Free nights. Do I have to pay the resort fee ?

Old Dec 12, 09, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold
Free nights. Do I have to pay the resort fee ?

I recently stayed at the Montelucia resort on three free nights. But on each day I was billed the resort fee. I asked with the desk if this is waived for free nights and he said "no". But I have read here that maybe I shouldn't have. Does anyone know the answer to this question and where I might find the answer in some t&c's. I've looked but can't seem to find a definative answer. Thanks and happy holidays to all FT'ers.
Old Dec 12, 09, 10:53 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Plat, VS Silver
Yes, you do have to pay a resort fee; I think that's fairly standard practice.
Old Dec 12, 09, 10:56 am

InterContinental Hotels Group
Close Window

Free Night Redemption

RATE:
Free
TAX: Any tax required is included in the Free Night Redemption
SERVICE CHARGE: Free
RATE DESCRIPTION:
Free Night is awarded to Priority Club Rewards members who have registered, stayed two Qualifying Nights during the promotional period, and are otherwise eligible under the full Terms & Conditions at www.getafreenight.com. Free Nights may only be used from 3 July 2009 to 26 December 2009. Free Night is non-transferable. Upon completion of booking, no re-use, modification, refund, or redeposit of Free Night is allowed.

PLEASE NOTE:
You will not receive any points or miles on this Free Night.

RULES:
- CHECK-IN TIME: 04:00 PM
Old Dec 12, 09, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have been complaints about the resort fee practices at this particular property. See the property's master thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...er-thread.html

In my opinion, however, the PCR terms are such that you shouldn't have to pay the resort fee (which is a bogus fee and should be included in the room rate) on award reservations, as the resort fee is applied per room.

Related discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ward-stay.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...rd-nights.html

I myself have never been charged any resort fees or other fees/taxes/charges on award nights with IHG. However, I have not stayed at IC Montelucia, either, and it is that property that seems to be problematic.
Old Dec 13, 09, 12:41 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Last time at the IC Berchtesgaden I also had to pay the Resort fee on a free night, which was 2.50 EUR.
Old Dec 13, 09, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stinkycop View Post
I recently stayed at the Montelucia resort on three free nights. But on each day I was billed the resort fee. I asked with the desk if this is waived for free nights and he said "no". But I have read here that maybe I shouldn't have. Does anyone know the answer to this question and where I might find the answer in some t&c's. I've looked but can't seem to find a definative answer. Thanks and happy holidays to all FT'ers.

I would suggest you to refuse to pay. A free night is a free night is a free night, isn't it?
Old Dec 13, 09, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by davidw70 View Post
Yes, you do have to pay a resort fee; I think that's fairly standard practice.
No, I believe you shouldn't have to pay the Resort Fee. As soitgoes mentions above, there have been problems at this property with them trying to charge resort fees on rates that it is supposed to be waived. My bolding below is what I am basing my assumptions on (Paid Reservation vs Free Night reservation):

Free Night
Rate Type: Free Night Redemption
Rate: Free Night Redemption
Total: Free Night for entire stay
Rate Description: Free Night is awarded to Priority Club Rewards members who have registered, stayed two Qualifying Nights during the promotional period, and are otherwise eligible under the full Terms & Conditions at www.getafreenight.com. Free Nights may only be used from 3 July 2009 to 26 December 2009. Free Night is non-transferable. Upon completion of booking, no re-use, modification, refund, or redeposit of Free Night is allowed.
Deposit Required: Any deposit required is included in the Free Night Redemption
Tax: : Any tax required is included in the Free Night Redemption
Service Charge: Any service charge required is included in the Free Night Redemption
Early Departure Fee: $100.00 (USD)
Daily Parking Fee: Complimentary Parking
Daily Valet Parking Fee: $26.00 (USD)
Pet Policy: Pet deposit is $100.00 and non-refundable.
Pet Deposit: $100.00 USD per stay

Room Type: MONTELUCIA SIGNATURE ROOM - 3 PERSON(S) MAX PER ROOM
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Persons: 1 ADULT(S) 0 CHILD(REN)
Check-in Time: 04:00 PM
Check-out Time: 12:00 PM
Modify or Cancel Policy: Earned Free Night(s) are void upon completion of booking; modifications are not allowed. Cancellation of Booking results in forfeiture of the earned Free Night(s).

