Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Optional Ambassador amenity/gift

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Optional Ambassador amenity/gift

Is this the start of a new trend at ICs? Staying at the IC Sydney this weekend and instead of the usual Ambassador amenity/gift of a bottle of wine (along with a plate of fruit and bottles of water), I was given a card and asked to check off what I wanted. The choices were: 1000 PC points in the form of a cert that can be deposited through the PC web site; a $10 food and beverage credit; or a bottle of Australian wine. Given my Duty Free restrictions back home and the fact I have a $50 F&B credit voucher from Priority Privilege, I opted for the points.

However, I wonder if this is going to be implemented system wide or it's just a local thing? I still prefer a real local item as a gift like the chop sticks or bookmark at the IC Pudong or even the Expo mascot doll at the IC Puxi, but here accept that a Hunter Valley wine can be a legitimate local gift as at any IC in a wine-producing area. (I never drink the wine at the hotel but do pack it away for later use at home.) This is the approach used by Hyatt for its Diamond members within NAmerica.

How do others feel about having a choice of the Ambassador amenity/gift?

Last edited by Shareholder; Jul 2, 2010 at 3:55 am
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It makes sense. I often wince if I get alcohol as a gift, as I am usually leaving the next day with hand baggage only and therefore cannot take it home.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Maybe it's a trial at some ICs. Hyatt does the same in the US. I'd prefer the points over some silly gifts (dish clothes, for example), but I'm fine with the "usual": Wine and sweets or hors d'oeuvres.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:28 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's been that way at IC Sydney for a while now - I had that choice last October. Seems reasonable to me, some of the gifts don't get a lot of use!
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
It's a good thing particularly tailored to the needs of regular guests. When you stay at the same hotel frequently, as I do at Sydney, any gift would soon lose its novelty value. I usually take the points but occasionally the discount voucher if I know I am going to be paying for f+b.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
I usually take the points too.
The bottle of wine is only a 1/2 bottle (I got caught out, but only once )
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by fifa
I usually take the points too.
The bottle of wine is only a 1/2 bottle (I got caught out, but only once )
I got a full bottle, but it was pretty poor quality stuff (as you would expect for something with the same value as 1000 points, I suppose)
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ag51
I got a full bottle, but it was pretty poor quality stuff (as you would expect for something with the same value as 1000 points, I suppose)
I got a full bottle too - but, as you say, it wasn't a great wine.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, AA Plat, Marriott LT P, IHG Diamond Amb
As most of my stays are only 1-2 nights, I would much rather have the points, especially considering minibar privileges. And given the fact that the wine is sometimes not even enjoyable to drink.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:41 am

Programs: QFF SG, EK, EY Silver, SQ Gold, SPG, PC Plat RA, A¦Club Platinum, Hertz 5*
I've been quite happy to get the choice both times I've stayed at the IC Sydney, been better than the two identical Expo mascot soft toys I got for 2 stays at the IC Puxi a couple of days apart.

Bottle of Hunter Valley red I received (full bottle) the second time was drinkable, but not necessarily top notch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.