Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Mauritius Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 9:16 am

Upgrade to Ambassador

I saw that it's been asked a couple of times in this thread but never answered. I'm also considering paying to upgrade to ambassador for my stay here but does anyone know the benefits of being ambassador vs just PC platinum at this hotel?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:25 am

Just back from a week at this hotel. As RA I was upgraded from basic room to one of the ocean view presidential suites and the 2nd person fee was waived. Over all good RA recognition and treatment (upgrade as previously mention and also other extras like glass of sparkling wine with dinner, foot bath before massage at the spa) but the hotel is a bit tired. Food was generally disappointing with the exception of the Indian restaurant. Lots of tour groups and most guests seem to be on all inclusive which might be a factor. Overall we were happy but probably would not have been if it was not for the great RA treatment.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by Banie
Just back from a week at this hotel. As RA I was upgraded from basic room to one of the ocean view presidential suites and the 2nd person fee was waived. Over all good RA recognition and treatment (upgrade as previously mention and also other extras like glass of sparkling wine with dinner, foot bath before massage at the spa) but the hotel is a bit tired. Food was generally disappointing with the exception of the Indian restaurant. Lots of tour groups and most guests seem to be on all inclusive which might be a factor. Overall we were happy but probably would not have been if it was not for the great RA treatment.
totally agree food is bad, Apart from the lovely indian restaurant.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mitpat474
totally agree food is bad, Apart from the lovely indian restaurant.
There is the Westin restaurant options next door though and the Oberoi close by, as well as a decent selection of restaurants in Grande Baie not that far away.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:29 am

Thumbs down I am currently at the ...

IC Mauritius and very disappointed.

1) It took full 2 hours to get checked-in and the 2.00 p.m. check-in time is a promise not kept at all.

2) The service is not up to IC standard ... To start with ... The water needs a very, very long time to get warm (and it does not reach the category hot). The batteries for my TV were useless and there was nothing in the minibar upon arrival. But at 145 Rupees for one Coke (0,33 ml) which is about 4 Euro is I am also not tempted. In the restaurants the staff is not attentative and it is obviously sold by tour operators as an All-Inclusive-Resort because the staff at the SENSO could not even tell me how much the buffet cost. And when they told me it turned out to be even the wrong price. For 1.600 Rupees (around 45 Euro) completely overpriced. And when a hotel is in the grip of Indian cooks you can bet you only get Indian food when it comes to the main courses. A la carte (which I'd prefer) was not even a choice and with all other restaurants requiring a pre-booking I had also no choice.

3) The management invited me as a Spire Ambassador to their weekly cocktail tonigt and mentioned in the letter (not signed by anyone !!!) it will be at the Fountain (if the weather permits it). Well with no rain anywhere close I arrived at the venue but the cocktail was obviously diverted somewhere else (without informing me). I guess it was in the lobby as it was filled with lots of people but unfortunately also very loud music. Being a lone traveller the management was obviously not interested to let me know ... Too much hassle I guess to inform one Spire Ambassador ...

4) Room upgrade ... Yes, they offered me one but then I was taken to a room that had just been freshly painted and I simply could not stay in a room smelling the chemicals being set free from the process ...

All in all, I am truly, truly disappointed with the management and service. It is one of the worst ICs I have ever stayed at and the views as beautiful and stunning as they are do not make up for it .... I enjoyed direct views on oceans for almost 12 years in various countries. It is the service which makes a hotel 5 star. I will not return to this hotel even if they offered me free nights. Life is too short to waste it this way ... I am looking forward to my business class flight back to Dubai where I know the IC Festival City will live up to the standards of a five-star-hotel ...
Old May 12, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: Qatar Plat, EK Gold
this is a 3rd rate IC property that smells of sewage after a rain

the management is incredibly poor, the food offering is a bad joke at breakfast

so many negative aspects to our stay, difficult to recognize the small positives

would never stay here again, it is dated and poorly maintained
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:31 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I am afraid I must concur with most of the above statements, after a stay with several of my colleagues for a conference at the IC Balaclava.

Let's start with the positives:

- good recognition by the various guest relations managers of IHG and Ambassador memberships
- 2 pleasant swimming pools and a nice beach
- warm attitude by the staff members
- good breakfast at the Segalla restaurant, in a quiet and relaxed atmosphere by the beach
- good dinner at the Chinese restaurant Noble House
- a decent Armagnac at the beach bar
- Ambassador late 4PM checkout
- Ambassador welcome: fresh fruit, chocolate cake, rum

Now, for the rest:
- my colleagues and I were sorely disappointed with the Veda restaurant, which was supposed to be the best of the IC's restaurants: the food was adequate, but nothing special
- we had to explain at all restaurants and bars that we were not on the all-inclusive fares and that we could choose from the (barely) more upscale offering
- service with a smile, even though what is promised is not delivered (milk with the coffee ...), denying that there is white wine by the glass even when we show the menu with the list of white wines by the glass ... and so forth ...
- quaint (read 1960's era) and overly expensive hairdresser's salon
- no Ambassador room upgrade
- unpleasant attitude from a cashier willing to exchange currency, but brusquely brushing off a request to change a 1,000 MUR note into smaller notes

For the last two days of the stay, I discovered that I could walk on the beach to the Westin (where our UNESCO colleagues were hosted) and enjoy the restaurants there. The restaurant on the beach had fine food, far and above the equivalent at the IC, and yet similarly prized. We had a very pleasant evening at the Indian restaurant at the Westin, what we had actually expected from the Veda at the IC. Service was, of course, impeccable. The wine list was more extensive, started at a lower price point, and for the same quality of South African wines, was slightly cheaper than at the IC. The rooms, at the time, were slightly more expensive than at the IC, though.

