Reward night reservation cancellation

Old May 29, 2010, 9:28 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Anyone know / have experience of what happens if you cancel an award night that was booked with the recently introduced part points / part cash method.

I can see that everyone in this thread says that bookings made 100% with points get refunded if you cancel.

I'm looking to book some nights at Niagra Falls in August using part points / part cash but with the BA strike still unresolved there is a risk I may have to cancel.

It seems a part cash method is actually used to buy extra points for the booking. So if I cancel, does the cash taken get refunded back to my CC? - or all the points get re-dposited, including any extra ones purchased?
Old May 29, 2010, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOH
Anyone know / have experience of what happens if you cancel an award night that was booked with the recently introduced part points / part cash method.

I can see that everyone in this thread says that bookings made 100% with points get refunded if you cancel.

I'm looking to book some nights at Niagra Falls in August using part points / part cash but with the BA strike still unresolved there is a risk I may have to cancel.

It seems a part cash method is actually used to buy extra points for the booking. So if I cancel, does the cash taken get refunded back to my CC? - or all the points get re-dposited, including any extra ones purchased?
As per the terms you agree to when you book a Points & Cash reservation, the points you purchase are nonrefundable. Once the Points & Cash reservation is made it is just like any other reward reservation: you get the points back (including the 5K or 10K points/night you purchased).

This fact is an attraction to many.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...c.html#rewards
Originally Posted by PCR Terms
Priority Club Rewards "Points & Cash" is an option for obtaining a Reward Night. You may choose to redeem Priority Club points for a Reward Night in three ways: using your existing points for all required points for the desired Reward Night; using your existing points and 5,000 points purchased for US $30 to total the required points; or using your existing points and 10,000 points purchased for US $60 to total the required points. Points & Cash Reward Nights may only be redeemed online at www.priorityclub.com. Point purchase amounts are subject to change by PCR. You must use a valid credit card for points purchase. Upon completion of the points purchase, you agree that the total dollar amount will be immediately charged to the credit card you specified. The cost for the points purchased is non-refundable. If the Reward Night is cancelled in accordance with these Terms & Conditions and with each hotel's cancellation policy, the purchased Priority Club points will be re-deposited into your Priority Club Rewards account. Cash components of this award that are paid in currencies other than U.S. dollars will be adjusted by Priority Club Rewards, as needed, to reflect the USD equivalent of the non-USD payment at that time. All other Reward Night terms and conditions apply.
Old May 29, 2010, 9:43 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
As per the terms you agree to when you book a Points & Cash reservation, the points you purchase are nonrefundable. Once the Points & Cash reservation is made it is just like any other reward reservation: you get the points back (including the 5K or 10K points/night you purchased).

This fact is an attraction to many.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...c.html#rewards
Ah yes thankyou ^ Is this people's actual experience too - that the base points are re-deposited plus the extra purchased ones also finish up in their accounts? With no hassle or errors needing calls to PC to resolve?
Old May 29, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by BOH
Ah yes thankyou ^ Is this people's actual experience too - that the base points are re-deposited plus the extra purchased ones also finish up in their accounts? With no hassle or errors needing calls to PC to resolve?
No issues, no problems.

Making a cash-and-point reservation and cancelling immediately it is even a preferred (cheaper) method of buying points.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 4:28 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
There is no longer any special policy concerning non-refundability of pointbreak award nights. There used to be a policy that stated that you would lose the first night's points, but not only has no one reported that ever happening, it is no longer a stated term for PointBreaks.
I was going thru the T&C's as attached here http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/.../rewardtc.html

Cancellations in conjunction with PointBreaks reservations will forfeit points equal to the first night of the reservation. Priority Club members who cancel a PointBreaks reservation will have points equal to the first night of the reservation deducted from their Priority Club account.

Does it mean they again charge for PB reservation cancellations ??
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I was going thru the T&C's as attached here http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/.../rewardtc.html

Cancellations in conjunction with PointBreaks reservations will forfeit points equal to the first night of the reservation. Priority Club members who cancel a PointBreaks reservation will have points equal to the first night of the reservation deducted from their Priority Club account.

Does it mean they again charge for PB reservation cancellations ??
No, it means you stumbled upon an old set of terms from some page. The full and up-to-date terms are always found at http://www.priorityclub.com/terms
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
No, it means you stumbled upon an old set of terms from some page. The full and up-to-date terms are always found at http://www.priorityclub.com/terms
nope.. I logged in today to the site and this is from the website as on date...Anyway, glad that there is no cancellation chrg even for PB's..
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:41 am

Bumped to clarify my situation.

