Choosing a New York hotel for December

Old Sep 9, 09, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier
Choosing a New York hotel for December

I have a certificate for 3 free nights at any participating HI, HIE, CP, IC, Candlewood, and am taking my husband on a surprise trip to New York early December for our 29th anniversary (his first trip there). There are options available at each of these hotels in Manhatten, as well as some over in Brooklyn and LI. I'm very tempted to go for the CP Times Square, since it appears to have the best views, but one of the HIE's seems more practical since it provides breakfast, and we can quickly get out and explore the city more quickly in the mornings.

My question is whether the HIE's will seem small and un-romantic (can't tell from the photos)--is one better than the other? On the other hand, will the Crowne Plaza staff make us feel unwelcome if we are not wearing the appropriate labels and do look like the plebeian tourists that we really are, especially if we are there on a certificate?

We had looked at the HI uptown, since I like the idea of being closer to Central Park and in a quiet area, but it had some poor reviews. The new Candlewood Times Square would be another option, but again, mixed reviews. Does anyone know where we would find a market to buy food if we do go for the Candlewood and have a kitchen?

Is anyone familiar enough with the NYC properties to give us some recommendations?

Also, I was hoping to be able to catch public transportation into the city from Laguardia--is that doable if we don't pack too heavy?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 9, 09, 1:56 pm

Programs: FB Silver, QR Silver, LeClub Accor Silver, PC Plat
I have just stayed at the CP Times Square on points and we have been upgraded to a concierge room with club access (so free brekkie), so you should give it a try. The rooms are nicely renovated and views on Times Square are stunning. I personally think you'll be much better than in any HIX...
Old Sep 9, 09, 3:35 pm

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Originally Posted by honker View Post
I have just stayed at the CP Times Square on points and we have been upgraded to a concierge room with club access (so free brekkie), so you should give it a try. The rooms are nicely renovated and views on Times Square are stunning. I personally think you'll be much better than in any HIX...
The same here
But you need to be Platinum to be upgraded to top floor rooms with club access (otherwise the price is really high)

At Xmas, prices are generally not so expansive in NYC
( in Paris, London, Madrid, Vienna... ICs are really cheap for Xmas)

You can also stay at the very nice Sofitel with the PAY FOR 2, ENJOY 3, starting USD 250 a night.
The legendary Waldorf=Astoria is only at EUR 245 a night (from 24th to 27th December)
The elegant and very centrally located Bryant Park Hotel is at USD 280
The great W New York Times Square is at EUR 202 a night
The luxurious Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park is at USD 295
The very trendy Gramercy Park Hotel is at USD 250
The very cool Maritime Hotel is at USD 250
Old Sep 9, 09, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

participating hotels only

I have free nights, but only with the Priority club group, and not all of them are participating in this. So, price is not an issue this time.
Old Sep 9, 09, 4:13 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Yes, the HI or HIE rooms will be small and unromantic in NYC. Clean and adequate but far from romantic. Can't speak about Candlewood as have not stayed there, but there are plenty of little grocery stores in the area, many of which have hot food buffets if you are looking to economize on meals. Since ti is a fairly new property things should be in food order. I doubt the CP staff would give you attitude about being on a certificate but as a non elite you can pretty much forget about any upgrade.
Bottom line - choose CP for a nicer decor, Candlewood for the kitchen facilities.

Forget Brooklyn or LI - not at all practical for seeing Manhattan.

As for LGA via public transit - you can, but it involves taking a bus to a subway stop. Taxi from LGA is not that expensive, and I recommend it.
Old Sep 10, 09, 7:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, PC Plat, Amex Reserve
I also recommend that you stay at the CP Times Square if you have enough points. It is so convenient! Art Deco decor, very nice.

Although you may already be familiar, suggest you read any reviews you can find on HI NYC area properties on Tripadvisor.com

The only public transportation I know of at LGA is bus, but you can take a taxi as it is the closest major airport to Manhattan.

Also consider NJ properties if you are on a budget. Most across the Hudson are on bus-lines and you also can take a ferry from Weehawken.

Good luck!
Old Sep 10, 09, 11:37 am

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Originally Posted by Steven NH/BOS View Post
The only public transportation I know of at LGA is bus, but you can take a taxi as it is the closest major airport to Manhattan.
You can also take a shared Super Shuttle at the airport (easy, inexpensive, and quite fast)
Old Sep 10, 09, 2:17 pm

Programs: RA-Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, SPG Gold, CO Silver, DAL Silver, Avis P'sC, AAA-Plus
great information FTers! as I'm looking for NYC info as well for late Decemebr early January stay with Mrs. Dahorns.

You didn't list it, so may not be part of your "freebie" but I've heard nice things about the Hotel Indigo. W'e trying to chose between IC, CP and Indigo for our stay.

Last edited by dahorns; Sep 10, 09 at 2:37 pm
Old Sep 16, 09, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

dahorns where did you decide to stay and why?

Originally Posted by dahorns View Post
W'e trying to chose between IC, CP and Indigo for our stay.
what did you decide to do? I'm curious. You were right that Indigo isn't on our options list, but the IC Barclay and the CP are, as well as the Candlewood, HI and HIE properties.
Old Sep 17, 09, 11:52 pm

Programs: DJ Gold, PC Plat
Originally Posted by SeamusSA View Post
Forget Brooklyn or LI - not at all practical for seeing Manhattan.
We stayed at HI Long Island Manhattan View and found it practical for seeing Manhattan - but I wouldn't suggest it using free nights.

Search this Thread