Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Doha (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
IC Doha (Master Thread)

At the front desk of the InterContinental Doha, they told me that as a Royal Ambassador I had been upgraded to the club floor and to check in there. I did, and the lady there told me that I had been upgraded to a suite (which I had noticed in my reservation a few days before check-in). I asked whether I had access (perhaps I shouldn't have asked!) to the club, and she said no, that would be an upcharge of QAR 350 (about $95) per night.

I didn't complain, because I know that I was not supposed to automatically receive club access. However, this was the first time that I had been placed on the club floor but wasn't given access to the club. So what's the point? Are the rooms nicer? Unlike, for example, Marriott, I don't think that club rooms at ICs have additional amenities (e.g., bathrobes, premium newspapers). Is internet supposed to be free on the club floor (it wasn't)? I suppose that I had access to the club floor reception area, which in theory is worth something, but besides that I don't think that there is a difference. (Of course, it could be that this was the only suite left, or it was incidental that I was on the club floor, but I don't think that this is typical, either.)

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had this experience?

By the way, overall, the hotel pretty much met my expectations:

-- The service was hapless (club floor reception, bartenders, and concierge especially) but friendly (especially the guys at the pool and beach bars).
-- The room was clean and modern but a bit less lavish than I expected. I got an upgrade to the Diplomatic suite, with a bedroom and separate sitting room, separated by large sliding doors. It had 1.5 bathrooms.
-- The pool and beach area were quite attractive. There were multiple food and beverage outlets outside, but alcohol was hard to come by (e.g., the staff at the bar by the pool and the one one the beach each had to walk quite a distance to the main in-pool bar to get anything besides beer) and the drinks were pretty poor.
-- The food was so-so. The breakfast buffet was excellent overall -- virtually all five-star hotels in the Middle East have great breakfast buffets, but I'd rate this one this one above average. The "Tex-Mex" place, Paloma, was basically a disaster. There are a few other outlets (Fish Market and an Italian place) that look good.
-- Based on my one stay here, my one stay at the Ritz-Carlton, and talking to people around town, I get the impression that the IC is more Western-, leisure- and Western family-oriented, and a bit more lively, whereas the RC caters more to Arabs and business-people and is more sedate.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:44 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
It`s common, the get a suite on the club floor without club access.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
:
Originally Posted by szg
It`s common, the get a suite on the club floor without club access.
and it is common to pay outrageously high prices in Qatar
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by nicolas75
:

and it is common to pay outrageously high prices in Qatar
That's for sure, especially for alcohol. I had assumed that it would be comparable to the UAE, Oman, and Bahrain, but it actually seems more restrictive. Alcohol is available in fewer places (e.g., not the three-star-type hotels, not at inbound duty free), although there is actually a liquor store in Qatar available, via much paperwork, to foreigners. It's also much more expensive, e.g., QAR 45 (about $12.50) for even the most basic cocktail, which has almost no liquor. I could swear that the bloody mary I got by the pool had no vodka, so I insisted on another shot.

I imagine that this is due to sin taxes on alcohol? Perhaps, but also maybe due to the limited competition and lack of economies of scale. I will be happy when all of the new upscale hotels (e.g., Shangri-La, W, Marriott x3, Hilton, Grand Hyatt) open, providing more choices.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:38 am
Original Poster

No more alcohol in mini-bar

There appears to be no master thread for Doha; perhaps the moderators would like to re-title this thread and/or move it to the sub-forum for reviews.

Anyway, I have now stayed here many times more since my first review, and my impression hasn't changed much. The front desk is pretty slow and inept (literally 80% of the times when I check-out, the bill is wrong -- either they charge for mini-bar beverages, charge for breakfast or internet when my room rate includes it, forget a laundry charge, etc.), but the F&B operation is good overall. The breakfast is even improved from previously (they have Arabic coffee, plus balila in addition to foul ), and they have opened a couple of additional outlets.

The hotel, especially the guest rooms, feels dated, even though it's less than ten years old, but certainly has all of the amenities that one would need.

In any event, last week they told me that the minibar would no longer contain alcohol. (There's a placard in the minibar area directing guests to call room service for alcohol, though that doesn't do RAs much good.) The front desk told me that it was a new Qatar government regulation. I am a bit dubious; in two separate stays at the Hyatt since then, the minibar had alcohol. I will have to check out the other hotels and see.

As a consolation, they said that minibar food would also be complimentary for RAs. ^ Of course, some guests might find this a net improvement. They do have a nice box of assorted dates. . .
Old May 15, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by mecabq
At the front desk of the InterContinental Doha, they told me that as a Royal Ambassador I had been upgraded to the club floor and to check in there. I did, and the lady there told me that I had been upgraded to a suite (which I had noticed in my reservation a few days before check-in). I asked whether I had access (perhaps I shouldn't have asked!) to the club, and she said no, that would be an upcharge of QAR 350 (about $95) per night.

I didn't complain, because I know that I was not supposed to automatically receive club access. However, this was the first time that I had been placed on the club floor but wasn't given access to the club. So what's the point? Are the rooms nicer? Unlike, for example, Marriott, I don't think that club rooms at ICs have additional amenities (e.g., bathrobes, premium newspapers). Is internet supposed to be free on the club floor (it wasn't)? I suppose that I had access to the club floor reception area, which in theory is worth something, but besides that I don't think that there is a difference. (Of course, it could be that this was the only suite left, or it was incidental that I was on the club floor, but I don't think that this is typical, either.)

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had this experience?

By the way, overall, the hotel pretty much met my expectations:

-- The service was hapless (club floor reception, bartenders, and concierge especially) but friendly (especially the guys at the pool and beach bars).
-- The room was clean and modern but a bit less lavish than I expected. I got an upgrade to the Diplomatic suite, with a bedroom and separate sitting room, separated by large sliding doors. It had 1.5 bathrooms.
-- The pool and beach area were quite attractive. There were multiple food and beverage outlets outside, but alcohol was hard to come by (e.g., the staff at the bar by the pool and the one one the beach each had to walk quite a distance to the main in-pool bar to get anything besides beer) and the drinks were pretty poor.
-- The food was so-so. The breakfast buffet was excellent overall -- virtually all five-star hotels in the Middle East have great breakfast buffets, but I'd rate this one this one above average. The "Tex-Mex" place, Paloma, was basically a disaster. There are a few other outlets (Fish Market and an Italian place) that look good.
-- Based on my one stay here, my one stay at the Ritz-Carlton, and talking to people around town, I get the impression that the IC is more Western-, leisure- and Western family-oriented, and a bit more lively, whereas the RC caters more to Arabs and business-people and is more sedate.
I would ask to talk to the manager.

I had the same problem in Tel Aviv. I finally asked to see the manager the day before I left. The manager apologized profusly and blamed it on a computer error/training problem and said I should have been given Club access.
Old May 16, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: Royal Ambasdor
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
I would ask to talk to the manager.

I had the same problem in Tel Aviv. I finally asked to see the manager the day before I left. The manager apologized profusly and blamed it on a computer error/training problem and said I should have been given Club access.
I use to be RA back several years
in arabs country they dont want to understand they policy
so I cancel my requist

shame on them hotels and ambassdor
Old May 16, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
[...]
Originally Posted by nersiyan
I use to be RA back several years
in arabs country they dont want to understand they policy
so I cancel my requist

shame on them hotels and ambassdor
Please bear in mind that the quoted experience is 2 years old. Policy has changed since then.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

InterContinental Doha

I stayed at the InterContinental Doha a couple of weeks ago using a few free nights from the "Sweet Dilemma" promotion. Overall I had a pretty good stay, though the hotel was by no means great. That being said, as an RA I found it to be quite a good value. You can read all about it here.

If I returned to Doha (which I don't plan on doing), I might try out the Grand Hyatt just for comparison.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:43 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
bumping this thread.
I'm thinking about using some UA miles for an award ticket on QR and doing a 23hr stopover in DOH.
Any comparison of the 2 IC there?
What about the visa issue? How does one go about getting the visa?
Old May 4, 2012, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by jason8612
bumping this thread.
I'm thinking about using some UA miles for an award ticket on QR and doing a 23hr stopover in DOH.
Any comparison of the 2 IC there?
What about the visa issue? How does one go about getting the visa?
To get the terms right a 23 hours transfer is NOT a stopover.

The entry requirements are dependent what passport you have. Most of the western countries are eligible for visa on arrival. They can swipe your CC for the payment. Very easy.

I have not stayed at the new IC, but the old one is OLD.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:58 am

Love this hotel best in the middle east

InterContinental Doha

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

InterContinental Doha

Al Istiqlal Road West Bay Doha, QA 6822

Love this hotel best in the middle east (0 Photo)

InterContinental Doha

IC Doha
Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked King Superior, upgraded to Water view club access

How are the rooms?
The room is comfortable .  heard little noise and slept enough to counter jetlag from Australia
How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge is on M level .staff cannot do enough and the breakfast is great then at 1pm they have a lunch menu wonderful tomato soup and either chicken sandwich or pasta.  both excellent
Did you receive a welcome gift?
a chocolate with my name on it and a lovely fridge magnet on departure.'also offered 600 pts or 2 drinks which I took the drinks were worth the choice
How was the minibar?
French white Australian red and the usual pepsi. perrier etc

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
Location, nice lounge, upgrade to water view, water refilled daily, friendly staff 

-Bad

no french champagne in mini bar!!!

WOULD YOU RETURN

I am already planning my return if I can keep RA

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? 
Yes

Love this hotel best in the middle east

Would you like to write a review on the InterContinental Doha?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
A marked contrast to my recent stay (a stay of about 9 hours when the lounge was shut), where the initial upgrade offer was to a 'club room" which effectively wasn't an upgrade at all. Finally pushed them to give me a suite which was less than capacious.

Welcome bar of chocolate in envelope with letter, no other welcome amenity, minibar was rubbish with OK half bottle of red, cheap Spanish half bottle of white and no spirits.

Absolutely would never return will be the SR across the road for me next time.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
No recent reviews of this place? Anyone by chance remember if they offer pressing service or similar amenity?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Another12 months any recent experiences

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
No recent reviews of this place? Anyone by chance remember if they offer pressing service or similar amenity?
Got a 24 hour stopover next week on the QR package rate.

I'm still IHG Spire but after several attempts my Ambassador renewal just didn't process this spring. As an apology they maintained my Spire.

Will renew Ambassador before Spire expires.

1. Is it worth the effort for this hotel? I understand they probably don't even need to recognise Ambassador status on this rate.
2. Is it worth renewing at the hotel?

The prices quoted by posters online for Club Lounge upgrade look crazy - especially as the price difference between Deluxe and Club room for cash bookings looks minimal this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.