FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IC Asiana Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City Master Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/993362-ic-asiana-saigon-ho-chi-minh-city-master-thread.html)

Noelene Sep 9, 2009 2:04 pm

IC Asiana Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City Master Thread

Did a search and considering it has only been open a week or so, no stay experiences posted yet.

The opening special rate converts to $230 AUD
I am only there from afternoon to early morning dep 6amish on a UA flight.

seems a little pricey for what I need
except for the sister Residences Hotel next door, can't seem to find any other PC presence in Ho Chi Minh City

maybe this is one of these times where you find a reasonable option with another chain :confused:

any thoughts

Chinatrvl Sep 9, 2009 2:41 pm

To be honest, I didn't even know it was open already. If you stay, please post a report ;)
The price seems pretty much "normal" for 5*s in Ho Chi Minh, though. I stayed in the Sofitel every time and paid well over 200 Euro per night. And yes, there is unfortunatelly no other IHG in Saigon.

jpdx Sep 9, 2009 4:43 pm

I checked out the new IC a week ago. The folks at the IC Hanoi had told me that the Asiana had soft-opened on 9/1, but when I visited, there was not a guest in sight, and much of the front desk area was still being worked on. They told me opening date was today (9/9). The place looked nice enough, but I think it'll take them a while to match the PH standard (the PH is a wonderful hotel, and -imo- sets the standard in HCMC). The IC was on sale for $153 during a recent round of Great Asia on Sale, and I would expect it to come on Pointbreaks shortly.

Unterwegs Sep 10, 2009 1:06 am

I had a reservation for tomorrow night. They contacted me a few days ago, told me the hotel is not ready (but should for my next stay there in 2 weeks). They booked me at the Hyatt (at their cost) - this was Pointbreaks night booked several weeks ago.
Will post in the RA expereinces thread in 2 weeks.

Noelene Sep 10, 2009 4:12 am

looking to stay in 2 weeks as well, I will think about it a few more days, and of course post as well ;)

mikelat Sep 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx (Post 12355896)
I checked out the new IC a week ago. The folks at the IC Hanoi had told me that the Asiana had soft-opened on 9/1, but when I visited, there was not a guest in sight, and much of the front desk area was still being worked on. They told me opening date was today (9/9). The place looked nice enough, but I think it'll take them a while to match the PH standard (the PH is a wonderful hotel, and -imo- sets the standard in HCMC). The IC was on sale for $153 during a recent round of Great Asia on Sale, and I would expect it to come on Pointbreaks shortly.

Pardon the newb question - What does PH stand for? I'm booking a stay in HCMC for Oct and trying to decide on the best place to stay for a 2 night visit.

lucky9876coins Sep 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat (Post 12381186)
Pardon the newb question - What does PH stand for? I'm booking a stay in HCMC for Oct and trying to decide on the best place to stay for a 2 night visit.

PH=Park Hyatt.:)

Noelene Sep 24, 2009 5:55 am

Well checked in this afternoon on their Opening Special rate
there was a welcoming committee :D

The Manager seemed upset I was not going to have the breakfast inc in my rate as I have a 6am flight, so he proactively organised for me to have room service breakfast at OMG oclock

full report in the RA thread ASAP

CanuckinKL Sep 24, 2009 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Noelene (Post 12429871)
Well checked in this afternoon on their Opening Special rate
there was a welcoming committee :D

The Manager seemed upset I was not going to have the breakfast inc in my rate as I have a 6am flight, so he proactively organised for me to have room service breakfast at OMG oclock

full report in the RA thread ASAP

At A$230 still? or did you manage a better opening rate?

