Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Silom Bangkok (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Anyone get a reply back from that email address? I sent an email several days ago, no response.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:51 pm

Family stay?

Hi,

Is the HI Silom ok for travelling with wife and young kids? I mean, does the hotel allow hotel guests to take their "girlfriends" into the hotel and rooms and would this be so "obvious" that I better don´t take young children to this hotel?

I know that there don´t seem to be lots of hotels enforcing a strict "no girlfriend"-policy but it would be nice to know about the HIs as I consider them for my upcoming trip to BKK.

Thank you!

CCLSC
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
well, Patpong is not too far away but I have actually never seen this kind of "girlfriends" in the hotel. so no worries in this regard. the hotel btw. is really nice and in my opinion (still) rather feels like a CP if you stay in the better crown tower (= Premier Room).
most regular guests are air crew members (EK) btw.

BUT bare in mind that Silom is not exactly in the tourist center, so for places like Siam (incl. all the large shopping centers) you will have to travel for some time (traffic!). sky train might not be the best idea with small children. so think about this, maybe the HI next to the IC is the better choice for you.

Last edited by sultanbinaber; Jan 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
An article in The Nation today. I did not find it particularly useful but some here might.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011...-30146649.html
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by CCLSC
Hi,

Is the HI Silom ok for travelling with wife and young kids? I mean, does the hotel allow hotel guests to take their "girlfriends" into the hotel and rooms and would this be so "obvious" that I better don´t take young children to this hotel?

I know that there don´t seem to be lots of hotels enforcing a strict "no girlfriend"-policy but it would be nice to know about the HIs as I consider them for my upcoming trip to BKK.

Thank you!

CCLSC
I think the HI Silom will be OK, there are lots of guests who stay there and the lobby is big enough so that anybody bringing along a "girlfriend" isn't too obvious. HI Bangkok (near Chit Lom station) is much more family friendly I would say.
On the other hand the CP Bangkok is right next door to Thaniya street so a lot of Japanese businessmen who stay there tend to have some "take home" after dinner . (Speaking from my experience when the CP Bangkok was still Pan Pacific)
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
HI Silom will not allow children into the Club Lounge... as per email.
Hi Bangkok will allow. (tested)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by sweets61250
HI Silom will not allow children into the Club Lounge... as per email.
Hi Bangkok will allow. (tested)
I don't think Silom must enforce it that strictly - I was there for a couple of nights recently and saw at least two or three children with different families in the lounge.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I saw a few kids there in April.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:00 am

HI Bangkok Silom

I am posting my review that I did for TA. I added a few notes at the bottom of this as things that I rembembered after I posted my review. FYI, some of my comments earlier in this thread may not make sense since the thread was merged and some confusion before that as to what hotel we were talking about.

Arrival: We arrived from BKK airport late, about midnight. We took a public taxi. The fare was about 250THB and we did take the toll way even though the toll way is not always necessary that late. The tolls was about 70THB. Time to get to the airport from the airport was about 20-25 minutes...and that is asbout as quick as you could ever do it I think.

Check In: Check in was quick at the late hour. I was advised we were upgraded to a corner premier room as a Platinum Priority Club member. I was hoping for an upgrade to a club level as we had booked a room at a level just below that level.....the corner room is not bookable online. I hate it when your upgrade is to a made up category.

Room: When we arrived to our room, it was a bit strange as the guy bringing our luggage up was a little frantic and was scrambling around. After a few minutes we noticed why....our room was not clean. He apologized and ask us to go back down the to lobby. We went to the lobby and they said they did not have any other corner rooms available. We told them that we did not mind waiting as we planned to eat after the long trip anyway so they could just clean the room while we dined. After sitting down to eat at the 24 hour lobby restaurant the front desk lady came by to tell us to order whatever we want it was on the house due to our trouble. I was very surprised as it was not a huge ordeal for us. We ordered just some Thai dishes and I had some wine and did not expect it to be covered but to my surprise the waiter said we owed nothing when we ask for the bill. Once we got to our room it was actually very nicely decorated. The corner room was basically a premier room with a very big walk in closet with the closet having all windows along the wall and a small dressing table in it. NIce but nothing I would pay extra for. The room was very well decorated but showing a little wear in places....very nice room none the less.

Location: The location is not idea if you ask me. There is not a lot in the immediate area but you are close to the Surasak BTS (10-15 minute walk) which could be an un-comfortable walk when it is hot. To get a taxi to/from this area can be a reall pain also as the traffic is horrible along Silom Rd. You get a good deal on the hotel so you have to deal with a bad location I guess. As long as you understand that you will be spending a lot of time in a taxi and it will not be quick at times to get from point A to point B then you will be fine.

Restaurants: We at at the restaurant in the lobby area when we arrived and the food was quite good. Price was actually a little high but the same food items will cost you 30% more via room service and the menu is the same. The same menu is available at Harrys bar which has a happy hour till about 8PM and live music starting about 8 or 9PM. The bar is not very big but is a nice enough and service is "ok" but nothing great. We only had breakfast in the main restaurant which was very good but service was only fair there as well. There is also an Indian restaurant at this property but we did not eat there. We did have a couple of Indian dishes on the menu at the main restaurant which we were told came from the Indian restaurant and they were quite good.