Only the reservation as entered into and confirmed by our system will be honored. Any written or printed confirmation that has been altered may be rejected by the hotel.
PAID
Rate Type: Best Flexible Rate
Rate: $169.00 (USD) per room, per night CONVERT CURRENCY
View Estimated Total Price †
Rate Description: Our Best Flexible Rate lets you stay for as many nights as you want, on any date you please, with the best flexible rate available at all of our hotels around the world. Our Best Flexible Rate is the best available unrestricted, publicly available rate for that room type at the time of reservation. While lower rates may be available, they will require payment at time of booking, a minimum length of stay or will be non-refundable. Some restrictions apply based on individual hotel policies.
Tax: : 11.92% per night not included in rate effective 24 December, 2009 thru 25 December, 2009

Service Charge: 24.00 USD per night not included in rate effective 24 December, 2009 thru 25 December, 2009

Early Departure Fee: $100.00 (USD)
Daily Parking Fee: Complimentary Parking
Daily Valet Parking Fee: $26.00 (USD)
Pet Policy: Pet deposit is $100.00 and non-refundable.
Pet Deposit: $100.00 USD per stay

Room Type: MONTELUCIA SIGNATURE ROOM - 3 PERSON(S) MAX PER ROOM
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Persons: 1 ADULT(S) 0 CHILD(REN)
Check-in Time: 04:00 PM
Check-out Time: 12:00 PM
Modify or Cancel Policy: Canceling your reservation before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on Monday, 21 December, 2009 will result in no charge. Canceling your reservation after 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on 21 December, 2009, or failing to show, will result in a charge of 1 night per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.
Old Dec 13, 09, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by nissan motor View Post
I would suggest you to refuse to pay. A free night is a free night is a free night, isn't it?
In fact a free night is not always a free night at many Resorts. Most other hotel chains still charge Resort Fees even on award nights.
Old Dec 13, 09, 6:49 pm

Im going there on Wednesday. I am not paying it. I suggest you do a charge back or call the PC or hotel itself and get a refund. I will let you know what happens. I am staying there 3 free nights.
Old Dec 13, 09, 10:18 pm

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Personally I find it remarkably stupid that a hotel will go out of their way to anger customers and give themselves a bad name for something as trivial as the price of a cup of coffee.
Old Dec 13, 09, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gregorygrady View Post
In fact a free night is not always a free night at many Resorts. Most other hotel chains still charge Resort Fees even on award nights.
I am well aware of that. I recall discussions at the Westin Las Vegas (12 $) at the Planet Hollywood (5 $) some many other US hotels and the worst of all the Apartments @ MGM Grand Las Vegas with a whooping 20+ $.

Out of principle, I always refuse to pay such "resort fees". My argumentation: If the want to charge me for something they ought to include it in the price.
Old Dec 14, 09, 1:05 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
@nissan motor: Out of curiosity, do the hotels eventually waive the charge when you tell them you are not paying? If it's a policy then are they allowed to waive it?
Old Dec 14, 09, 9:28 am

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
soon we'll be seeing an extra special category of room where the rate is $1, with a $300 resort fee.
Old Dec 15, 09, 1:55 am

Crowne Plaza South Beach (Z Ocean Hotel) charged me 16 USD for their private beach club (if used or not used wasnt important)

Too late for me, i did not think about it that I might not have to pay it...
Old Dec 15, 09, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by nissan motor View Post
I am well aware of that. I recall discussions at the Westin Las Vegas (12 $) at the Planet Hollywood (5 $) some many other US hotels and the worst of all the Apartments @ MGM Grand Las Vegas with a whooping 20+ $.

Out of principle, I always refuse to pay such "resort fees". My argumentation: If the want to charge me for something they ought to include it in the price.
Same question as the poster above. How do you "refuse" to pay such resort fees? Are you just saying that you won't book at a hotel with Resort Fees? Or you get to the front desk to checkin (or checkout) and tell them that you refuse to pay it? I highly doubt you can just refuse to pay the Resort Fee if you booked the room and agreed to the disclosed Resort Fee when booking the room.

The only difference in this thread is that IC Montelucia did NOT disclose the Resort Fee, in fact they plainly state that the Resort Fee is included in the Free Night Redemption. Trying to charge Resort Fees after not disclosing those fees upon booking has led some hotels into hot water with class-action lawsuits (ie, SPG).

So while you have a case against Montelucia, you certainly don't have a case against any hotel that charges a Resort Fee, and you cannot just "refuse to pay it", even if it was a $300 per night Resort Fee as long as you agreed to pay it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: