Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"New" RA qualifiying limits as of June 1st, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Sigh. Downgraded overnight from RA to A. In my entire RA year (which ran 25 July 2008 to today it seems):

- 33 paid IC nights
- At 12 different ICs
- Across 7 different countries
- Out of 58 paid nights in total in that period
- IC stays by far the highest, next in chain was 13 CP nights, 11 HI nights and 1 HIX.

Given last year they renewed me from 39 total RA year nights with only 11 IC nights at 5 ICs in 5 countries, this seems crazy. I showed my appreciation and loyalty for that with a three-fold increase in my IC stays during a massive economic downturn. They reward that with a downgrade
Old Jul 25, 2009, 5:03 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Sigh. Downgraded overnight from RA to A. In my entire RA year (which ran 25 July 2008 to today it seems):

- 33 paid IC nights
- At 12 different ICs
- IC stays by far the highest, next in chain was 13 CP nights, 11 HI nights and 1 HIX.

Given last year they renewed me from 39 total RA year nights with only 11 IC nights at 5 ICs in 5 countries, this seems crazy. I showed my appreciation and loyalty for that with a three-fold increase in my IC stays during a massive economic downturn. They reward that with a downgrade
Sounds that you have the customer-value to call and request a manual upgrade. I can see not passing their automated measurements, yet you might/should be able to pass their manual measurements. Try a few times, I'll bet you'll get upgraded back to RA.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k

- 33 paid IC nights
- At 12 different ICs

Seems to be huge inconsistency- given that I was renewed a couple of weeks ago at the 10 month mark with 9 paid IC nights out of 57 paid PC nights (mostly HI/HIX) and overall barely over $5k spend.

One other thought - I wonder if there is a difference depending on location (a bit like UA GS). Until I read your post, I was going to post saying that it all seemed to be a storm in a teacup, and that most of the recent reports (such as mine) pointed to no change.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite

- 33 paid IC nights
- At 12 different ICs

I think you got a bad rap. 36 ICs is a lot of revenue for ICH
I recently requested for a renewal. My request was promptly turned down. I had 68 nights including 9 ICs from Jul 08 to mid Jul 09. Suggestions about requests for auto/manual upgrade measurement looks like grovelling for elite status. I have moved on just like paulmoscow. It takes a couple of weeks to attain plat. amb. Never put all your eggs in one basket.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 3:47 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Looking at some of the latest downgrades I'm seriously starting to doubt the sanity of whoever "cooked up" the new criteria. Nothing wrong with raising the bar, but there are some serious high IC stay people around that got turned down at least pre going the manual intervention route. I maybe in a similar spot later this year and am really wondering if it is worth another extra push towards an opaque target or should I rather take several of my next stays and up status at Hilton for example from Gold to Diamond. Personally I prefer gtting fee breakfast & internet etc at a Hilton then beng able to empty a minibar, but that's just me. The 8am check-in is great but even at other chains they try to accomodate for such cases if you got top status (e.g. the Hyatt BKK never refused my 7am check-ins as Diamond).

I think if and when several of us receive a downgrade, we will severly cut our stay volumes at IC & ICHG affiliated hotels and go by the convenience / price approach which may actually be a bessing in disguise. I have been piling nights in with ICHG exactly to maintain RA but that may go away if they don't come to their senses. I would keep Ambassador and PC Plat is no challenge anyway (well and 'lil use in the sense of real tangible benefits - though there are some few properties being nice) , but considering all I think my stay volume would drop at least by 50% from an average of 50-70 nights annually. The best part overall are Points Breaks anyway and the rest ... oh well time will tell.

Last edited by demue; Jul 27, 2009 at 8:55 pm
Old Jul 26, 2009, 4:19 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Another data point. I was downgraded Saturday with overall 60 paid qualifying nights at ICH properties in the past 12 months :

- 35 at 10 different InterContinental properties in 7 different countries
- 9 at Crowne Plazas
- 13 at Holiday Inns
- 3 at Holiday Inn Express

As in the case of gregorygrady, a first e-mail query yielded a seemingly quite positive outlook, which was followed by increasingly evasive replies and finally this downgrade.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Well, well! Yesterday the downgrade for me was plain as day. This morning the ‘Ambassador Renewal’ item on my ‘Other Activity’ is gone completely (I used the 400+ event link to get the whole lot) and it says:

