Checking Out of HI's without being there?

Old Dec 2, 10, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Question Checking Out of HI's without being there?

How feasible is it to check out of a HI property if you've already physically left the place?

I've got two consecutive nights booked for later next week at a HI. I've booked an paid Advanced Purchase Rates and will need to use the first night. However, I've discovered (at understandably short notice) that I will actually be attending a funeral requiring a bit of travel to attend for the second day. I could travel all the way back to the hotel that evening, but I'd rather not, considering the event is near to my home and the hotel isn't.

I've signed up to the Stay 2 nights Get 1 night promotion and have a reasonbly cheap rate for the second night (the first night is expensive though) which is why I made the second night booking in the first place.

Rather than cancel the booking (non-refundable pre-paid anyway) I'm wondering if I can simply telephone the hotel front desk in the morning and tell them I forgot to check out?

Do you think this would work if I've already pre-paid? Anyone tried?
Old Dec 2, 10, 4:59 pm

Programs: Too many...
It is my understanding that it is one free night per stay rather than per two nights stayed. Given that you are staying at the same hotel for consecutive nights rather than two different ones they will regard it as one stay regardless of the fact that you have two separate reservations.

As such it will only count for 1 stay anyway so you may as well just check out after the first night.

J
Old Dec 2, 10, 5:03 pm

Programs: Too many...
From the Sweet Dilemma T&C's:

4. Free Nights Promotion: The Free Nights Promotion is: One free night at participating hotels for every two Qualifying Stays paid and stayed at any IHG hotel worldwide (except in Asia Pacific countries), including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Express by Holiday Inn™, Staybridge Suites®, and Candlewood Suites® hotels (the “Free Nights Promotion”), between September 20, 2010 and December 31, 2010 (the “Promotion Period”). Registration into The Free Nights Promotion will end on December 20, 2010. Members registered for the Free Nights Promotion who have completed the appropriate number of Qualifying stays will automatically be emailed of notification that they have qualified for a free room night at participating hotels (“Free Night Notification”). The e-mail will be sent to the email address that is on the Priority Club Member Profile at that time. Member must maintain current, valid email address in Member Profile to receive Free Nights Promotion communications. The free room night includes only the room rate and applicable taxes (“Free Night”). Free Night Notifications will be e-mailed beginning on or about November 1, 2010; date of e-mail will vary based on check-out date and when the stay is recorded by PCR. Allow up to 14 days from check-out for receipt of Free Night Notification.
5. What is a Stay? A “Stay” is defined as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out.

Note my bolding, this appears to confirm that you would only get credit for one stay anyway.

J
Old Dec 2, 10, 6:13 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
You definitely will only get 1 stay credit for the Sweet Dilemma promo regardless of whether you stay for 1 night or 2 consecutive nights at the same hotel. You will, however, get each night count towards Crack the Case, if you are enrolled for that promo too.

But if I was you I'd phone or email the hotel and explain to them that you have to attend a funeral for the second night, and ask them if they would be willing to refund you under the circumstances. If not, then ask if they could defer the second night to another date, if that may be useful to you in the future? Some hotels will do this, others won't, but it's worth asking.

Good luck!
Old Dec 2, 10, 6:14 pm
Used to be planetrain

Programs: United, Marriott
Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
How feasible is it to check out of a HI property if you've already physically left the place?

I've got two consecutive nights booked for later next week at a HI. I've booked an paid Advanced Purchase Rates and will need to use the first night. However, I've discovered (at understandably short notice) that I will actually be attending a funeral requiring a bit of travel to attend for the second day. I could travel all the way back to the hotel that evening, but I'd rather not, considering the event is near to my home and the hotel isn't.

I've signed up to the Stay 2 nights Get 1 night promotion and have a reasonbly cheap rate for the second night (the first night is expensive though) which is why I made the second night booking in the first place.

Rather than cancel the booking (non-refundable pre-paid anyway) I'm wondering if I can simply telephone the hotel front desk in the morning and tell them I forgot to check out?

Do you think this would work if I've already pre-paid? Anyone tried?
To answer the other question, I never check-out of hotels. I just leave and never say a word to the hotel. I put my card on file when I checked-in, they always charge me. Checking in is the only thing you need to physically be there for.
Old Dec 2, 10, 9:39 pm

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
I never bother checking out in person unless there is a problem with the bill or something like that.
Old Dec 3, 10, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Thanks folks. Very quick response.
I hadn't realise the promotion was per-stay!
I obviously didn't pay enough attention to the detail. So much for booking that second night.
Old Dec 3, 10, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
Thanks folks. Very quick response.
I hadn't realise the promotion was per-stay!
I obviously didn't pay enough attention to the detail. So much for booking that second night.
Free night promos are almost always per stay. It would be foolish to award them on a per night basis, even those many stays comprise just one night. Abuse would be rampant, doing what you surmised...i.e. book lots of consecutive nights at a low-cost property, check in but never physically check out, and not even stay at the property, just rack up the max number of nights required to earn the max number of free nights.
Old Dec 3, 10, 8:27 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Free night promos are almost always per stay. It would be foolish to award them on a per night basis, even those many stays comprise just one night. Abuse would be rampant, doing what you surmised...i.e. book lots of consecutive nights at a low-cost property, check in but never physically check out, and not even stay at the property, just rack up the max number of nights required to earn the max number of free nights.
IIRC last year they had this 1 night for every 2 nights promo upto a max of 4 free nights or something..tht was easy.. making it 1 free night every 2 stays makes it lil tough than that..
Old Dec 3, 10, 6:23 pm

I also do not check out in person unless there is a reason to usually.
Old Dec 3, 10, 9:21 pm

sorry to jump in

regards to the check-out sitution.

do you just ''leave'' whenever you like on the chek-out day without visiting the front deck? (assumed before the required check-out time + bill is correctly charged and credit card is in the file)

does is work at all the IHG's hotels?

cheers
Old Dec 4, 10, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by planetrain View Post
To answer the other question, I never check-out of hotels. I just leave and never say a word to the hotel. I put my card on file when I checked-in, they always charge me. Checking in is the only thing you need to physically be there for.
That's not really too polite to the hotel, is it? Knowing when you leave helps them plan logistics for the next guest. The least you could do is just say "I'm off" to the front desk.

Anyway, to stay on topic: IME, front desk staff at IHG hotels is pretty reasonable (at least over here in Europe), and they won't make a fuss for most requests to modify your stay, if they can accomodate it. Heck, if you're leaving early, they might even sell that room again at a higher rate
Old Dec 4, 10, 3:48 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I guess a lot of people don't actually stay, they check in, then walk back out again, so it's impossible to check out.
Old Dec 4, 10, 4:20 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by hdogan View Post
That's not really too polite to the hotel, is it? Knowing when you leave helps them plan logistics for the next guest. The least you could do is just say "I'm off" to the front desk.
I agree. It's common courtesy to tell them that you are leaving. Just walking out means that they can't clean your room until the latest checkout time.
Old Dec 4, 10, 10:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Doug_1970 View Post
I agree. It's common courtesy to tell them that you are leaving. Just walking out means that they can't clean your room until the latest checkout time.
Not true. Unless I put the Do Not Disturb sign on my room (which I do, unless it is missing), there are knocks on the door hours before the latest check-out time.

I don't feel bad about taking down the DND sign, leaving my key on the dresser, and then leaving.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: