IC Bora Bora Le Moana Master Thread [merged]

Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:50 am

Lightbulb

Would you recommend getting over to Moorea as early as possible on the 2nd day of the trip or is the IC Tahiti worth spending some time at before we make the trip over to Moorea?
The IC Tahiti is a wonderful property with a beautiful view of Moorea. I wouldn't be in a hurry to rush out on your second day. Have a leisurely morning and relax - you're on vacation.

If you go to Moorea first thing, your room will not be ready. I stay at the Hitlon, and every time the lobby is full of people who took the red-eye flight from LAX. They arrive on Moorea at 8:00 a.m. and sit in the lobby, looking tired, waiting until their room is ready in the afternoon. (I don't know why they don't change their clothes and spend the morning at the pool on those comfy loungers.)

Is it better to take the ferry or a flight from Tahiti to Moorea?
I've done both. I slightly prefer the ferry. It's very nice to get out on the water after a long flight. The ferry cost a lot less than the flight (see exception below).

One time I took the flight from Moorea to Tahiti. I bought a "Bora Bora Pass" from Air Tahiti https://www.airtahiti.com/multiisland-fares because it only cost 10 euros more that a Tahiti-Bora round trip. So I was basically getting the Moorea-Tahiti flight for 10 euros. That flight is very short (15 minutes in the air). It is nice to see Moorea and Tahiti from an airplane.

Do you have ambassador and if so did any of those places give you ambassador benefits?
Yes, I got a welcoming gift and a fruit plate and bottled water. Don't expect a room upgrade. I've never gotten one. Some others have. It's not a sure thing.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
It looks like July 6 is available right now on points. Looking to complete my stay around July 13-23. Ideally at the thalasso but Le Moana would be great as well.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: IHG AMB/Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Is there any major difference between the Overwater Horizon bungalow and the end of the pontoon bungalow? I know the end of the pontoon ones are at the end of the row - but the physical rooms, any bigger or nicer? I have some reward nights booked for the beach bungalow and will be paying to upgrade to OWB. I do not plan to be going to Bora Bora often given its location and cost, so as a 1 time splurge I am fine paying the upgrade fees, the question is it worth ~$150USD a night more for the end of the pontoon vs the horizon OWB?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by eggzlot
Is there any major difference between the Overwater Horizon bungalow and the end of the pontoon bungalow? I know the end of the pontoon ones are at the end of the row - but the physical rooms, any bigger or nicer? I have some reward nights booked for the beach bungalow and will be paying to upgrade to OWB. I do not plan to be going to Bora Bora often given its location and cost, so as a 1 time splurge I am fine paying the upgrade fees, the question is it worth ~$150USD a night more for the end of the pontoon vs the horizon OWB?
Just got back from Bora Bora in mid August and it was my 6th visit. Previously stayed 3 times at Thalasso and this time I only stayed at Le Moana (also my 3rd stay). I was upgraded to the end of the pontoon bungalow # 74, I wasn't very impressed by the view, after 3 nights I moved to the horizon bungalow # 25, the view is much better and I like it more. It overlooks sofitel motu private island and Mount Otemanu on the left.

The overwater bungalows at Le Moana are all identical, same size and same amenities, except one overwater suite # 75-76. The only advantage for the end of the pontoon bungalow is people hardly walk past your bungalow, but later I find it not necessary the truth. At the long pontoon, the end of pontoon overwater bungalows are night next to the platforms (unused jetty) where some guests tend to visit for photos.

Last edited by GordonGordon; Sep 25, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Just got back from Bora Bora in mid August and it was my 6th visit. Previously stayed 3 times at Thalasso and this time I only stayed at Le Moana (also my 3rd stay). I was upgraded to the end of the pontoon bungalow # 74, I wasn't very impressed by the view, after 3 nights I moved to the horizon bungalow # 25, the view is much better and I like it more. It overlooks sofitel motu private island and Mount Otemanu on the left.

The overwater bungalows at Le Moana are all identical, same size and same amenities, except one overwater suite # 75-76. The only advantage for the end of the pontoon bungalow is people hardly walk past your bungalow, but later I find it not necessary the truth. At the long pontoon, the end of pontoon overwater bungalows are night next to the platforms (unused jetty) where some guests tend to visit for photos.

Thanks I saw those maps online but did not give me XRay vision into inside the rooms :-) I'll stick to the horizon OWB and hopefully try to request a good view of Mount O. I'll save the $150USD to help offset the expensive food

To get an idea of the layout - where is bungalow #25 ?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:19 am

Lightbulb The beach bungalow is great too!

Here is a view from the deck of a beach bungalow. Personally, I preferred this to the OWB. It has a nice deck, four loungers, a table for two, and a beach just steps away.

More pictures here: https://bhughes.smugmug.com/Travel/T...-November-2015
Carl Christensen likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Thanks I saw those maps online but did not give me XRay vision into inside the rooms :-) I'll stick to the horizon OWB and hopefully try to request a good view of Mount O. I'll save the $150USD to help offset the expensive food

To get an idea of the layout - where is bungalow #25 ?
Oh...the black and white pic has all the bungalow numbers. Maybe it is too small to read. You can right click on the image and save it on your computer, then open the image file and enlarge it.

I personally think that the best horizon overwater bungalow is # 24 and probably it's the best of the best among all overwater bungalows, and the first runner up are # 23 and # 25. I would avoid any horizon ones # 29- # 37 facing south (facing the shorter pontoon bungalows across the lagoon), because the view is not as good as those facing Sofitel Motu and the bungalows themselves block the sun on the decks after 1pm. For bungalows # 18- # 26, you will get the maximum sunshine hours on the deck.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:52 am

Oh...the black and white pic has all the bungalow numbers. Maybe it is too small to read. You can right click on the image and save it on your computer, then open the image file and enlarge it.

