IHG slowly becomes as horrible as Hilton Honors.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Marriott just extended their free night certificate expiration to January 3, 2022. Any news on whether IHG may something similar?
KathyWdrf likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:12 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It would be nice for the CC certs and the AMB free (weekend) night certs, but don't count on it. IHG have been very good at showing disregard and ignoring any consideration for doing the right thing in the past few months so I'm not holding my breath that they feel compelled to do anything now. We shall see. YMMV.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EdofFX
Marriott just extended their free night certificate expiration to January 3, 2022. Any news on whether IHG may something similar?
I've noticed that most Cat 5 Marriott hotels are pricing at peak level and not eligible for the free night. While it's nice they are extending the expiration, they have essentially rendered the free nights unusable at most cat 5 hotels.

Last edited by SP03; May 2, 2021 at 12:31 pm
Old May 1, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I have an uncapped free night that will expire in August. any data point about booking and cancelling will reset the expiration while keeping the cert uncapped?
Old May 1, 2021, 10:37 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
From what I'm aware of there is no such thing as a "reset" from making a booking and then cancelling. The cert will just expire unless IHG agrees to extend it (or deposit a new one instead). YMMV.
DoB840 likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 4:02 am

I have a cert currently attached to a booking. I think this one was the one expiring at the end of last year.
If I'd to change the date of the booking would I loose it?
Old May 10, 2021, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
I have an uncapped free night that will expire in August. any data point about booking and cancelling will reset the expiration while keeping the cert uncapped?
I'm in the exact same boat.

Uncapped cert issued in 2019 with a current expiry date of 8/31/2021.

My capped cert issued in 2020 was auto extended to 12/31/2021. Hope they will do the same with the uncapped cert.
Old May 19, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
GREAT news if true! Extension till end of 2021!!!

https://onemileatatime.com/ihg-exten...VIAbAf7im30TO4
Old May 19, 2021, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by christianj
GREAT news if true! Extension till end of 2021!!!

https://onemileatatime.com/ihg-exten...VIAbAf7im30TO4
They've been stealth extending certificates for a while now. But looks like it doesn't apply to certificates issued in 2019. Bummer.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
The certificate expiring in August 2021 were issued in Dec 2020. it was not an extension of the 2019 certificate because people were able to use it.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
The certificate expiring in August 2021 were issued in Dec 2020. it was not an extension of the 2019 certificate because people were able to use it.
I hope you are right. As of now, my uncapped cert is still expiring August 2021 and capped cert was extended to December 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.