Pool: Pool was pretty boring. Almost like it was an inconvenience or and after thought. It filled the need to swim and lay out but nothing nice at all.

Fitness: The hotel had a nice fitness area and a tennis court with equipment rental. I dont remember the price but it was reasonable.

Internet: This hotel had the most reasonable price for internet that I have seen among properties that charge for it. It was 300THB per day. Free is better but this is not as bad at the 600THB charge you see at other properties.

Misc: We had breakfast included in our room rate and when ask our departure time the check in clerk said since we were leaving before breakfast would start they could prepare a to go box for us or have room service breakfast. We preferred room service. Gave them the time and thought this is pretty cool. Well, they screwed it up and had to go boxes. We just gave them to the taxi driver and had hot food at the airport. Also, points did not post for dining and internet charges at the hotel. I contacted PC and they posted some but not all for the dining and internet...I gave up in the end. Please watch your points posting at this property as I have a feeling that is no accident and will be one that we will have to fight to get points correct.

Summary: I liked the rooms and dining outlets well enough but the location and the staff did not impress me. I think there are better options in this price range. If you are choosing between the other Priority Club hotels the other properities have a much more desirable location in my mind.

Lobby Lounge

Room

Room

Room

Room

Room

Closet Window

Closet

Dressing Table in Closet

Pool Area

Pool Area

Pool Area

Tennis Court

Fitness

Fitness

Fitness

Bar Area

Bar Area

Plaza Tower

Crowne Tower

HI Silom - Average Stay

I am posting my review that I did for TA. I added a few notes at the bottom of this as things that I rembembered after I posted my review. FYI, some of my comments earlier in this thread may not make sense since the thread was merged and some confusion before that as to what hotel we were talking about.

Arrival: We arrived from BKK airport late, about midnight. We took a public taxi. The fare was about 250THB and we did take the toll way even though the toll way is not always necessary that late. The tolls was about 70THB. Time to get to the airport from the airport was about 20-25 minutes...and that is asbout as quick as you could ever do it I think.

Check In: Check in was quick at the late hour. I was advised we were upgraded to a corner premier room as a Platinum Priority Club member. I was hoping for an upgrade to a club level as we had booked a room at a level just below that level.....the corner room is not bookable online. I hate it when your upgrade is to a made up category.

Room: When we arrived to our room, it was a bit strange as the guy bringing our luggage up was a little frantic and was scrambling around. After a few minutes we noticed why....our room was not clean. He apologized and ask us to go back down the to lobby. We went to the lobby and they said they did not have any other corner rooms available. We told them that we did not mind waiting as we planned to eat after the long trip anyway so they could just clean the room while we dined. After sitting down to eat at the 24 hour lobby restaurant the front desk lady came by to tell us to order whatever we want it was on the house due to our trouble. I was very surprised as it was not a huge ordeal for us. We ordered just some Thai dishes and I had some wine and did not expect it to be covered but to my surprise the waiter said we owed nothing when we ask for the bill. Once we got to our room it was actually very nicely decorated. The corner room was basically a premier room with a very big walk in closet with the closet having all windows along the wall and a small dressing table in it. NIce but nothing I would pay extra for. The room was very well decorated but showing a little wear in places....very nice room none the less.

Location: The location is not idea if you ask me. There is not a lot in the immediate area but you are close to the Surasak BTS (10-15 minute walk) which could be an un-comfortable walk when it is hot. To get a taxi to/from this area can be a reall pain also as the traffic is horrible along Silom Rd. You get a good deal on the hotel so you have to deal with a bad location I guess. As long as you understand that you will be spending a lot of time in a taxi and it will not be quick at times to get from point A to point B then you will be fine.

Restaurants: We at at the restaurant in the lobby area when we arrived and the food was quite good. Price was actually a little high but the same food items will cost you 30% more via room service and the menu is the same. The same menu is available at Harrys bar which has a happy hour till about 8PM and live music starting about 8 or 9PM. The bar is not very big but is a nice enough and service is "ok" but nothing great. We only had breakfast in the main restaurant which was very good but service was only fair there as well. There is also an Indian restaurant at this property but we did not eat there. We did have a couple of Indian dishes on the menu at the main restaurant which we were told came from the Indian restaurant and they were quite good.

Pool: Pool was pretty boring. Almost like it was an inconvenience or and after thought. It filled the need to swim and lay out but nothing nice at all.

Fitness: The hotel had a nice fitness area and a tennis court with equipment rental. I dont remember the price but it was reasonable.

Internet: This hotel had the most reasonable price for internet that I have seen among properties that charge for it. It was 300THB per day. Free is better but this is not as bad at the 600THB charge you see at other properties.

Misc: We had breakfast included in our room rate and when ask our departure time the check in clerk said since we were leaving before breakfast would start they could prepare a to go box for us or have room service breakfast. We preferred room service. Gave them the time and thought this is pretty cool. Well, they screwed it up and had to go boxes. We just gave them to the taxi driver and had hot food at the airport. Also, points did not post for dining and internet charges at the hotel. I contacted PC and they posted some but not all for the dining and internet...I gave up in the end. Please watch your points posting at this property as I have a feeling that is no accident and will be one that we will have to fight to get points correct.

