IC Rome De La Villa - Master Thread [merged] - no longer a IC

Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by onlysuites
A loss to the IC portfolio.
And no more IC in one of major tourist destination country
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:21 am

Quite a loss. The only other acceptable IHG hotel in Rome now will be the Indigo. Quite a nice property, but not a replacement for the IC.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:05 pm

I have a free night and points stay reserved there in April. I just wanted to shift the dates slightly and saw no availability - and found this thread. I wonder what they will propose to do about my reservation...

And what sort of compensation I should request for the inconvenience...

Last edited by eeeee; Jan 23, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by eeeee
I have a free night and points stay reserved there in April. I just wanted to shift the dates slightly and saw no availability - and found this thread. I wonder what they will propose to do about my reservation...

I am the last person to shy away from asking for compensation when it's appropriate. In this case I don't think that IHG actively pursued the termination of the management contract. The operators are at the mercy
of the property owner or whoever rents out the property. So add the IC Rome to the IC Montelucia, the IC Berchtesgarten, the IC Panama Playa Bonita and others. Sorry for your inconvenience.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
you'd think as a matter of policy, irrespective of what type reservation, that they'd notify everyone holding reservations, to let them know they won't be there to host them. a simple courtesy really.

in the alternate, maybe there's a deal for continuity with another tenant, hoping to pick up existing reservations.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I am the last person to shy away from asking for compensation when it's appropriate. In this case I don't think that IHG actively pursued the termination of the management contract. The operators are at the mercy
of the property owner or whoever rents out the property. So add the IC Rome to the IC Montelucia, the IC Berchtesgarten, the IC Panama Playa Bonita and others. Sorry for your inconvenience.
has Playa Bonita gone too? nice pool there. if so didn't last long.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
The operators are at the mercy
The franchise business model has the advantage for the hotel brand to reduce financial risks and investments, by not being the owner of the property. But you can not have it all.

At the end of the contract, the owner has of course the ability to sign with another brand, if it considers that the former one is less interesting.

Sad for customers, but business is business.

It would be interesting to know why the owner decided to put an end at the contract with IHG.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75
The franchise business model has the advantage for the hotel brand to reduce financial risks and investments, by not being the owner of the property. But you can not have it all.

At the end of the contract, the owner has of course the ability to sign with another brand, if it considers that the former one is less interesting.

Sad for customers, but business is business.

It would be interesting to know why the owner decided to put an end at the contract with IHG.
that's right, and publicly held companies have much more pressure on them for short term results, and the management/franchise model provides better returns/multiples than holding real estate. Hence SCH, have been divesting of nearly all their freeholds in recent years.

better use of capital.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by nicolas75
[...]

Judging from the hotel's statement a few posts up, it appears that the hotel business will be shut down entirely. (There might not be the funds for immideate renovation??)

Shame to see it close.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
has Playa Bonita gone too? nice pool there. if so didn't last long.
Sadly it has and the strange thing is that the owner is the same as the one who owns the IC Miramar Panama. Also interestingly the Westin as well. All owned by or by a subsidiary of the Empresas Bern.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Judging from the hotel's statement a few posts up, it appears that the hotel business will be shut down entirely. (There might not be the funds for immideate renovation??)

Shame to see it close.

Interestingly the Hotel Hassler next door seems to be doing just fine and
has done some recent room renovations.
The location is just unbeatable and there were some nice restaurants around
like the Osteria Barberini only a few minutes away. We will miss it.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:18 pm

I first noticed the lack of availability earlier this week; I was going to wait a few days for the glitch to clear up or ask about it here, when word came out here. Nothing's posted on the hotel site. I was thinking of waiting to see when I'd be notified, but I took the advice to change to the Indigo right away. It's a smaller hotel and they were showing five standard rooms left for that date. Best to act quickly if you want to use the free night(s) in central Rome.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:37 am

Sadly it has and the strange thing is that the owner is the same as the one who owns the IC Miramar Panama. Also interestingly the Westin as well. All owned by or by a subsidiary of the Empresas Bern.
i had a lengthy conversation with Giovanni Cerabona, the expat Italian GM at the Miramar property, and he was so proud of the opening over there, that was summer 2014, and i got the impression it wasn't that old.

given the ownership has the Westin also, i imagine it may have been an issue of cannibalizing their own revenues.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:56 am

i was in such disbelief, i emailed two contacts at the property, and they confirmed they close the doors on March 25th, at the end of the lease.

couldn't find resolution between landlord, and tenant.

also confirmed, it was opened in 2001, operating for 15 years.

the GM's PA, Francesca Piccini emailed the official statement in a PDF, unfortunately, i can't cut and paste, nor attach here.

cld also be aggressive negotiation, i'm not giving up all hope till the fat lady sings, they may still do a deal.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
i had a lengthy conversation with Giovanni Cerabona, the expat Italian GM at the Miramar property, and he was so proud of the opening over there, that was summer 2014, and i got the impression it wasn't that old.

given the ownership has the Westin also, i imagine it may have been an issue of cannibalizing their own revenues.
Off topic, but Giovanni isn't at Miramar any longer. Was replaced early
last year. New manager clueless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.