Points deducted 1 year 8 months after my stay

Reply

Old Sep 23, 09, 4:02 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 55
Points deducted 1 year 8 months after my stay

Has anybody experienced this? I saw a 2 nights deduction in my latest statement for a stay I made in 2007!

When I complained to PC, they requested me to show them my "break-down" bills of my hotel stay. Does any of you really keep your hotel bills for almost 2 years? How are we able to defend ourselves against these sort of charges?

Last edited by davidhii; Sep 23, 09 at 4:03 am Reason: Change the period, its 1 year 8 months instead of 18 months
davidhii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 09, 4:43 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 763
This is very unreasonable, did they give you a good reason for deduction? Was it a mistake in first place?

PS. I do keep all my statement for 5 years, gas, electricity, bank, hotel, flight, etc, you name it. Sorry.
MP (Miles+Points) is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 09, 5:46 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 37,873
Originally Posted by davidhii View Post
Does any of you really keep your hotel bills for almost 2 years? How are we able to defend ourselves against these sort of charges?
Yes, for at least 5-years. And did you get points for a stay that you should not have two years ago? Audits of these programs do occur. You should be able to request a credit card statement from back then, and you should also expect to be able to request a copy of your folio from the property in question. As we go more and more paperless, companies are supposed to keep such records on file for a period of several years.
Shareholder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 09, 6:46 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Auckland, NZ
Programs: ICH: Platinum Ambassador, VA: Silver
Posts: 37
Oh wow! I'm bad about holding on to stuff, I usually shred bills within a month (I'll wait until I get the next bill so as to ensure there's no oddities). But I keep emails of all my reservations. It doesn't seem like such a thing would even be helpful in your case, but I agree with Shareholder. You should be able to request a statement from your cc company at least to see what went down then.

It is a bit ridiculous though that they're making you prove the error on their part was indeed their error. They should be able to give you a copy of your hotel bill.
dizrythmia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 09, 7:18 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa
Programs: IC/RA - Spire, AC E50K, AA, AM-Gold, HH-Diamond, SPG, Choice - Gold
Posts: 1,713
Originally Posted by davidhii View Post
Has anybody experienced this? I saw a 2 nights deduction in my latest statement for a stay I made in 2007!

When I complained to PC, they requested me to show them my "break-down" bills of my hotel stay. Does any of you really keep your hotel bills for almost 2 years? How are we able to defend ourselves against these sort of charges?
Would you please clarify your post?

Was the adjustment to your account the removal of a 2 night qualifying stay and associated points, OR, did they deduct PC points from your account to pay for a 2-night reward stay in 2007, for which you did not pay? OR was it something else?

mxm135
MXM135 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 1:30 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 55
Wow, lots of response! Sorry for the late reply.

The adjustment is done to deduct PC points from my account to pay for a 2-night reward stay in 2007.

In fact, I recalled the Hotel actually offered me a opening discount rate that is very attractive. So I couldn't have redeemed it fully with my points. But I don't keep my hotel bills for that long. I am trying to dig out my old Credit Card bills.


Originally Posted by MXM135 View Post
Would you please clarify your post?

Was the adjustment to your account the removal of a 2 night qualifying stay and associated points, OR, did they deduct PC points from your account to pay for a 2-night reward stay in 2007, for which you did not pay? OR was it something else?

mxm135
davidhii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 1:33 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 55
They said that the hotel forgotten to deduct my points during my stay in 2007. They found out in August 2009 and decided to deduct my points. Obviously somebody in Holiday Inn made a mistake in the first place.

I agree its unreasonable. They should at least email me and checked if I really redeemed my points for that stay.


Originally Posted by MP (Miles+Points) View Post
This is very unreasonable, did they give you a good reason for deduction? Was it a mistake in first place?

PS. I do keep all my statement for 5 years, gas, electricity, bank, hotel, flight, etc, you name it. Sorry.
davidhii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 1:38 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 55
I could not check if I got my points for my stay. Again my mistake for not saving statements. When I query online, its 180 days maximum.

