Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maintain RA status by a referral certificate?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Maintain RA status by a referral certificate?

Is that possible to renew RA status by a referral certificate more than once?
I thought it is only one time experience in lifetime.
If I maintain my RA status by earning it, I will have a certificate every year.
Can my wife being and maintaining RA by my certificate every year?

Is there anyone who renewed RA status by a certificate more than once?

Last edited by scienm; Aug 17, 2010 at 12:36 am
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Is that possible to renew RA status by a referral certificate more than once?
Yes!
Can my wife being and maintaining RA by my certificate every year?
Yes - your wife can use your RA cert every year
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
There's no restriction on the number of times one individual can be referred to Royal Ambassador.

Presumably the account needs to be downgraded to Ambassador before being re-referred, but perhaps others have tested sending in a certificate prior to downgrade in order to just extend?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by gleff
There's no restriction on the number of times one individual can be referred to Royal Ambassador.

Presumably the account needs to be downgraded to Ambassador before being re-referred, but perhaps others have tested sending in a certificate prior to downgrade in order to just extend?
It would be somewhat foolish to not wait until the downgrade has gone through and one's account shows the Ambassador kit has been sent, thus yielding two kits with their BOGO certs and 5K PINs. True this might mean going without RA for a stay or two, but isn't an extra legitimate BOGO worth it?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Thanks for everybody!

I've got exactly what I wanted.
Thanks for everybody!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: Intercontinental, Delta, American, United, US Air
Originally Posted by Shareholder
It would be somewhat foolish to not wait until the downgrade has gone through and one's account shows the Ambassador kit has been sent, thus yielding two kits with their BOGO certs and 5K PINs. True this might mean going without RA for a stay or two, but isn't an extra legitimate BOGO worth it?
I've gone from Amb to Royal within a month of each other and did not get another BOGO or another 5k voucher. When I called they said that you are only entitled to one BOGO as an ambassador, Royal doesn't include a second if you already received one, and same for the points voucher. I told the person that's how it's always been done, and now I was getting penalized for a downgrade... she just repeated that ambassadors get one BOGO with membership each year, not a second. So this was back in Feb, and I got screwed. Has this happened to anyone else, or is this a new policy? Because those two items were definitely REMOVED from my kit.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by joannacdhanaraj
I've gone from Amb to Royal within a month of each other and did not get another BOGO or another 5k voucher. When I called they said that you are only entitled to one BOGO as an ambassador, Royal doesn't include a second if you already received one, and same for the points voucher. I told the person that's how it's always been done, and now I was getting penalized for a downgrade... she just repeated that ambassadors get one BOGO with membership each year, not a second. So this was back in Feb, and I got screwed. Has this happened to anyone else, or is this a new policy? Because those two items were definitely REMOVED from my kit.
I haven't run into this personally.

I was downgraded in 5/09, and got the Ambassador kit. I had enough nights by the end of the year to requalify and got a 12/09 kit. I then got my normal year renewal in 3/10 for my 5/10 end of program year.

So in 12 months, I got 3x Bogo, 3x 5k cert, and 2x RA ref cert. I can't complain about that.

If they're changing the rules, then at least we've gotten some nice benefits over the years.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: PC Plat-RA, M&M Gold
Using an expired RA referral certificate

Has anyone tried using an expired referral certificate? I have one ending September '10, yet my status expires Feb '11.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by mmsalah
Has anyone tried using an expired referral certificate? I have one ending September '10, yet my status expires Feb '11.
It's always possible it might work, but obviously the reason they are dated like that is so that you can't earn RA once, and then be RA for the rest of your life.

You'll often see people trying to do a trade for a current RA cert for a future expiring one in Coupon Connection.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
To the fellow who got a Referral Cert in his RA kit who himself was referred...contact the Ambassador center by email, advise them of this fact, and send it back. That's the honest thing to do. Also, as they will know you're a referral yourself, whoever you "give" it to will not be approved now that you have to identify yourself on the cert. You will avoid embarrassment to both yourself and your colleague.

(Sorry mod, but you shut down the thread while most of us on this side of the world was asleep.)
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:03 am
uk1
Suspended

To the fellow who got a Referral Cert in his RA kit who himself was referred...contact the Ambassador center by email, advise them of this fact, and send it back. That's the honest thing to do. Also, as they will know you're a referral yourself, whoever you "give" it to will not be approved now that you have to identify yourself on the cert. You will avoid embarrassment to both yourself and your colleague.

(Sorry mod, but you shut down the thread while most of us on this side of the world was asleep.)
Really puzzled by this.

As you know from personal experience I've given RA certs to many FT'ers. I'm for giving them away and against selling them. But if someone purchases one and has a cert in his box please explain how would a non-knowledgeable non-FT'er know they were not supposed to have an RA cert in their box?

Does it say specifically in anything that they should not have a cert?

Where exactly therefore does "honesty" come into it?

I would have thought that the majority of people who didn't know that they "shouldn't" have the cert would simply follow the instructions on the cert in innocence and give it to a colleage and that someone with the "knowledge" should at most give it to a colleage with a suitable warning that it's possible it may not work?

Last edited by uk1; Sep 5, 2010 at 7:17 am
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by joannacdhanaraj
Got my AMB kit renewal 06/10 and then new RA kit 09/10. 2 certs and 2 PC codes.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by QCG
I am about to be downgraded to Ambassador but have been promised a referral cert from a friend. Problem is the referral apparently expired in may 2010 although the donor continues to get about 60/70 IC stays a year and will retain his status Is there a way around that expiry date?
The donor has nothing to lose by calling Ambassador services and asking if they will honor the expired cert. I had to do that once after I confused the expiration date with another type of cert. It was only expired by a month or so. I wrote down the name of the rep, and the date and time of the call, just in case, but it all worked out fine.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Balderdash.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I want to refer a friend. He is currently RA, from an earlier referral by me, but has received the letter that he'll be downgraded to Ambassador with a year's free membership having failed to "reach the required level". He has not received his new Ambassador kit yet. The complication is that his RA year will expire at the end of October, from when he will become Ambassador, and the RA referral certificate also has an October expiry.

My plan is to send in his referral early October, hopefully after the new kit has been sent, so that it reaches Utah prior to the certificate expiry. However, he wil still technically be an RA until the end of October. Will this get him 12 more months as an RA?

Last edited by turtlemichael; Sep 25, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.