In my haste, I made a reservation for a Fri-Sat night stay on points when I needed a Th-Fri stay. The points were deducted from my account immediately. Once I realized my mistake, I called but the hotel is booked on Thursday night. I couldn't even change the reservation for just Friday night because the hotel has a 2 night minimum for reward stays (at least when I'm going to be there because the whole city is booked).

My reservation has the following verbiage:

Deposit and Cancellation Policy - Reward Nights
Deposit Policy:A deposit for the entire stay is due at time of booking.
Cancellation Policy:Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.

I understand that there are penalties associated with canceling some types of reservations. I have read the cancellation policy and agree to the terms.

Will I loose all of my points when I cancel the reservation? I know I've cancelled reward nights before and had the points redeposited but I don't recall what the terms and conditions were....
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by jmsfla2002
Bumped to clarify my situation.

In my haste, I made a reservation for a Fri-Sat night stay on points when I needed a Th-Fri stay. The points were deducted from my account immediately. Once I realized my mistake, I called but the hotel is booked on Thursday night. I couldn't even change the reservation for just Friday night because the hotel has a 2 night minimum for reward stays (at least when I'm going to be there because the whole city is booked).

My reservation has the following verbiage:

Deposit and Cancellation Policy - Reward Nights
Deposit Policy:A deposit for the entire stay is due at time of booking.
Cancellation Policy:Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.

I understand that there are penalties associated with canceling some types of reservations. I have read the cancellation policy and agree to the terms.

Will I loose all of my points when I cancel the reservation? I know I've cancelled reward nights before and had the points redeposited but I don't recall what the terms and conditions were....
Please do provide detail such as exact date, city, hotel, points paid, etc; as the terms and conditions listed above are not the typical terms and conditions.

Based on the statement regarding lack of availability for the entire city I would be inclined to arrive Thursday and plead ignorance as to the incorrect dates and sleep in the lobby until the staff find you a cot for Thursday night. No need to sleep at the hotel Saturday night to avoid the early departure fees by checking out in the early afternoon on Friday.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Aug 7, 2011 at 1:03 pm
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:59 pm

I just made a rewards reservation for Sep and here is the cancellation policy:

Canceling your reservation before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on XXXDATE will result in no charge. Canceling your reservation after 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on XXXDATE or failing to show, will result in a charge equal to the first night's stay per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Please do provide detail such as exact date, city, hotel, points paid, etc; as the terms and conditions listed above are not the typical terms and conditions.

Based on the statement regarding lack of availability for the entire city I would be inclined to arrive Thursday and plead ignorance as to the incorrect dates and sleep in the lobby until the staff find you a cot for Thursday night. No need to sleep at the hotel Saturday night to avoid the early departure fees by checking out in the early afternoon on Friday.
The reservation is for Nov. 11 & 12 at the Holiday Inn Philadelphia Historic District at 25K points/each night. 25K/night is the normal rate but the cancellation policy is different from the t&c on another night I randomly searched (t&cs for the random night I selected read like the t&c's on vrbaba's reservation).

I don't think I can plead ignorance as I already called the 1-800 number and tried to get the reservation changed.

From an economic standpoint, they should let me out of this reservation, either both nights or on Nov. 12, as rooms in Philly are going for $300+ those nights and the hotel is now completely booked all week. Will calling the 1-800 number and arguing this help? I use to have status but I no longer do.

Last edited by jmsfla2002; Aug 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by jmsfla2002
Will calling the 1-800 number and arguing this help? .
The hotel would have a vested interest in the room so better to call the hotel directly and discuss options. Cancellations and no shows for award nights appear to be associated with excessive penalty so best to work out the issue in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
The hotel would have a vested interest in the room so better to call the hotel directly and discuss options. Cancellations and no shows for award nights appear to be associated with excessive penalty so best to work out the issue in advance.
For any issues with last minute cancellations (awards or $$), I always call the hotel and ask nicely. You never know who you might get. Be nice, it helps them be in a nicer mood too.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
This question isn't about a reward night reservation cancellation, but it's fairly related and I didn't know where to put this:

I'm looking at booking some reward nights at an IC (not PB), but I don't know if I'll be able to go. If I book it on my own, then find out that I can't go, is it possible for me to change the name on the reservation (or add someone and have them show up only) without cancelling the reservation?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gmax58
This question isn't about a reward night reservation cancellation, but it's fairly related and I didn't know where to put this:

I'm looking at booking some reward nights at an IC (not PB), but I don't know if I'll be able to go. If I book it on my own, then find out that I can't go, is it possible for me to change the name on the reservation (or add someone and have them show up only) without cancelling the reservation?
Adding people's name on the reservation is really easy, that's the route I'd go. Plus, guest would then get your status benefits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.