Unterwegs Sep 24, 2009 9:19 am

Just came back from a one night stay on points.
The hotel is fairly nice and in a good location. Just behind the post office, about half way between the Sofitel and the Sheraton/Hyatt/Caravelle.
The hotel is in a Korean owned complex, three buildings, one office, one hotel and one with apartments (also managed by IC). The connecting (small) shopping mall was not finished and also does not look like it will be occupied soon.
The design is modern, but still warm, rooms are bigger than in the Sofitel, but the lobby is not as nice as the Sofitel.
As a RA no upgraded room (looks like they don't have many suites anyway), also no upgrade to club. Room was nice but had several flaws. The wall between the bathroom and the room is made from glass. No way to have privacy when you are sitting on the toilet. Internet did not work for most of the morning. Had to call 4 times before finally somebody called telling me that they have problems. Air conditioning was several times resetting the temperature to 21 C - so the room was getting freezing cold. The bed sheets are of lower quality than in other ICs. Gift was 3 nice lacquer plates (the kind you can find for around 8 USD at the markets). Also fruit plate (3 fruits) cheese plate (8 small pieces) and chocolates (8 pieces). Free minibar (nice half bottle of champagne and otherwise well stocked).
People at the front desk, bellboys and in the restaurants all very nice, helpful, adressing me with my name. Less impressed with the instand service (see above, otherwise also extremely limited english).
Looks like if they have more experience and fix the few problems it will be a good place to stay.

Noelene Sep 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckinKL (Post 12430648)
At A$230 still? or did you manage a better opening rate?

nope it was $230 AUD

GB Oct 8, 2009 7:48 am

Not to the Standard of the Park Hyatt or Sheraton

Stayed at the new Asiana this week. Got to the hotel approx. 9:30pm after a long day of travel. Walked up to the front desk and they claimed to have no record of my reservation. I produced a written, faxed copy from their reservation staff of my room guaranteed for late arrival. No-one could make a decision, and it ultimately took 4 people, 25 minutes and a manager to finally get me a room in the very uncrowed hotel. Not a great first impression.
The room was very nice. Smaller than the Sheraton or Park Hyatt but very modern and nicely decorated.
When I tried to turn on the TV it didn't work. Had to call maintenance to come up and it took them about 10 minutes to resolve.
I hadn't had dinner and wanted to call room service. However, no extension for room service is listed on the menu or on the phone. Had to call the operator and be transferred.
Checking out was insane. I checked out at 6:30am to a deserted lobby. The one guy behind the desk for some reason was having problems checking me out (total bill would have been two nights, one room service and that's all). After five minutes, I told him I would go get a cup of coffee and return in 20 minutes. Twenty minutes later I come back and there are literally seven staff members standing behind the front desk without a single customer in sight. My guy was no where to be seen. I inquired about my invoice and they retrieved him from the back. He still hadn't figured out how to check me out after 20 minutes. Then the other six staff members tried to help him and none of them knew what they were doing. My ride had already been waiting for me outside and this is the experieance at the so called new five star hotel in Saigon. After another five minutes, someone figured out how to check out a guest.
I have to tell you, beautiful hotel, terrible and incompentant service. No excuses at these prices in Saigon for a trial period or learning curve. The hotel had already been open a few weeks. I am a patient person, but seven people trying to check out a guest for almost 20 minutes. Sorry, Asiana-I'm going back to the Park Hyatt or Sheraton.

crazyit Oct 14, 2009 4:15 pm

Any further feedback from FT members on this new ITC Hotel ? Cannot find anything on tripadvisor. Was planning on staying there in mid November for 2 nights for my first visit to HCMC, before heading to the delta region.

Noelene Oct 15, 2009 1:37 am

Originally Posted by crazyit (Post 12637338)
Any further feedback from FT members on this new ITC Hotel ? Cannot find anything on tripadvisor. Was planning on staying there in mid November for 2 nights for my first visit to HCMC, before heading to the delta region.

ended up with 2 separate stays in 2 weeks at the Asiana Saigon.
They certainly haven't been overwhelmed with guests in my opinion, and whilst it is no excuse, maybe lack of experience is the cause of front desk issues.

On my first stay they knew I was checking out at OMG o'clock in the morning and it went smoothly, they even had a taxi waiting for me.
Checking out the 2nd time however, they ran my CC thru the machine and said it was declined :eek:I almost had a heart attack, as did they. However seems they knew that particular machine was playing up, and all went fine with changing machines :rolleyes:
The Club, is still not operational, they said, so had most amazing buffet breakfasts in one of the restaurants- outstanding.
Room was gorgeous, no internet probs.Eager, friendly staff

crazyit Oct 16, 2009 5:48 am

thanks Noelene for the feedback on your 2 recent stays. Will repoback to FT after our stay at the Asiana HCMC in mid November. Also planning on staying at the Victoria Can Tho, for which heard lot of good comments.