Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Iberostar Selection Playa Mita since IHG integration, any recent experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Hi all

This Puerto Vallarta-area resort seems pretty popular based on reviews but I couldn't find any master thread on it.

Has anyone been since the IHG integration? I am curious if there's space available if I'm likely to get a "real" upgrade (as opposed to a higher floor or something) with IHG platinum status through IHG Ambassador. Currently booked in a premium sunset view, angling for the junior oceanfront rooms. Otherwise a paid upgrade is about $100 extra per night.

They've also quoted me about $70 per person per night to get access to the Star Prestige area. Details seem scant but this appears to mostly be access to the hot tubs and loungers on top of the oceanfront building. It seems like there may also be a Star Prestige private bar there? That sounds nice but not sure it's entirely worth it. Any firsthand experiences?

I have limited experience with all-inclusives and zero experience with Iberostars, but a previous all-inclusive I stayed at offered these sorts of upgrades at check-in for about half the price of paying pre-arrival as it was their final chance of upsell. Curious if anyone recalls the price of Star Prestige on arrival from a fairly recent stay, and/or if you feel like it's worth it.

I have read reviews on the Star Prestige area and it seems people either rave about it or say it was entirely not worth it, but it's not always clear if folks are using all amenities, etc. I always find that FT reviews are the most useful.

Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:38 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Hi!

I'm also IHG Platinum. I've never stayed there but live very close to the hotel.

There are way more sunset rooms than the junior oceanfront ones. The former do view the ocean and the golf course. They are also the quietest - there is construction to the east of the hotel, which is probably a concern if you get an oceanfront room on the far east side. The oceanfront ones are less private too.

However, the oceanfront ones face a GORGEOUS beach and the crashing surf is wow. My suggestion is - keep your current room, then check it out. You might even get a free upgrade to the oceanfront. Once at the hotel, if they refuse the upgrade for free and offer it for $$, check out both rooms before committing - you might like the sunset one better anyway.

While all inclusive is fun, you're staying in an area with excellent restaurants. Try Km 5 for pizza in a cool, surf setting, Si Sushi for high end traditional sushi, and La Rustica for cool vibes. You can reach Litibu Sunsets, which is also delicious, walking along the beach. Transportation is expensive in the area but the spots are worth it!
HadesNL likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
I'm staying here now, also Platinum Elite - looks like the integration with the IHG app and loyalty scheme is a bit of a mess though the staff were very apologetic about it. They recognised status at reception however were adamant I needed to "activate" any status benefits in the app - the problem is the IHG app does not recognise any of the booking reference numbers for Iberostar Playa Mita - both the email one (which begins with a letter "I" nor the 8 digit one given by reception). Disappointing as I had a sunset view room and was hoping for a suite upgrade or an oceanfront.

I think (unless I'm mistaken) that you can now directly book Iberostar through the IHG site and app and maybe that will avoid issues in future. I made my reservation in autumn last year before the December announcements

Restaurants are pretty good and there's a coffee shop and poolside snack bar to cover the short periods any restaurant is not open. Only the Japanese needs booking, have that tonight.

That said I've seen some other threads here about people having issues with nights and points posting and the buck being passed between IHG and Iberostar so hoping I don't have that issue...
HadesNL likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nh1980
I'm staying here now, also Platinum Elite - looks like the integration with the IHG app and loyalty scheme is a bit of a mess though the staff were very apologetic about it. They recognised status at reception however were adamant I needed to "activate" any status benefits in the app - the problem is the IHG app does not recognise any of the booking reference numbers for Iberostar Playa Mita - both the email one (which begins with a letter "I" nor the 8 digit one given by reception). Disappointing as I had a sunset view room and was hoping for a suite upgrade or an oceanfront.

I think (unless I'm mistaken) that you can now directly book Iberostar through the IHG site and app and maybe that will avoid issues in future. I made my reservation in autumn last year before the December announcements

Restaurants are pretty good and there's a coffee shop and poolside snack bar to cover the short periods any restaurant is not open. Only the Japanese needs booking, have that tonight.

That said I've seen some other threads here about people having issues with nights and points posting and the buck being passed between IHG and Iberostar so hoping I don't have that issue...
Thank for the info! I'll be there next week so if you have any other tips/info/etc that aren't so obvious upfront but you discover along the way, I'm all ears.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
sorry I didn't check back on this much - trust you had a nice time! Glad to see on my end that the points and nights have credited but also the 2 offers currently on have also credited (40k points for every 4 nights at Iberostar and the Bonus Elite night credits).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.