I personally think that the best horizon overwater bungalow is # 24 and probably it's the best of the best among all overwater bungalows, and the first runner up are # 23 and # 25. I would avoid any horizon ones # 29- # 37 facing south (facing the shorter pontoon bungalows across the lagoon), because the view is not as good as those facing Sofitel Motu and the bungalows themselves block the sun on the decks after 1pm. For bungalows # 18- # 26, you will get the maximum sunshine hours on the deck.
perfect thanks! I was looking at this on a mobile device yesterday, on the PC it is a bit more clear - still needed to download and enlarge but very helpful. Thanks again
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:42 pm

Any opinions on what is the best beach suites?

Originally Posted by mercruiser
The IC Tahiti is a wonderful property with a beautiful view of Moorea. I wouldn't be in a hurry to rush out on your second day. Have a leisurely morning and relax - you're on vacation.

If you go to Moorea first thing, your room will not be ready. I stay at the Hitlon, and every time the lobby is full of people who took the red-eye flight from LAX. They arrive on Moorea at 8:00 a.m. and sit in the lobby, looking tired, waiting until their room is ready in the afternoon. (I don't know why they don't change their clothes and spend the morning at the pool on those comfy loungers.)

I've done both. I slightly prefer the ferry. It's very nice to get out on the water after a long flight. The ferry cost a lot less than the flight (see exception below).

One time I took the flight from Moorea to Tahiti. I bought a "Bora Bora Pass" from Air Tahiti https://www.airtahiti.com/multiisland-fares because it only cost 10 euros more that a Tahiti-Bora round trip. So I was basically getting the Moorea-Tahiti flight for 10 euros. That flight is very short (15 minutes in the air). It is nice to see Moorea and Tahiti from an airplane.

Yes, I got a welcoming gift and a fruit plate and bottled water. Don't expect a room upgrade. I've never gotten one. Some others have. It's not a sure thing.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by delder
Any opinions on what is the best beach suites?
I never stayed at beach suite but seems # 57 to # 60 are the better ones because it's at the end of the beach, and less hotel guests walk past your bungalows and hang out there. Hotel guests who stay at the overwater bungalows # 71-# 78 at the shorter pontoon do not walk past the beach to get back to their overwater bungalow, they usually walk through the path behind the beach suites because if they walk past the beach, it will take some effort for them to climb up to the pontoon.

The beach suite # 61 is too close to the pontoon and # 62-# 63 do not exist anymore for some unknown reasons.

Also some hotel guests from overwater bungalows sometimes hang out on the beach near the pool, so the beach area in front of beach suite # 50-# 52 might be a bit busy.
Traveler Dave likes this.

Last edited by GordonGordon; Sep 28, 2017 at 9:57 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:05 am

Lightbulb

I never stayed at beach suite but seems # 57 to # 60 are the better ones because it's at the end of the beach, and less hotel guests walk past your bungalows and hang out there. Hotel guests who stay at the overwater bungalows # 71-# 78 at the shorter pontoon do not walk past the beach to get back to their overwater bungalow, they usually walk through the path behind the beach suites because if they walk past the beach, it will take some effort for them to climb up to the pontoon.

The beach suite # 61 is too close to the pontoon and # 62-# 63 do not exist anymore for some unknown reasons.

Also some hotel guests from overwater bungalows sometimes hang out on the beach near the pool, so the beach area in front of beach suite # 50-# 52 might be a bit busy.
I think my photo was taken from #58 or #59 . I was very happy with that location. I don't remember seeing anyone on the beach in front of our bungalow. We basically had the beach to ourselves. I agree that you don't want to be right next to the pontoon #61 .
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Is the 50% breakfast offer still around? If so, how much is it?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Is the 50% breakfast offer still around? If so, how much is it?
Yes, when we checked in we were asked if we wanted to take the offer but we had to have breakfast every morning. I don't remember exactly how much, I think it should be around XPF8000-9000 for 2 persons before 50% discount. I remember after discount, it's even a lot cheaper than a lot of 4-5* hotel breakfast in NYC. Breakast at 4-5* hotels in NYC easily costs you over US$30 after tax + 15% tips.

The night before check out, they delivered the preview bill to our bungalow, it still showed the full price before 50% discount. Had no problem to ask them to take off 50% when I checked out.

Had breakfast 5 days in a row, we didn't see any smoked salmon at all. Not a big deal, but thought it was standard in *4-5 star hotel.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:39 pm

Almost forget to mention.... The shuttles between Thalasso and Le Moana are all chargeable. For those of you who want to visit Thalasso without paying the boat shuttle, actually you can make an appointment at Le Moana concierge for using the gym at Thalasso, they will offer you 2 free shuttles, one leaves Le Moana at 7:45am and the other one leaves in the evening at 5 something pm, but you need to take the appointed shuttle back to Le Moana in order not to be charged, I was tempted to use the gym but finally gave up because I calculated the time I would have in Thalasso, and realized I had 45 only minutes! Besides, it will take you at least 5 mins to walk oneway between the jetty of Thalasso and the gym, so actually you will have only around 30 mins to exercise. I already stayed 3 times at Thalasso, so I didn't have the drive to go there to have a look. If you only want to go to Thalasso to take some photos, then I think it's a good idea to utilize the free service but you need to dress like you are going to do exercise lol.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
No gym at Moana??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.