I am trying to figure out which card did I charged it to. Since then I have cancelled a few cards.

Perhaps its a good idea to contact the hotel directly!

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Yes, for at least 5-years. And did you get points for a stay that you should not have two years ago? Audits of these programs do occur. You should be able to request a credit card statement from back then, and you should also expect to be able to request a copy of your folio from the property in question. As we go more and more paperless, companies are supposed to keep such records on file for a period of several years.
davidhii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 1:53 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brisbane Australia
Programs: QANTAS Club Silver, PC Royal Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by davidhii View Post
I could not check if I got my points for my stay. Again my mistake for not saving statements. When I query online, its 180 days maximum.

I am trying to figure out which card did I charged it to. Since then I have cancelled a few cards.

Perhaps its a good idea to contact the hotel directly!
Just as a matter of interest what hotel was it?
skeltonl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 2:02 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 55
Its Holiday Inn Melaka in Malaysia. It was just opened when we stayed there. Real nice hotel.

The mix up could be due to inexperienced staffs. In any case, the booking is made through the PC website. So it should have deducted the point in the first place.


Originally Posted by skeltonl View Post
Just as a matter of interest what hotel was it?
davidhii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 2:11 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Here and everywhere
Programs: AA EXEC PLAT 1.75MM, UA LT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, SPG LT Gold , Marriott LT Gold
Posts: 945
Originally Posted by davidhii View Post
Its Holiday Inn Melaka in Malaysia. It was just opened when we stayed there. Real nice hotel.

The mix up could be due to inexperienced staffs. In any case, the booking is made through the PC website. So it should have deducted the point in the first place.
I am not sure if the staff of Holiday Inn in Melaka did something wrong on their part. Knowing that this was booked via IHG as a hotel reward, their system should process this automatically. In fact, my points were immediately taken off from my account once the booking I made was complete. In your case, if you don't keep you statements for the last 5 years like me, try to ask for it from PC 1 month before you made the booking and 1 month after the booking was done to check if nothing was really taken out from your account. I am sure they can provide you this info for they were able to track down this inaccuracy way back in 2007. Good luck!
blueslip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 2:19 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 55
Good idea. They have been pretty quiet lately since my last email response to them.

Originally Posted by blueslip View Post
I am not sure if the staff of Holiday Inn in Melaka did something wrong on their part. Knowing that this was booked via IHG as a hotel reward, their system should process this automatically. In fact, my points were immediately taken off from my account once the booking I made was complete. In your case, if you don't keep you statements for the last 5 years like me, try to ask for it from PC 1 month before you made the booking and 1 month after the booking was done to check if nothing was really taken out from your account. I am sure they can provide you this info for they were able to track down this inaccuracy way back in 2007. Good luck!
davidhii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 5:02 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa
Programs: IC/RA - Spire, AC E50K, AA, AM-Gold, HH-Diamond, SPG, Choice - Gold
Posts: 1,713
davidhii,

The following link should be able to let you view your account transactions back to 2006. It has been posted many times in this forum. Hopefully, it will help you solve the riddle regarding your stay in 2007.


https://secure.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d...ansaction=4000

Good luck and hope it helps.

mxm135
MXM135 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 5:47 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ORD MDW
Programs: AA, UA, DL , PC Gold, SPG Gold, Avis PC - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Posts: 6,474
Is is not a bit tacky / bad form for the hotel to claim points that far back? I would understand if it was a month’s stay or something of a greater magnitude.
sobore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 1:07 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 37,873
Originally Posted by sobore View Post
Is is not a bit tacky / bad form for the hotel to claim points that far back? I would understand if it was a month’s stay or something of a greater magnitude.
Is it a bit tacky for a bank to ask for payment of a loan you took out years ago? If the points were not removed at the time, they are still owed for the stay that was given. That's what audits are all about, they catch these things that drop through the cracks, the 1 out of 1 millionth transaction.
Shareholder is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread