CP London (City/Blackfriars) Master Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 13, 17, 11:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki Link
Crowne Plaza London City

19 New Bridge St,
London, EC4V 6DB, United Kingdom
Mail: loncy.info [@] ihg.com
Tel: +44 871 9429190
Fax: +44 207 4388080

Link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cy/hoteldetail

Link to location:
Google Maps

Next tube / subway station:
Blackfriars Station served by Circle Line and District Line

Older post of this hotel:
Archive Thread
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 17, 16, 1:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Booked an award stay for next year and asked the hotel if they could offer me a comp/copay upgrade (as we were 2 adults / 1 child and award could only be booked for 2 adults). They upgraded us complementary to a two double bed room and said as a Spire I would receive Lounge Access.

Very impress but response time, quick solution etc. Looking forward to my stay.
Old Dec 13, 16, 4:44 am

Stayed here on Sunday night on free night voucher from IHG credit card. Booked a standard room although upgraded to club room on 6th floor with lounge access (as Spire Elite member) and offered 2pm late checkout when we arrived. Also received welcome bonus (600 points). Decor etc of hotel is nice. Bathroom had a bath (with shower over it). We didn't use any of the restaurants/bars as we had other plans.

We grabbed a few drinks in the lounge on Sunday afternoon which is small and also had breakfast there, which was busy. We went between 9 and 930 and all the tables were pretty much taken and all the food was pretty decimated! Hot food (eggs + bacon) ran out, but we requested they fetch some more (which they did!).

Lounge times say:

Breakfast
06:30 - 09:30 Weekdays
07:00 - 11:00 Weekend and bank holidays

Evening Drinks and Canapes
18:30 - 20:30 Daily
(Canapes and alcoholic drinks)

Lounge Access
06:00 - 22:30 Daily

Although when we got back to the hotel at around 23:30 on Sunday evening, the lounge was open (although laid out for breakfast). The alcohol fridge is locked outside of the Canape time but the soft drink one is available all day, as are tea and coffee. In the afternoon, snacks included crisps and cookies.

I would definitely stay here again as it's a nice property in a good location (quiet, a bit away from things). 2 minute walk to Blackfriars station for train/tube. About 20min walk to Covent Garden, and the same over to Waterloo along The Southbank (if you are travelling light!). There is also a Sainsburys Local + Tesco Express opposite the hotel.
Old Apr 7, 18, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
check your award reservations....

A few months ago when the Kimpton conversion was completed, I booked an award stay at the CP City for later in April using one of my free Kimpton nights. I was given a choice of accommodations including a "one bed suite." I went to check something on the reservation today, and it's showing that the hotel has changed my stay to a revenue stay at 364 GBP, and that the hotel no longer has any award rooms for the night in question.

I'm going to wait until Monday to get somebody at some sort of supervisory level at IHG to look into this. I have an email confirmation showing "FREE" so i'm going to be quite cross if they try to tell me I have to find a different property to use my certificate. There is nothing comparable on points on short notice, I don't consider an 18 sqm room at the IC Park Lane with no Spire benefits to be similar even though it's at a higher redemption rate, and the location is lousy for what I need on this trip (into LGW, out of LCY).

The fact that multiple room types were available when I made my selection isn't unusual, the Indigo Paddington has 4 different room types available on award for that night. If the suite wasn't supposed to be available, downgrade me to a club room, send me an email, and stick a reasonable amount of points in my account as an apology.

But.. I suspect that the property manager simply did not want to honor the award stay and thought that he/she could get away with changing it and hoping that I didn't notice until I arrived at the property and had no choice. Nobody made any attempt to call my cell phone or send me an email message. The Kimpton award expires on April 30.

If IHG just throws up their hands and says that they can't overrule the property, I have made a backup at a Marriott property that's not ideal but would have been my choice if the CP hadn't been available in the first place. But then I'm going to want 50,000 points back in my account to make up for the certificate (which I could have used at the Epic last weekend instead of points), plus more for the inconvenience.
Old Apr 7, 18, 4:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
That happened to me a while back too (canít remember for which hotel).Was just an IT issue and the rewards stay was honored no problem
Old Apr 7, 18, 1:45 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I've just checked my rewards booking for this hotel, my booking also has an average nightly rate where before i think it just used to say 0.00, it is still down as a rewards night booking in the description...i shall wait to see what you come back with before query it with them
Old Apr 7, 18, 2:07 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick View Post
A few months ago when the Kimpton conversion was completed, I booked an award stay at the CP City for later in April using one of my free Kimpton nights. I was given a choice of accommodations including a "one bed suite." I went to check something on the reservation today, and it's showing that the hotel has changed my stay to a revenue stay at 364 GBP, and that the hotel no longer has any award rooms for the night in question.

I'm going to wait until Monday to get somebody at some sort of supervisory level at IHG to look into this. I have an email confirmation showing "FREE" so i'm going to be quite cross if they try to tell me I have to find a different property to use my certificate. There is nothing comparable on points on short notice, I don't consider an 18 sqm room at the IC Park Lane with no Spire benefits to be similar even though it's at a higher redemption rate, and the location is lousy for what I need on this trip (into LGW, out of LCY).

The fact that multiple room types were available when I made my selection isn't unusual, the Indigo Paddington has 4 different room types available on award for that night. If the suite wasn't supposed to be available, downgrade me to a club room, send me an email, and stick a reasonable amount of points in my account as an apology.

But.. I suspect that the property manager simply did not want to honor the award stay and thought that he/she could get away with changing it and hoping that I didn't notice until I arrived at the property and had no choice. Nobody made any attempt to call my cell phone or send me an email message. The Kimpton award expires on April 30.

If IHG just throws up their hands and says that they can't overrule the property, I have made a backup at a Marriott property that's not ideal but would have been my choice if the CP hadn't been available in the first place. But then I'm going to want 50,000 points back in my account to make up for the certificate (which I could have used at the Epic last weekend instead of points), plus more for the inconvenience.
I think you are unrealistic and you punted a chance on the mistake with Kimpton implementation, CP City historically is though very good at upgrading Ambassadors/RA's and Spires on checkin day to club, even on award nights. No one expects the free night to book into a suite.

It was reported at the time during Kimpton free nights first week of being bookable that at many hotels all room types were incorrectly bookable and that most 'chancers' who booked the costlier top cat rooms/suites were downgraded within the following week to the correct standard (entry level) room that free night should book too.

fyi, Indigo Paddington is actually an exception, it is a really small hotel, and popular too as convenient to Paddington Station. When occupancy is high this hotel has often released all rooms to ensure/get >95% occupancy to trigger IHG Corp paying average daily rate for award rooms versus the usual pittance.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
It was reported at the time during Kimpton free nights first week of being bookable that at many hotels all room types were incorrectly bookable and that most 'chancers' who booked the costlier top cat rooms/suites were downgraded within the following week to the correct standard (entry level) room that free night should book too..
That would be perfectly acceptable. But since I made the reservation 3.5 months out, the least they could do in that situation would be to send me an email.
Old Apr 12, 18, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So.... I spent an hour on the phone with IHG, and it took 5 people to get to one who understood what was happening, actually understood the program rules, and could try to do something about it.

Upshot was:
- Hotel property unilaterally changed the reservation on April 3 to a paid rate, made no comments in the reservation, and did not make any contact to me.
- The hotel did not release the certificate back into my account, which is why I didn't see it when i'd log in. Clearly they were hoping I'd show up off of a redeand they'd bulldoze me into paying 364 GBP on the spot.
- The supervisor said that the hotel had no availability for any room type with either points or Kimpton nights.
- When the supervisor called the hotel, they claimed that nobody had authority on overriding availability. In essence, go **** yourself.
- The certificate still expires April 30, but IHG was able to make a one time exception and apply it to a points reservation i have elsewhere on July 2. They could not exchange it for the award stay I had on March 29 and just give me those points. But I cannot change the new reservation after April 30 and keep the certificate. Thankfully I'm about 90% sure I'm going to keep the July 2 reservation.
- The supervisor was able to award me 15k for being on the phone for an hour and now having to go find a different hotel in London.

So, I'm willing to write this off as a Kimpton transition IT issue (making rooms available under a new reward category and the hotel property forgetting to go in and make them unavailable), combined with bad attitude from the property (it's 2018, the least they could have done was send me an email) and general IHG incompetence (Agent #4 kept on saying that my Everly free night was the certificate that had been put back in my account, and that it was only good at Kimpton properties). If IHG had somehow gotten the property to force availability, I'm sure it would have been for the lousiest room in the place, even as a Spire.

Instead, I'm at Marriott County Hall, where as a Gold I should get some lounge access. Not my first choice, I walked around that area between Westminster and Waterloo when I was in London last April and wasn't overly impressed. But it's a wash logistically (more challenging from LGW, easier to LCY because I avoid Bank Station), and it's only one night.

But I will write off the CP for future visits, and encourage others to do so as well.
Old Jun 9, 18, 5:01 pm

Will stay at the hotel in August with points, Is there any Datapoint that we could be upgrade to club room as Platinum Ambassador? Thanks,
Old Jun 9, 18, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by fgroupgroup View Post
Will stay at the hotel in August with points, Is there any Datapoint that we could be upgrade to club room as Platinum Ambassador? Thanks,
I was Spire and they would have offered me a club room but I agreed with them a paid upgrade to a suite
Old Feb 12, 19, 9:54 am

Have a stay booked 3/10-3/13 with them. First time in london and am Platinum via IHG card. I was looking to email the guest relations manager but couldn't find any of the emails. Can anyone help me out please.
Also what are the chances of us getting upgraded to a club room being just a platinum?
Old Feb 12, 19, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dr.Leo View Post
Have a stay booked 3/10-3/13 with them. First time in london and am Platinum via IHG card. I was looking to email the guest relations manager but couldn't find any of the emails. Can anyone help me out please.
Also what are the chances of us getting upgraded to a club room being just a platinum?
There is a phone number on the website if it is that important to you. I think that asking the same question over multiple threads is irritating for those of us who read them and unlikely to result in anyone assisting you.
Old Feb 12, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
[email protected] will get you reception
Old Feb 13, 19, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
I imagine 30% of guests at City on any night will be Spire or Plat ....
Old Feb 13, 19, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

I imagine 30% of guests at City on any night will be Spire or Plat ....
On weekend nights, bank holiday nights and "school-is-out-for-the-summer" and other UK school vacation nights? That seems pretty high for those kind of nights.

But March 10-13th doesn't line us well with such off-peak days IIRC, and so I doubt that Platinum will do a whole lot of anything on a 3-night stay at this property during this time.

Search this Thread