IC Asiana Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City Master Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by manucanuck
I can't tell think of any reason NOT to stay in the residence when you can especially it's cheaper than the hotel. It's an apartment and twice I've stayed there, twice they've upgraded my room to a 2bedroom apartment. It's HUGE. And I loved it.
It earns only 2x points/dollar v 10x at the hotel.

What is the breakfast offering? As nice (meaning varied options) as the hotel Market 39?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

What is the breakfast offering? As nice (meaning varied options) as the hotel Market 39?
There is a italian restaurant at the ground floor of the residences. There are also several restaurants and coffee shops in the mini-mall between the IC and the residences. Never had breakfast there. You also have a kitchen in your appartment or just walk over to the IC - it is only 2-3 min walk thru the shopping area.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Oh didn't realize that, but still, any day, over the hotel side.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:31 pm

Looking to stay here for 4 nights for friend's wedding in end of April (4/19 to 4/23). Their reception is being held here so might as well be convenient and stay at this hotel.

I'm looking to sign up for the IHG Rewards Club Premier chase card so I should get Premier Elite status and also I'll probably use pts+cash to pay for the 4 night stay.
I was disappointed to see that there's no breakfast included as a perk for this tier level. And looking at Spire and Ambassador levels, I still do not see breakfast as an option.

Maybe go for virtuoso? (unless IHG has something like Hyatt Prive)

Or guess could just suck it up and charge to my room. How did people feel breakfast level of quality at this property?

Thanks for all the help!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Maybe go for virtuoso? (unless IHG has something like Hyatt Prive)...
IHG does have a preferred partner program exactly like Hyatt Prive. But, that is only bookable under a certain rate code, typically equal to BAR. Therefore, it is not compatible with cash and points, IHG “your rate,” or other rates that may be less expensive. So, the decision comes down to weighing the benefits against the added cost of booking that rate, if any. You can, of course, split the stay and have some reward nights and some paid nights on separate bookings if you desire.

I would recommend joining InterContinental Ambassador for anyone staying at InterContinental. This also includes automatic Platinum status, and one weekend BOGO certificate (more or less one “free” night per year). For me Ambassador is a no-brainer as the value of benefits far exceed the cost of membership. It essentially pays for itself many times over.

Ambassador benefits + preferred TA rate benefits most likely stack.

ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

IHG does have a preferred partner program exactly like Hyatt Prive. But, that is only bookable under a certain rate code, typically equal to BAR. Therefore, it is not compatible with cash and points, IHG “your rate,” or other rates that may be less expensive. So, the decision comes down to weighing the benefits against the added cost of booking that rate, if any. You can, of course, split the stay and have some reward nights and some paid nights on separate bookings if you desire.

I would recommend joining InterContinental Ambassador for anyone staying at InterContinental. This also includes automatic Platinum status, and one weekend BOGO certificate (more or less one “free” night per year). For me Ambassador is a no-brainer as the value of benefits far exceed the cost of membership. It essentially pays for itself many times over.

Ambassador benefits + preferred TA rate benefits most likely stack.

Mike, thanks for the fast response. I'm looking at the Ambassador benefits and looks like it is definitely a no-brainer! I think I'm very likely to get the Ambassador as well - guaranteed 1 category room upgrade, 4pm check out and the 2nd free weekend night seems definitely worth the cost.

I assume as Ambassador I should have executive lounge access (aka breakfast?) to most properties?
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:07 pm

Mike, thanks for the fast response. I'm looking at the Ambassador benefits and looks like it is definitely a no-brainer! I think I'm very likely to get the Ambassador as well - guaranteed 1 category room upgrade, 4pm check out and the 2nd free weekend night seems definitely worth the cost.

I assume as Ambassador I should have executive lounge access (aka breakfast?) to most properties?
Yes, it is absolutely worth it.

Re club/breakfast, that depends on the property. It is not necessarily included unless booking a club room, but at some properties it is in practice.

I would advise you to get Ambassador status. You can then do the math to see what makes most sense. You could, for example, redeem one or two nights as pure award nights, and then pay your rate or prepaid rate for the other nights. If you do not book club, you would be able to pay a reasonable amount to upsell upon arrival. Or, consult a TA for the IHG preferred partner option, on top of your Ambassador status.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:36 pm

Re club/breakfast, that depends on the property. It is not necessarily included unless booking a club room, but at some properties it is in practice.

I would advise you to get Ambassador status. You can then do the math to see what makes most sense. You could, for example, redeem one or two nights as pure award nights, and then pay your rate or prepaid rate for the other nights. If you do not book club, you would be able to pay a reasonable amount to upsell upon arrival. Or, consult a TA for the IHG preferred partner option, on top of your Ambassador status.
Sounds like a plan to me! Thanks again! ^
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:16 pm

Another quick question/update.

I'm seeing a great promo from IHG where a club room is free for the 3rd night "Extend a Night on Us." I see using this promo link, it shows a special discount rate of 180/night. Assuming this gets me club lounge access aka free breakfast?

But I also see something called " Club InterContinental Rate" and it explicitly states "Free Breakfast" at 290/night and total is much more expensive.

I assume if I book the promote rate, I should get the Club level room and lounge/breakfast access?

I've not been in many IC hotels, but other properties would have a club level lounge with breakfast foods BUT sometimes there is also a main restaurant in lobby/dining area with better breakfast foods/buffet. Not sure if IC Saigon is situated like so. Would a club room automatically give access to the "better" breakfast downstairs? (if such a thing exists?)

Screenshot for reference:
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:37 am

Another quick question/update.

I'm seeing a great promo from IHG where a club room is free for the 3rd night "Extend a Night on Us." I see using this promo link, it shows a special discount rate of 180/night. Assuming this gets me club lounge access aka free breakfast?

But I also see something called " Club InterContinental Rate" and it explicitly states "Free Breakfast" at 290/night and total is much more expensive.

I assume if I book the promote rate, I should get the Club level room and lounge/breakfast access?

I've not been in many IC hotels, but other properties would have a club level lounge with breakfast foods BUT sometimes there is also a main restaurant in lobby/dining area with better breakfast foods/buffet. Not sure if IC Saigon is situated like so. Would a club room automatically give access to the "better" breakfast downstairs? (if such a thing exists?)
As a club guest you’ll definitely have breakfast included. You should book third night free if it’s less expensive. I do not know about restaurant breakfast, as I usually have breakfast in the club at the properties where I stay. My guess is that they would also honor breakfast in restaurant if you requested that, as I know other IHG properties that allow both. I am sorry I cannot answer definitely about this particular property. Either way, if you save $100/night, the third night free will still be the better value, even if you by some chance incur a small charge for breakfast downstairs. And I do not think that is very likely to happen.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I see nothing in that "extend a night on us" rate that suggests you will get lounge access or breakfast. Indeed, it appears to be 2/3rd's the rate of the non-club rooms.

I have been an ambassador for 5 years and have only gotten 'free' club benefits maybe once. They always try to upsell me anywhere from $35 to $100 per night. The ambassador status gets you a discounted club access upsell, it rarely gets you free club access.

This will not end as you hope. Another option is to call or email the hotel and ask how much the ambassador upsell is per night.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by pretzlaff
I see nothing in that "extend a night on us" rate that suggests you will get lounge access or breakfast. Indeed, it appears to be 2/3rd's the rate of the non-club rooms.

I have been an ambassador for 5 years and have only gotten 'free' club benefits maybe once. They always try to upsell me anywhere from $35 to $100 per night. The ambassador status gets you a discounted club access upsell, it rarely gets you free club access.

This will not end as you hope. Another option is to call or email the hotel and ask how much the ambassador upsell is per night.
There should be a third night free rate for a club room. I have received promotional emails offering this several times, as I recall.

In any event, sometimes booking a lower room rate, and then paying upsell to club with Ambassador discount is the way to go.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:29 am

As a club guest youll definitely have breakfast included. You should book third night free if its less expensive. I do not know about restaurant breakfast, as I usually have breakfast in the club at the properties where I stay. My guess is that they would also honor breakfast in restaurant if you requested that, as I know other IHG properties that allow both. I am sorry I cannot answer definitely about this particular property. Either way, if you save $100/night, the third night free will still be the better value, even if you by some chance incur a small charge for breakfast downstairs. And I do not think that is very likely to happen.
I'm hoping this is the case!

Originally Posted by pretzlaff

Hmm, concern is understandable.

Here is some reason why I feel like I SHOULD get the club access/breakfast.

The screen I posted above is AFTER I had licked on the club intercontinental room. This is the screen before that one:

So the room that's available (other than King Bed Deluxe and similar others) is specifically named "King Bed Club Intercontinental Room" Starting at $180.

And after some more research on the IC Saigon website, this is what I found: Description of what comes with the Club InterContinental Rooms:

Description of what comes with King club room:

Also at the bottom of that Club Room description page I see my "Extend Your Stay On Us" promotion, 3rd night is free with Club InterContinental Rooms.
Clicking through to that link shows this page:

And this is all from the IC Saigon website, specifically describing this property. And so synthesizing all above information, I am logically lead to believe that if I book the promo night with the advertised "King Bed Club IC Room" that I should get the described benefits.

Unless there are pathways where booking a Club Room does NOT guarantee the described club room benefits?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:44 am

ginmqi, I suspect you have indeed found the third night free club room rate. In which case, you certainly will have breakfast and club benefits. You can book it and just check your confirmation emails and IHG reservation system to make sure it says Club InterContinental. If in doubt, simply email or call the propertys reservations department to ask for clarification.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Indeed that second screen shot of the prior screen does explicitly say Club room. So, I would go for it.

Not a bad price and the breakfast and lounge access and possibly better room is well worth the money.
ginmqi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.