Summary: I liked the rooms and dining outlets well enough but the location and the staff did not impress me. I think there are better options in this price range. If you are choosing between the other Priority Club hotels the other properities have a much more desirable location in my mind.

Lobby Lounge

Room

Room

Room

Room

Room

Closet Window

Closet

Dressing Table in Closet

Pool Area

Pool Area

Pool Area

Tennis Court

Fitness

Fitness

Fitness

Bar Area

Bar Area

Plaza Tower

Crowne Tower

HI Bangkok Silom

Lobby Lounge

Room

Room

Room

Room

Room

Closet Window

Closet

Dressing Table in Closet

Pool Area

Pool Area

Pool Area

Tennis Court

Fitness

Fitness

Fitness

Bar Area

Bar Area

Plaza Tower

Crowne Tower
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If you've ever wondered what that small fruit plate or chocolates cost, here's the answer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8838350@N08/5438647373/

(sorry haven't gotten the photo inserting down yet.)

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Feb 12, 2011 at 10:41 am
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If you've ever wondered what that small fruit plate or chocolates cost, here's the answer.
haha, you obviously sneaked into the "private"-area on your floor. Also did it, very interesting. There is a blackboard with all my wishes and requests written on it
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:29 am

The HI Bangkok Silom Room Guide

Bored on a sunday afternoon I thought this might be useful for some who want to stay at this property. Enjoy

Standard Room (so called superior):
These rooms are in the old Plaza Tower. They are not renovated and therefore you will find them in a worn and outdated condition.
Furthermore, the rooms are really small and only have one small (round) window. So it is kind of dark in there. Just the rooms on the top floor of this tower have large windows. The bathrooms are tiny. You can hardly turn around in there.

As soon as you pass the "bridge" leading to Plaza Tower you will recognize an old an slightly mouldy smell. Welcome to Plaza Tower! It will most likely be like this in your room as well.

If you do not have platinum status with PCR refrain from booking this category - it is too risky as you definitely do not want to stay in one of these rooms!

misc1: Have not stayed in such a room (luckily), just visited one. Mostly tour guests and air crew stays in this part of the hotel.

misc2: As long as you are PLAT you should be on the safe side. The standard upgrade (even on award stays) will secure you a room in the following category:

Premier room:
These rooms are located in the Crown Tower which is fully renovated and furthermore larger and more luxurious.
They have to schemes: blue colour and green colour. I personally prefer green. The bathrooms look marble and are very large with bathtub and walk-in shower.
Most of the rooms have one king bed, only a few offer two queen beds. Those with two beds will most likely be interconnecting rooms which might lead to a higher noise level.

misc: this is the standard upgrade for plats booking the lowest category. I was also upgraded on an award stay back in 2009 (PB).

Premier Corner Room:
This actually is not an own category! It is a Premier Room at the end of each corridor in the Crown Tower. The room basically looks the same but it has a bay which accomodates the closet. In fact, it is like a dressing room and adds about 5sqm to the room size.
For me (on a long stay) this room was a real advantage. You also have large windows which provide a nice view over the city.

In my opinion a huge plus of this kind of room is that it has two a/c-units. One in the main room and one in the "dressing room". So in the night I switch on the one in the "dressing room" only, so I do not have a direct flow of air towards me when I sleep.

misc: this is the standard "upgrade" for plats booking a premier room. You might be disappointed if you expect an upgrade to the club floor (which are, by the way, very rare). So the best value definitely is to book the lowest category.

Executive New Club:

The Club Floors are on the upmost levels of Crown Tower. However, there is no difference between these rooms and the regular Premier rooms. You only get access to the lounge - that's it.

There are a couple of suites in the Crown Tower. I have never stayed in one though. However I visited one and they are really nice. Size is approximately like the Corner Suites at the IC Bangkok (many of you might know them). They have a nice sitting area, hallway with closet and a small bedroom. Master bathroom is right next to the bedroom plus there is a guest toilet next to the entrance.

misc: Just be aware of the fact (talked to different managers during my long stay) that upgrades to suites are very very rare. If you book a club room you might (read: will most likely) end up in a corner room (s.a.) as an "upgrade".

By the way, if you have ever been to the second-highest floor of Crown Tower (highest you reach with regular elevators): Did you notice the strange Thai sculptures in the hallway?
The answer: The owner of the hotel has an appartment one floor above. He only uses it sometimes, however he decorated it in his very special style
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: IHG, BA
Very good description of the rooms!

However, with the new management there, and the [lack] of upgrades now, I've moved my business elsewhere.

Personally, I think to upgrade a Plat to a room that you cannot 'book' (Corner Room), sucks, especially with no club access too.

I've moved to HI Chitlom. OK - they also upgrade you to a room that isn't bookable (Junior Suite), but at least they grant club access.

Unless HI Silom starts treating Plats better, I'm in no hurry to return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.