FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Reward night reservation cancellation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/913518-reward-night-reservation-cancellation.html)

feelthecool Jan 23, 2009 12:21 am

Reward night reservation cancellation

If I cancel the stay do they deposit the points back into my account? Or are reward nights not eligible for point refunds?

Thanks! ^

P.S. Is this different for pointbreak reward nights?

drdanielmacdonald Jan 23, 2009 12:41 am

As soon as you cancel the points are refunded. logout and re-login to confirm.

Radioman Jan 23, 2009 3:01 am

Originally Posted by feelthecool (Post 11127020)
If I cancel the stay do they deposit the points back into my account? Or are reward nights not eligible for point refunds?

Thanks! ^

P.S. Is this different for pointbreak reward nights?

Hi feelthecool
With the pointsbreak your supposed to loose the points but I believe that everyone has had the points returned to their account.

Regards
J

szg Jan 23, 2009 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Radioman (Post 11127329)
Hi feelthecool
With the pointsbreak your supposed to loose the points but I believe that everyone has had the points returned to their account.

Regards
J

Yes, they all went back, when you cancel a Point break night. The policy is, that they will not refund the points for the first night (5k points).

Thumper Jan 23, 2009 6:02 am

As recently as two weeks ago I canceled some stays, some pointbreaks, some not, all points were returned in lessthan 24 hours.

feelthecool Jan 23, 2009 8:18 am

Thanks!

soitgoes Jan 23, 2009 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Radioman (Post 11127329)
Hi feelthecool

Originally Posted by szg (Post 11127393)
Yes, they all went back, when you cancel a Point break night. The policy is, that they will not refund the points for the first night (5k points).

There is no longer any special policy concerning non-refundability of pointbreak award nights. There used to be a policy that stated that you would lose the first night's points, but not only has no one reported that ever happening, it is no longer a stated term for PointBreaks.

The PointBreaks page used to say: "Priority Club PointBreaks are only available at select locations for a limited time. Cancellations of Priority Club PointBreaks reservations will forfeit points equal to the first night of the reservation."
http://web.archive.org/web/200703281...rateCode=IVANI

Now it just says, "Offer and participating hotels are subject to change at any time, valid for stays thru X, 2009. Reward night terms and conditions apply."

The Reward T&C state:
"Priority Club PointBreaks are a feature of Reward Nights. Point Breaks are Reward Nights priced at 5,000 points at selected hotels for a limited period of time, instead of the standard redemption rate. Priority Club PointBreaks Reward Nights are based on availability and PointBreaks locations may be added or deleted at any time."

Radioman Jan 23, 2009 10:50 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes (Post 11128640)
There is no longer any special policy concerning non-refundability of pointbreak award nights. apply."
"

Excellent find soitgoes....thanks for that ^

Kiwi Flyer Mar 17, 2009 12:31 am

I take it the processing fee is not applied in practice?

Originally Posted by Reward Nights T&Cs
11. Priority Club members who cancel their Reward Night reservation will have their points used for that reservation re-deposited into the member's Priority Club account, and may be subjected to a processing fee. ...

Me2Earth Mar 17, 2009 12:44 am

I cancelled 8 PBs (changed of plan) the last one moth and all the points came back as soon as I cancelled online or via PC service (as they cant be accessed online).

I used 6 PBs though the past one month :-)

soitgoes Mar 17, 2009 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 11425576)
I take it the processing fee is not applied in practice?

There's only a fee (equal to first night's paid price) if you cancel an award night after the cancellation deadline.

jtpc Jan 25, 2010 2:18 pm

Anyone had experience booking reward nights for the upcoming Olympics and canceling them?

Found a reward night for February and would like to book it but a couple things jumped out. Booking says that a deposit is required for the entire stay due at the time of booking, and the cancellation policy says canceling your reservation will result in forfeiture of your deposit (so basically a non-refundable booking.)

This is the wording that is on regular paid reservations and still shows up here on a reward night reservation, but do you think there would be a deposit to pay on a reward night? If I made the booking and then canceled it (dates might change) does forfeiting the deposit mean I don't get my points back? Just wondered what people thought.

soitgoes Jan 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Cancellation deadlines do apply to award nights. If you don't cancel by the deadline you will either lose your points and/or be charged a no-show fee.

jtpc Jan 25, 2010 3:05 pm

They don't give a deadline to cancel the reward night by (like 4pm on whatever date for example). The cancellation policy just says you forfeit your deposit if you cancel or fail to arrive. Just wondered what forfeiting your deposit meant when there was no money being used for the stay and you weren't paying a deposit when making the reservation. Are your points your deposit? It just sounds like wording from a paid reservation and I was wondering how it applied to a points booking.

soitgoes Jan 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jtpc (Post 13254428)
They don't give a deadline to cancel the reward night by (like 4pm on whatever date for example). The cancellation policy just says you forfeit your deposit if you cancel or fail to arrive. Just wondered what forfeiting your deposit meant when there was no money being used for the stay and you weren't paying a deposit when making the reservation. Are your points your deposit? It just sounds like wording from a paid reservation and I was wondering how it applied to a points booking.

The deposit thing is confusing (and it is coming from the paid nights' terms), but it is clear to me that the cancellation deadline has past--in which case you will lose something (whether points or money) if you cancel/no-show.