We finished our visit to Mauritius, with two nights at the Holiday Inn Montresor by the airport, a very modern facility. I was shocked, after the IC, that our requests were actually followed by results and that the staff was anticipating our wishes. The last afternoon was spent at the beach house on Blue Bay operated by the hotel. Nothing fancy, but a very nice swim and relaxing afternoon.

My stay at the IC reminded me of a stay at the (former) IC in Sharm El Sheikh: poor food and service, and a walk along the beach to the Hyatt for good food. More smiles in Mauritius, though ^

I will definitely return to Mauritius, and the Holiday Inn by the airport, but not to the IC.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jun 10, 2020 at 6:49 am
Old May 21, 2018, 11:59 am

Anyone have any more recent experiences at IC Mauritius? Have things changed from the fairly poor reports from 2016/2017? Need to book a week and getting a little nervous at the overall data stream. Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Atacama40
Anyone have any more recent experiences at IC Mauritius? Have things changed from the fairly poor reports from 2016/2017? Need to book a week and getting a little nervous at the overall data stream. Thanks
Yeah, I was wondering the same. This is obviously a good value property, especially if you have the new USA IHG credit card: four nights for 90,000 points. I understand that lots of water sports are free at the hotel, which is an unusual perk for a chain resort hotel (but apparently common in Mauritius). It seems like most people like the location and facilities at the hotel, but service and food are hit or miss. I honestly don't care too much about the food, because I rarely eat at resort hotels (the value equation is usually poor). In fact, if anyone can recommend nearby restaurants and activities, that would be very useful. Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, I was wondering the same. This is obviously a good value property, especially if you have the new USA IHG credit card: four nights for 90,000 points. I understand that lots of water sports are free at the hotel, which is an unusual perk for a chain resort hotel (but apparently common in Mauritius). It seems like most people like the location and facilities at the hotel, but service and food are hit or miss. I honestly don't care too much about the food, because I rarely eat at resort hotels (the value equation is usually poor). In fact, if anyone can recommend nearby restaurants and activities, that would be very useful. Thanks.
Haven't been there for a while, but I can tell you that there is nothing close by as far as restaurants are concerned. Needed to rent a car to drive downtown for grocery shopping and closest restaurant was a good 15 minute trip by car. We just loaded up at breakfast which was included in our rate. The previous manager at the property has been transferred to the Hua Hin IC and hopefully does a better job there.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Haven't been there for a while, but I can tell you that there is nothing close by as far as restaurants are concerned. Needed to rent a car to drive downtown for grocery shopping and closest restaurant was a good 15 minute trip by car. We just loaded up at breakfast which was included in our rate. The previous manager at the property has been transferred to the Hua Hin IC and hopefully does a better job there.
That is not true.

The Indian restaurant at the Westin next door is great as are 2 of the restaurants and they are right next door. We stayed there at the end of last year (rejected the IC on the basis of reviews).

if you mean out of hotel you have more of a point but there is a big mall just beyond troux aux biches which has a good range of dining options (mostly chain to be fair but nandos etc. was pretty good for the price).

If almost always makes sense to hire a car in MRU anyway because all the resorts are miles away and just getting to and from the hotels can justify the hire car cost. It is hugely useful though whilst there.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

That is not true.

The Indian restaurant at the Westin next door is great as are 2 of the restaurants and they are right next door. We stayed there at the end of last year (rejected the IC on the basis of reviews).

if you mean out of hotel you have more of a point but there is a big mall just beyond troux aux biches which has a good range of dining options (mostly chain to be fair but nandos etc. was pretty good for the price).

If almost always makes sense to hire a car in MRU anyway because all the resorts are miles away and just getting to and from the hotels can justify the hire car cost. It is hugely useful though whilst there.
I agree about the car. It's a shame that driving on Mauritius is fairly unpleasant (too much traffic, not great roads), but not horrible either.

I think the Intercontinental can be a great hotel if you do it right. You do have to be into watersports. They are free.

They will upgrade folks with status to very nice rooms, including their "presidential suites."

Food at the hotel is a bit hit or miss. I liked the Noble House. If you stay on points, though, half-board adds about $150/night per couple. Not really worth that, but if you want to eat at the hotel, there's no other option (the menu prices are crazy high). You can go on-board for a couple of nights and go to nearby restaurants for other nights. At 30,000 points per night, it's worth considering.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:37 am

Any recent experiences there? Thinking of staying there for a few nights as RA.Opinions?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Any recent experiences there? Thinking of staying there for a few nights as RA.Opinions?
Very strong management team at the hotel. Let them know you're thinking of coming, and see what they'll do for you. The Presidential Suites (there are more than a dozen of them) are quite nice, and it's a very good hotel if you're into water sports. Food is good but very overpriced, and you have to drive 15 minutes to get to "real" restaurants. Mauritius itself is OK. For an American, it's kind of a dumb destination. I only went because I had to be in South Africa at the time (it's a logical beach destination from JNB).
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Very strong management team at the hotel. Let them know you're thinking of coming, and see what they'll do for you. The Presidential Suites (there are more than a dozen of them) are quite nice, and it's a very good hotel if you're into water sports. Food is good but very overpriced, and you have to drive 15 minutes to get to "real" restaurants. Mauritius itself is OK. For an American, it's kind of a dumb destination. I only went because I had to be in South Africa at the time (it's a logical beach destination from JNB).
I thought I read that there are two restaurants next door in another hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.