26 Jul 2009 ROYAL AMBASSADOR STATUS 0 pts. 0 pts.
25 Jul 2009 ROYAL AMBASSADOR RENEWAL 0 pts. 0 pts

It very clearly said ‘Platinum Ambassador’ and ‘July 2010’ expiry yesterday but today it says ‘Platinum Royal Ambassador’ and the expiry date is gone again. Switching the main site language to French and checking the ‘old skool’ account page style where the dates are still shown says:

Niveau d'adhésion: Membre Royal Ambassador - Platine
Expiration du statut Royal Ambassador: JUIL. 2010

I didn't contact anyone or do anything at all. So, looks like there is some intelligence in the system after all! ^ (I now dread logging in tomorrow in case it's changed again! )
Old Jul 26, 2009, 7:19 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Well, well! Yesterday the downgrade for me was plain as day. This morning the ‘Ambassador Renewal’ item on my ‘Other Activity’ is gone completely (I used the 400+ event link to get the whole lot) and it says:

It very clearly said ‘Platinum Ambassador’ and ‘July 2010’ expiry yesterday but today it says ‘Platinum Royal Ambassador’ and the expiry date is gone again. Switching the main site language to French and checking the ‘old skool’ account page style where the dates are still shown says:

I didn't contact anyone or do anything at all. So, looks like there is some intelligence in the system after all! ^ (I now dread logging in tomorrow in case it's changed again! )
Amazing. Congratulations and thanks for posting this ! I just checked my account and it has exactly what you describe above ... Let's see what tomorrow brings.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:15 pm

Wonderful news G-BOAC! ^
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:02 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*

Watched pots don't boil?

The expirations that don't pass automated testing (is there such a thing?) probably generate a report for manual review. So you were a lowly Ambassador for a few days. Have a drink at the minibar to sooth the nerves.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by eutow
Wonderful news G-BOAC! ^
I got the same view on my account under "activities" I was apparently upgraded. I had to confirm it on the french site......the status was clearly stated. The expiry date Jul 2010 was also indicated. I guess I have to learn french in order to get more information about my account
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by havepointswilltravel
I guess I have to learn french in order to get more information about my account
Now you are Ambassadeur Royal du Club Prioritaire

But if you go on the Print Member card link, you will get the information in English
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:04 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Hey all, got the downgrade letter last week and am now in the process of requesting a review of my account for renewal. I have followed gregorygrady's lead and have lead off with the following emai...will post results.

Hello,

I am writing to request a review of my Intercontinental Royal Ambassador status based upon recent and planned activity in my account.

I recently received a letter explaining that I will not be renewed for Royal Ambassador status this year, just normal Ambassador. I just had another 5 nights post to my Priority Club acct for a July 2009 stay that occurred after I received the letter. During my Royal Ambassador year (which ends at the end of September), I currently have had had 50 nights at IHG-branded properties. In addition, I have another 11 nights planned with two stays being at Intercontinental properties before the end of September (which would count towards my renewal) giving me a total of 61 nights within my year.

I had been told in previous years that the renewal was based upon the number of nights a member stays during the past year and was also told that number was 50 nights to re qualify for Royal Ambassador status.

Since I would seem to have met this I am respectfully writing to request that you please review my Priority Club acct and renew my Royal Ambassador status based on my stay history and planned stays. In addition to the planned stays I have over the next few months I would like to ensure that I am a Royal Ambassador member before committing to any further stays. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter and please contact me back at this e-mail address or the phone number below to let me know the results.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:36 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Hi guys, with status valid through September I got my downgrade letter today and have the following stats:

53 paid ICHG nights in the last 10 months

21 IC nights in 7 different IC's (5 countries, 2 continents)
8 CP nights
2 Indigo nights
4 HI nights
18 HIX nights

I will not beg for RA status, just wait if a magic change appears as it has for others here. I will probably not book any more nights in the next two months as I'd like to renew spg Plat at the moment.

I guess I will write a short notice to the CEO of ICHG that I just can't understand what their idea of a loyality program is and will cash in my 750k points for those prepaid Amex cards (as this may hurt most).

Last edited by ralfkrippner; Jul 30, 2009 at 8:48 am
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
I checked my account today (haven't checked it for about a week( and my RA status has now been renewed until 2010.

So it seems they do track your RA account and might update it. Between the day that I received my downgrade letter and today, I did stay another 8 nights in 3 different IC's, adding to the total number if nights at the time I recieved the letter.

So keep your fingers crossed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.