Intercontinental London Club Lounge - is it worth it?

Old Jan 21, 09, 5:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue/IC Royal Ambassador/LeadinghotelsRegular
Intercontinental London Club Lounge - is it worth it?

At around 80 per night this is quite a hit but i was hoping that by sharing my experiences this might help people make the decision:

I am a RA and the lounge is NOT officially included. We were asked for our room number a number of times so if you try and sneak in you could look quite foolish!! We paid and thought it was worth it because:
Views: Huge area, maybe 5x the size of the hyatt churchill lounge and similar to the hilton park lane lounge. On the top floor overlooking hyde park, the views are fabulous.
Food offering: Full breakfast with whatever you want.
cookies crisps nuts and drinks (alcohol and non alcohol ) throughout day
sandwiches and scones muffins etc at around 3.
6-8pm really nice chicken fish red meat dishes, plus lovely puddings.
champaign and cocktails 6-8 but if you want to continue to drink to 9-10 just load them up on your table!
Free Wi fi
So if you use the lounge, you dont need to go to restaurants to eat or bars to drink, its all there in a gorgeous environment. I think its worth the 80 per room if there are 2 of you. Not so sure for 1, but so far this lounge is head and shoulders above any other lounge in LOndon.

FYI this time we stayed we got upgraded to a junior suite as a RA which is the nicest room we have ever had! SUPERB. We will be back

Oh and we think the lounge is far superior to the paris ic!
Old Jan 21, 09, 7:59 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
I'll second dreamytraveler's opinion. The 80 quid is definitely worth it for two, if you make good use of the lounge. Mrs. Andyandy and I stayed on a rate that included access, but I would gladly pay for it next time. One thing not mentioned is the vast array of teas available all day. The views are lovely, and make it a lovely spot for afternoon tea.

Edit to add question:
Originally Posted by dreamytraveller View Post
cookies crisps nuts and drinks (alcohol and non alcohol ) throughout day
I didn't see alcohol on offer during the day, only during the 6-8 period. dreamytraveller, did the lounge have it out during your stay, or did you have to ask for it?

Last edited by andyandy; Jan 21, 09 at 8:04 am Reason: added question
Old Jan 21, 09, 8:12 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, QR, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I had a weekend stay there early january and on some rooms a 50GBP higher rate was available including club on the interconti website. It's easily worth those 50 pounds if you are traveling with you partner and not only have your breakfast in the lounge.
Old Jan 21, 09, 3:49 pm

When we stopped there in Aug as a RA we were offered Lounge Access for 1/2 price (40 +VAT).
As there were 2 of us this worked out at reasonable value.
If you have breakfast included in the rate it's questionable whether even at 40 it works out good value.
The breakfast is good in the Lounge / The views are good too / I wasn't overly impressed with the food during the day - All we really saw was cakes / nuts & crisps.
The Staff were certainly very attentive & Mrs. SamsoniteBoy liked the Tea Selection.
Remember it's London so everything's pretty expensive - We didn't notice any more cost effectice alternatives anywhere near the Hotel.
The set menu in Theo Randalls is fanatstic value though.
Old Jan 21, 09, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
The club is excellent. As an regular RA guest, I have always been given access when I am upgraded to an Executive and higher room category. The hotel has a new General Manager and he is really trying to improve service and get repeat business.

For what it is worth as well, the hotel is offering very low rates right now, which make it more attractive than the Hyatt. I am staying there again in early February on an Advance purchase rate of BP 119 + VAT.
Old Jan 23, 09, 4:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Alcohol

There is a selection of booze in the end (RHS) fridge throughout the day, but its abit wierd, dark ales and cider. More standard beers and champers etc are available only 6-8pm but we loaded up with extra few beers on the table just before 8 and that took us through (-: If we had been desperate we could have tried the ale, but it looked pretty dark and im not a fan of heavy ales. The cider was "new forest cider".
Old Jan 23, 09, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by dreamytraveller View Post
There is a selection of booze in the end (RHS) fridge throughout the day, but its a bit weird, dark ales and cider. More standard beers and champers etc are available only 6-8pm but we loaded up with extra few beers on the table just before 8 and that took us through (-: If we had been desperate we could have tried the ale, but it looked pretty dark and im not a fan of heavy ales. The cider was "new forest cider".
Sorry if this question appears a bit stupid but was the fridge with the alcohol unlocked (outside 6-8pm) - Or did you have to ask for it to be opened?

