Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points and Cash: New reward nights options Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: PC Plat
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
I've got a similar problem. Paid $30 for 5000 points. £19.90 (approx $30) was authorised off my Visa debit card immediately. The authorisation dropped after 5 working days (as is usual on my account). That was about 2 weeks ago. Still no sign of the money actually being taken

What's the problem with not being charged. Just wait and maybe you don't pay at all. To me it happened instead that in a points & cash transaction I was charged twice for the points purchased at 30$ per 5k and it was a pain to get it sorted, cause the points are indeed not billed by the hotel but by IHG headquarters.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by coolboy1982
What's the problem with not being charged. Just wait and maybe you don't pay at all. To me it happened instead that in a points & cash transaction I was charged twice for the points purchased at 30$ per 5k and it was a pain to get it sorted, cause the points are indeed not billed by the hotel but by IHG headquarters.
If someone wants to convert $30 into 5000 points then it is a problem for him if his credit card doesn't get charged.

Then he can't cancel the reservation and get the points. This may be required at the onset of Point Breaks.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by coolboy1982
What's the problem with not being charged.
Because if I forget to account for the $30 and they decide to take the money on some random day, my bank account will go into an unauthorised overdraft and my bank will charge £30 (or whatever it is these days).
Old Aug 4, 2010, 5:33 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
I've got a similar problem. Paid $30 for 5000 points. £19.90 (approx $30) was authorised off my Visa debit card immediately. The authorisation dropped after 5 working days (as is usual on my account). That was about 2 weeks ago. Still no sign of the money actually being taken
Yea, I've had this happen too, royal pain. Yet, sooner or later, it'll post. One of the reasons I don't use debit cards for this type of transaction. I think one way to force the post is to buy another 5000pts (seem to remember a "pending" event posted the next day with a "new" event). Either way, it'll post, just be sure to have the funds to cover it.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Figuring this Out vs. SPG's Framework

I used to find IHG Points and Cash to be an attractive option, but now I've got plenty of IHG points, so I don't need more. I want the points to be deducted from my existing total; P&C adds them. These point purchases don't count towards Plat status, and I've requalified for Plat anyway. But by choosing points and cash, I'm missing out on possibly significant points earning through bonuses.

With SPG, I would gladly pay a sufficiently discounted rate to purchase points because their points are harder to come by. But that's not the way their Points and Cash work.

Here are the choices for an upcoming night at a U.S. Holiday Inn:

1) Pay govt. rate, $107/night including tax
2) Deduct 15K points (value 0.72 cents per point)
3) Add 10K points + $36 (with tax)
4) Add 5K points + $71 (with tax)

For me, 1 and 2 are the logical options. #2 would seem a good choice if I don't need a qualifying night, and don't expect signficant bonus points - since the value exceeds 0.6 cents per point.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Explore
1) Pay govt. rate, $107/night including tax
2) Deduct 15K points (value 0.72 cents per point)
3) Add 10K points + $36 (with tax)
4) Add 5K points + $71 (with tax)

For me, 1 and 2 are the logical options. #2 would seem a good choice if I don't need a qualifying night, and don't expect signficant bonus points - since the value exceeds 0.6 cents per point.
Based on PC valuations of 5k points = $30 US.
Total Cost ($US)
1) $107
2) $90
3) $96
4) $101
If you have loads of points and have no need for qualifying night (for other promos).... #2 looks good.

Obviously, points can be more valuable (than .72 cents) if used on pointsbreaks, expensive hotels etc, etc.......
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:26 pm

help please!!

im looking to book a HI property in Singapore.

if i book 20000 points+$30 does the $30 count towards the PC points?

i understand cash+points is treated as a reward stay, will the additional spending charge to the hotel bill count towards the PC points? (such as dining, room service...ect)

thanks

Last edited by zqsn5678; Nov 15, 2010 at 2:19 am
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador, A3*G, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
im looking to book a HI property in Singapore.

if i book 2000 points+$30 does the $30 count towards the PC points?

i understand cash+points is treated as a reward stay, will the additional spending charge to the hotel bill count towards the PC points? (such as dining, room service...ect)

thanks
No - it will not. Is is completely treated as a rewards stay. And only accomodation, food and beverage as well as pay tv will be converted into PC points.

It is because at the moment when you book the room your credit card is charged for buying the points. For the hotel the stay is completely paid with points.

By the way: How can you choose 2,000 points + 30$?!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Flamewing
No - it will not. Is is completely treated as a rewards stay. And only accomodation, food and beverage as well as pay tv will be converted into PC points.

It is because at the moment when you book the room your credit card is charged for buying the points. For the hotel the stay is completely paid with points.

By the way: How can you choose 2,000 points + 30$?!
thank for the reply Flamewing, it's 2000''0'' points+$30. missed a zero.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I have been surprised not to see this discussed, but apparently the cost has gone up for 5,000 points.

The last few times I have looked at points & cash award bookings the cost was $40 for 5,000 points off or $60 for 10,000 points off. Not sure if this is true for every hotel.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
I have been surprised not to see this discussed, but apparently the cost has gone up for 5,000 points.

The last few times I have looked at points & cash award bookings the cost was $40 for 5,000 points off or $60 for 10,000 points off. Not sure if this is true for every hotel.
It's been discussed. Yes, it changed.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:25 pm

It was discussed in another thread.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:44 am

Here is the thread where it was discussed:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...0k-points.html

This thread should probably be merged.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
AT, yes I also saw that.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: United/CO, AAdvantage, Hilton Diamond , Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott & PC Plat
question

Sorry if this is answered here already, I did scan this thread and didn't find the answer. Let's say I book 3 nights with cash and points combined with a 3 night consecutive fully paid stay. I understand the cash portion of the cash and points will not earn any points, just want to confirm the paid portion of the fully paid stay portion will pay points / bonuses / count toward CTC promo etc.... Additionally sounds like the extra charges such as food, beverage etc .. will count towards points.

Thanks, Kyle

Last edited by kyletrems; Jan 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.