FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IC COEX or Grand Seoul (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/974295-ic-coex-grand-seoul.html)

jexelot Jul 12, 2009 11:43 am

IC COEX or Grand Seoul

I was searching the thread in regards to this property but cannot find that much info. Any updates in regards to this property in terms of benefits as an RA? How they treat the guests? Upgrade? Club access with free internet?

sansim97 Jul 12, 2009 12:36 pm

I've heard that it is improving but still at very conservative level. I think the reason for that is since two properties are almost always doing well (in terms of occupancy), they really do not give much efforts towards benefits. But, nevethless, I've heard different feedbacks from different people. I'd recommend the Grand Seoul (two properties are nearby, 5 mins away from each other).

jpdx Jul 12, 2009 12:51 pm

I'd sat the Grand is better if you're looking for a suite upgrade. I've had upgrades to some very large suites there (some are sparsely furnished, and have somewhat weird layouts). It's a nice hotel with good RA treatment; my only complaint during my last couple of stays was that they removed the large size liquor bottles from the minibar (I didn't want to drink them, but I detest this practice).

G-BOAC Jul 12, 2009 1:20 pm

From basic/lowest rate types: Grand - normally a junior suite type upgrade. COEX - business room upgrade. The benefits at the COEX in lieu of a suite, however, are excellent. The business room includes a very decent free buffet breakfast downstairs and free 'net. The minibars are about on a par with each other, but the COEX has the edge for me. I've stayed in both (indeed, if you're there for a week or something they're close enough to switch to get more points which I've done before) multiple times and prefer the COEX. Last time the manager actually came out to see me and give me his card when I checked out which has never happened at any other IC to me that I recall, and left a great impression.

jexelot Jul 12, 2009 3:48 pm

I think i will lean on the Grand property. thnx for the info. I can see that the Grand has a free club access promotion. Does this comes with an internet use from the room? booked the standard king club so hope they give me a suite upgrade :)
Will be reporting at this property soon

jexelot Jul 14, 2009 12:05 pm

i guess will be staying instead at the IC COEX due to pointbreaks ^:-:;)

bschaff1 Jul 15, 2009 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jexelot (Post 12064952)
i guess will be staying instead at the IC COEX due to pointbreaks ^:-:;)

Same here. I guess occupancy must not be so good lately, but the price is excellent to say the least.

OneWorldTraveller Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by bschaff1 (Post 12070524)
Same here. I guess occupancy must not be so good lately, but the price is excellent to say the least.

I also booked 4 nights in IC Seoul COEX!! What a huge deal.. I'm just wondering how they will serve ambassodor member benefits for the award stay.. :)

IntlSalesGuy Jul 15, 2009 8:01 pm

I was just at the IC COEX last week for 2 separate stays (7/5 and 7/8). It did not seem too busy and there were mostly tour groups at the property.

I booked the cheapest room and as an Ambassador, they gave me an upgrade to the "Elite Floor". It's basically a normal room on a higher floor with free wired internet, fruit (2 oranges and an apple), and an extra bottle of water. Nothing fancy.

I'll have to try the Grand Seoul next time.

OneWorldTraveller Jul 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by IntlSalesGuy (Post 12073289)
I was just at the IC COEX last week for 2 separate stays (7/5 and 7/8). It did not seem too busy and there were mostly tour groups at the property.

I booked the cheapest room and as an Ambassador, they gave me an upgrade to the "Elite Floor". It's basically a normal room on a higher floor with free wired internet, fruit (2 oranges and an apple), and an extra bottle of water. Nothing fancy.

I'll have to try the Grand Seoul next time.

So, there're no club floor upgrade including lounge access and breakfast. T.T Right?

aau Jul 16, 2009 1:51 am

I'm booked at the COEX this Sunday night. I have an overnight in Seoul on my way to China for the eclipse. I booked the COEX solely due to PB. I have a Mon. morning flight from ICN to Shenyang on LH departing at 6:30AM. Is it going to be a problem getting from the hotel to the airport this early in the morning? If it's going to be a huge hassle price-wise/time-wise, I want to cancel my PB and get something close to the airport. TIA

WilcoRoger Jul 16, 2009 3:05 am

Originally Posted by aau (Post 12074386)
I'm booked at the COEX this Sunday night. I have an overnight in Seoul on my way to China for the eclipse. I booked the COEX solely due to PB. I have a Mon. morning flight from ICN to Shenyang on LH departing at 6:30AM. Is it going to be a problem getting from the hotel to the airport this early in the morning? If it's going to be a huge hassle price-wise/time-wise, I want to cancel my PB and get something close to the airport. TIA

Just take a cab, it's about 60.000 KRW. At that time of the day traffic should be low.

Shareholder Jul 16, 2009 9:31 am

So why didn't OP just add onto that thread instead of starting another?

aau, a cab is your only option and the only good thing is there will be little traffic to contend with. That means you can make it from the COEX to ICN in far less than the usual 90-minutes, likely an hour. But you would also need to allow an hour for processing through the airport, so don't leave any later than 4:30a. When I have such early flights, even up to noon, I stay at the Hyatt, but I believe there may not be a Sheraton or 4Pts open, as well as one of two other chains.

No Club at the COEX, but they now upgrade Ambassadors/RAs to their Business Rooms, with RAs getting a free breakfast in the restaurant...quite a spread! While there is a Club level/lounge at the Grand, I know of no RA who has even been upgraded to that level from a basic room, just a large pseudo-suite. I've stayed at both twice this year and that was my experience. Gift at the Grand is more generous: a selection of local drinks and a pen. At the COEX it tends to be specialty tea and no gift item. At both there is the standard fruit and water.

Even on an award, an Ambassador is likely to get a Business Room, but little else.

Not sure if it's still being offered (was last there in March), but the lounge on the main level used to have an interesting evening offer: either all the wine you could drink (a selection of reds and whites) or all the beer you could handle, plus a reasonably nice hot and cold buffet in the evening. IIRC the tab was about U$20, a great value as there was enough on the buffet to have a decent dinner, not to mention the drinks!

bschaff1 Jul 16, 2009 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 12075857)
Not sure if it's still being offered (was last there in March), but the lounge on the main level used to have an interesting evening offer: either all the wine you could drink (a selection of reds and whites) or all the beer you could handle, plus a reasonably nice hot and cold buffet in the evening. IIRC the tab was about U$20, a great value as there was enough on the buffet to have a decent dinner, not to mention the drinks!

Nice to know about that. I'm sure I'll take advanta:D

I thought I would add in transportation to and from the COEX as far as what I found for buses looks very easy with the KAL limousine buses. Check it out here and the button for English is in the upper right hand corner. It is an 80 minute ride according to the website. I've done the buses last time I was in Seoul and it's very tolerable for spacious and cheap transportation.

Happy Jul 16, 2009 11:05 am

aau, if I were you, I would stay at Hyatt ICN instead.

If you dont mind to step down, there is a local apartment-type operation that is housed in the apartment complex at the street corner opposite from Hyatt - that charges only 50K Won per night. The units are Studio apartment units scattered among different floors of the building, with different bed configurations. They provide free shuttles between the complex and airport. Also, the free airport shuttle has a stop just accross street from the apartment complex on the Main road straightly leads to ICN. We used this lodging option recently for our arrival night (8:50pm) before we headed to town next morning. It is a no frill but very clean studio room with shower facility and a small kitchenette with fridge and microwave. The only drawback was, the curtain was not designed to block the sunlight, so we woke up really early. However, given your very early flight, this should not be an issue at all!

If you are interested, you can PM me and I will give you more info, including their website. They have a woman who speaks acceptable English, and works from afternoon till midnight local time.