I'm pretty sure it was locked when I was there.

I'm sure even if it was locked they would open it on request - although I'm not certain how much I'd ever want to sample the somewhat strange selection in the fridge (especially with the RA minibar privileges available in my room)
Old Jan 24, 09, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Originally Posted by SamsoniteBoy View Post
Sorry if this question appears a bit stupid but was the fridge with the alcohol unlocked (outside 6-8pm) - Or did you have to ask for it to be opened?

I'm pretty sure it was locked when I was there.

I'm sure even if it was locked they would open it on request - although I'm not certain how much I'd ever want to sample the somewhat strange selection in the fridge (especially with the RA minibar privileges available in my room)
They will give you whatever you want at anytime of the day, even champ, wine and the regular beer. For what it is worth the club for paying guests is 80 pounds plus VAT. I suspect smart guests do not pay this high fee and enjoy drinks at a local pub or the lobby bar where they can drink cheaper than 80+vat. The lounge is generally empty at this hotel, again probably b/c the fee is too high.
Old Jan 24, 09, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Great Thread ^

I have a stay here for 3 nights in March in a 1BR suite. How is the selection of foods during the day and do they have any options for desert prior to the lounge closing? I love to stock up on those for my mid night snack.

Also-Is the lounge accessible 24/7?
Old Jan 25, 09, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
Great Thread ^

I have a stay here for 3 nights in March in a 1BR suite. How is the selection of foods during the day and do they have any options for desert prior to the lounge closing? I love to stock up on those for my mid night snack.

Also-Is the lounge accessible 24/7?
I'm pretty certain that the Lounge shuts a either 10.00pm (or maybe 11.00pm) but it definitely isn't open 24/7.

I was a little underwhelmed with the food selection (maybe because I had recently spend a week in the IC Paris Lounge) after the excellent breakfast.
I though the nuts & snacks were OK / They seemed to bring out some nice looking deserts & I did notice a small selection of sandwiches but generally I thought that throughout the day the selection was a little uninspiring.
The Staff seemed very attentive & I'm sure if you wanted anything they would assist. Maybe my expectations were too high after all they did want 80 +Vat per day for the Lounge Access.
Old Jan 27, 09, 1:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

there is a selection of deserts out with the main "Meal" between 6 and 9pm. they warn you they are taking everything away after that. I think there may be biscuits later or buts but thats it. The deserts are very nice though. We preferred the food here to the paris ic by along way... but then for 80 you would expect better it to be better than paris! enjoy, we think its the best lounge (although not everyone agrees!)
Old Jan 27, 09, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
This lounge excels at breakfast and cocktail hour. Between those times the offerings are not very impressive. The view is always good, but it isn't a Hong Kong club lounge view. Worth 80 quid? I'd think not. You can get a nice breakfast and a cocktail for that, easily.
Old Jan 28, 09, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by magiciansampras View Post
This lounge excels at breakfast and cocktail hour. Between those times the offerings are not very impressive. The view is always good, but it isn't a Hong Kong club lounge view. Worth 80 quid? I'd think not. You can get a nice breakfast and a cocktail for that, easily.
Would agree - although the selection of teas for afternoon tea is quite amazing - but no champagne then!

And if it's not a business expense then add VAT to the 80 (92).
Old Jan 28, 09, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Does any one have any other experences with asking for a Beer before the happy hour period?
Old Jan 29, 09, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
Does any one have any other experences with asking for a Beer before the happy hour period?
There was some beer/cider(?) in the fridge before happy hour (but independent brews opposed to Bud etc)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: