Wiki Posts
Search

IC COEX or Grand Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Question for you all: right now the Seoul Coex is offering a breakfast rate (breakfast for two) for about 33,000 Won per day. Is this a good offer? Where is this breakfast offered, and what kind of food is available?

Previously when we stayed at the Grand Parnas, the breakfast buffet prices seemed excessive, about this amount per person, IIRC. I'm thinking the same breakfast for half price, effectively, is too good to be true. Currently the IC Seoul Coex Web site says breakfast at the Brasserie is 45,000 Won/adult.
Seoul Coex breakfast is buffet but has a very good spread with some cooked to order items.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Seoul Coex breakfast is buffet but has a very good spread with some cooked to order items.
Good to know this, many thanks. May I ask, do you know how it works if you pay for a breakfast-included rate at this property? At many hotels, they give you a “ticket” which can be exchanged for a breakfast. Is that how it works here?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Good to know this, many thanks. May I ask, do you know how it works if you pay for a breakfast-included rate at this property? At many hotels, they give you a “ticket” which can be exchanged for a breakfast. Is that how it works here?
Just name and room number, they'll just cross your name off their list.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG PA, Hilton Sucks, Hyatt Discoverist
Nice post by Scienm from years ago... Does anybody know whether the outcomes he mentioned still apply in 2017? I especially need to know what upgrades look like for Plat Ambassador (not RA), at these two hotels.

Originally Posted by scienm
Grand Seoul has same upgrade policy for AMB/RA. Just 1 step upgrade.
Also you can't get upgrade higher than Residence Suite even if you book Residence Suite.
Even if you are a RA, they won't give you neither club benefit or 2 step upgrade.
Exactly same as an Ambassador. But you can get free sauna
Usually they charge about $30 for sauna.

Coex Seoul offers upgrade to ambassador floor(higher and nice view) with free internet for ambassador member. They don't have 1-Category higher room so they offer free internet instead.
RA will get club room and free sauna. They opened newly built club lounge from this year. So it's new.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:38 pm

I’m trying to decide where to stay in Seoul. Thought of picking either IC Coex or IC GP but prices are high for me. Now looking at the Holiday Inn Express Euljiro. Has anyone stayed there and the IC’s? I like a good breakfast. Am familiar with HIE and realize it’s no comparison to an IC breakfast buffet but then again, it’s included in the price of the room at HIE. Price of breakfast at the IC’s are almost as much as the room alone at HIE.

It looks like HIE Euljiro is next to a subway station making it easy to get around. Breakfasts and subways are probably my two main concerns but having a few things in the area to eat / shop / sightsee would be nice for an evening after dinner walk. This will be a sightseeing trip, first time to Seoul.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Based on your preferences I support your choice. In addition to your arguements the COEX area (where both ICs are located) is not a good base for sightseeing.
HIX in Asia are typically superior compared to those in the US, which also includes a slightly better breakfast selection. Have not stayed at this particular property though.

Depending on the timing of your trip you may also choose HIX Hongdae (scheduled to open later this year). This is a nice area with lots of good restaurants and bars (less traditional, more "hip").
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by db1234db1234
I’m trying to decide where to stay in Seoul. Thought of picking either IC Coex or IC GP but prices are high for me. Now looking at the Holiday Inn Express Euljiro. Has anyone stayed there and the IC’s? I like a good breakfast. Am familiar with HIE and realize it’s no comparison to an IC breakfast buffet but then again, it’s included in the price of the room at HIE. Price of breakfast at the IC’s are almost as much as the room alone at HIE.

It looks like HIE Euljiro is next to a subway station making it easy to get around. Breakfasts and subways are probably my two main concerns but having a few things in the area to eat / shop / sightsee would be nice for an evening after dinner walk. This will be a sightseeing trip, first time to Seoul.
AirBnB is increasingly popular in Seoul, you might consider it. We are a family of four (two teenagers), and the last two times we were in Seoul as a family (2015 and 2018) we stayed in the same AirBnB place, pictured in this thread. There are pros and cons associated with both hotel and AirBnB stays, so YMMV, but to borrow a turn of phrase from the great Chico Escuela, AirBnB, in Seoul, at least, has been very good for us.

Were I shopping for an AirBnB place in Seoul, I would look for 1) proximity to transportation (subway station, and bus stops), 2) location (quiet is good, not too close to busy roads/railroads), 3) proximity to stuff I would want (grocery, restaurants), 4) an abundance of credible, good reviews.

Have a look at the other thread. The last time we were there (just over two weeks), we did the AirBnB for 10 or 11 days, and the IC CoEx for 3 nights. The IC CoEx and/or the IC Grand Parnas are both very close to City Air Terminal, which can make checking in for the return flights a bit more convenient. I have enjoyed staying at both hotels, but two rooms for two weeks really puts a strain on the Pinhead family budget.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:28 pm

I’ll take a look at HIE Hongdae. Looks like it’s next to a subway stop as well.

Ill likely be using points on this trip so AirBnB is out for me but I did read your linked posts.

Thanks all.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Current rates for a free night:

IC Grand
40,000 points

IC COEX
35,000 points

Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Current rates for a free night:

IC Grand
40,000 points

IC COEX
35,000 points

I’d consider the IC’s however I thought I read breakfast is something like $40-45 usd per person.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I very much like the IC Grand Parnas, not a fan of the COEX.

Breakfast at the Lounge is nice. If you don't have Club access do yourself a favor and DON'T pay at the restaurant. Go down to Parnas Mall or have breakfast at Suji's across the esplanade (inside City Air Terminal Building). The restaurant breakfast at IC was one of the worst I've seen in recent years.

Price wise it's also not interesting, ifyou really want a hotel breakfast and stay at the IC go across the street to Park Hyatt and eat at Cornerstone.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:47 pm

I’d consider the IC’s however I thought I read breakfast is something like $40-45 usd per person.

Buying lounge access as an upgrade on IHG website before arriving, or directly booking a room already with lounge access (both which include evening food & morning breakfast in the lounge) is much better value, especially if there are 2 guests.
Check if taxes are included before deciding if lounge price is right for you.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway

IC Grand Parnas > IC Coex, newer rooms, (sorry to say i hated the green carpet in COEX, and that the shower room ceiling is way too low, my bf had a hard time taking a shower properly (he's 187cm), more friendly staffs IMO, although it's under the same owner & management team.
I'm also a regular at HIEX Euljiro, front desk lacks product knowledge and always giving out wrong information (once missed my breakfast, missed my wake up call, didn't do hotel tax refund), don't expect too much from them, otherwise, very good location, arriving airport bus stop is right across the street, next to a subway station, good room, good breakfast (one of the best in Asia).
Haven''t tried the one on Hongdae yet am going to do so in April.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by manucanuck
IC Grand Parnas > IC Coex, newer rooms, (sorry to say i hated the green carpet in COEX, and that the shower room ceiling is way too low, my bf had a hard time taking a shower properly (he's 187cm), more friendly staffs IMO, although it's under the same owner & management team.
I'm also a regular at HIEX Euljiro, front desk lacks product knowledge and always giving out wrong information (once missed my breakfast, missed my wake up call, didn't do hotel tax refund), don't expect too much from them, otherwise, very good location, arriving airport bus stop is right across the street, next to a subway station, good room, good breakfast (one of the best in Asia).
Haven''t tried the one on Hongdae yet am going to do so in April.
thanks for the info as I’m still undecided. I might split my stay and try both the IC GP and HIX Euljiro. Using points so no club. And yeah, Coex looks so outdated compared to GP.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by manucanuck
I'm also a regular at HIEX Euljiro, front desk lacks product knowledge and always giving out wrong information (once missed my breakfast, missed my wake up call, didn't do hotel tax refund), don't expect too much from them,

I never had any of these problems with the staff there and I don't even speak korean.
They also gave me a tourist hotel tax refund form without any fuss in summer 2018. I got the money at the airport when leaving korea without any problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.