Kimpton Vero Beach Hotel

Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Starwood Gold
Kimpton Vero Beach Hotel

Looks like a good deal at this Kimpton Hotel. Has anyone stayed here?

http://www.verobeachhotelandspa.com/default.asp

Use discount code "GOP"

Last edited by MileageAddict; Dec 7, 2008 at 12:24 pm
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:27 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Haven't been in it but I watched them build it late last year and early this year (while I was doing some flight work at VRB) It is a nice location, though Indian River County is not exactly a "happening" area. One would go there to "escape" or take the kids, not for the nightlife of say West Palm.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:20 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Couldn’t find a master review thread on this hotel. Thinking about staying in February. Any recent trip reports?
hockeystl likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by ymx
Couldn’t find a master review thread on this hotel. Thinking about staying in February. Any recent trip reports?
Also hoping for some input from any FT members who are also IHG Elites. Curious about their experience and what, if any, additional benefits were offered. Also curious what the Kimpton Secret Password amenity that is offered by this location.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:55 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Also hoping for some input from any FT members who are also IHG Elites. Curious about their experience and what, if any, additional benefits were offered. Also curious what the Kimpton Secret Password amenity that is offered by this location.
Originally Posted by ymx
I actually booked and cancelled twice here although the reviews seem outstanding. The first time I cancelled there was red tide situation (a couple years back). The second time I cancelled it was a bit cold in February. Each time I booked the Kimpton Seafire in the Cayman Islands instead — and had wonderful stays both times! The Seafire is a absolute gem with an amazing beach and staff.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Wanted to follow up on my post. Completed a stay a couple weeks ago with my girlfriend and had a real nice stay.

Flew into MLB on AA using miles and what a great airport! First time through and it was a wonderful change from the madhouse that is MCO. Rented a car from Dollar and it was nice to take a two minute walk into the parking lot to get the car. Great time savings from MCO.

This was a stay booked with IHG free night certs from our Chase credit cards and we are both obviously IHG Plat members. The resort fee of $35 + tax ($37.45 total) per night was NOT waived though it did cover the valet parking charge so it didn't feel like a complete ripoff. We also received a $10 Raid the Minibar voucher and an upgrade to an oceanview room. We also received a $15 credit for declining housekeeping. I provided the Kimpton Secret Password and a nice board of snacks was delivered to the room the following day...this included a tasty fresh hummus, pita bread, olives, roasted peppers and grilled veggies.

The room was well maintained, spacious and neatly appointed. Watch your shins around the bed frame - we both banged ours until we learned that painful lesson! High quality Atelier & Bloem bath products were provided. The staff was pleasant and responsive to requests for extra towels, coffee (Keurig machines in the guest room) and more toiletires. Daily coffee service was available from 6:30a each morning in the lobby. Hot water and tea bags were also available.

We ate one meal on property at Cobalt and it was the most disappointing meal we had while in town. Service, while friendly, lacked refinement and ground to a halt once our server had more than two tables. The food itself was underwhelming in both taste and quality. The number of selections on the menu was also quite limited. Even when factoring in 20% off (I had a $40 off $200 AmEx offer for Kimpton...total bill at end of stay was $200.27 haha), I would NOT recommend.

We did discover two VERY memorable dining spots. Ocean Grill (a quick three minute walk from the hotel) was OUTSTANDING with a very unique dining room, absolutely amazing service and some of the best fish I've had in a while. The pompano in apricot butter is a must-order. The other hidden gem of a restaurant was Baci Trattoria (you'll need a car or take an Uber...it's about a 10 minute drive from Kimpton) where we had breakfast twice. The meatball omelet with sunday gravy was one of the best breakfast dishes I've had in a long, long time and the patio is a great spot to sit and relax. Whew...my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Had a breakfast at Kountry Kitchen which had a traditional southern diner type of feel. Traditional American comfort food breakfast at very reasonable prices. The biscuits and gravy were fantastic. Another off property spot we tried was Taco Dive - eh...overpriced, underportioned and a hard pass if we return to the area.

We really liked the area as it was quiet and low key. Seems like a great spot to use the annual IHG free night certs here in the US and an excellent comp value given the $250ish/night room rates. Good chance we will make a return visit in the future.
Graf von B likes this.

Last edited by hockeystl; Nov 29, 2020 at 10:35 am
Old May 14, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Disappointing 4 night stay on points, 3rd week in April, midweek. I'd been watching this Kimpton for quite awhile, good reviews, nice beach location. For weeks prior to my dates the points would fluctuate from 60K to 110K, and starting rates were always in the $600-$1,000+ range. Finally in the end it came down to 60K points for the 4 nights at a paid rate starting at $850. The points availability and rate would literally change several times a day. Ridiculous.

So room received when booking points was standard King, no windows. Wrote about a week prior and asked about an upgrade (I'm Spire Ambassador). Was offered a king with a "terrace view" for +$25/night. Or ADA room with ocean view for +$100/night. I like Kimptons, have always had good experiences, and the brand is the reason I maintain Ambassador/Spire each year. Kimpton has always been good about upgrading no charge for me, although I usually try to include a paid night with points nights. No way I was going to pay Vero Beach $850 for a small, inside closet room. I went with the $25/nt upgrade. The hotel was about 25-35% full I'd estimate.

The room was nice. Hotel itself is okay but I feel the online pictures of the outside are very well "done" thus my disappoint upon arrival. Our room, 2nd floor, had a view of the pool and and a view straight into the bar/Heatons restaurant. Look to the left from the balcony and yes you could see the ocean. It also had a view of the parking lot of the property next door. Even the ocean facing rooms are right over the other restaurant, Cobalt, so from your balcony you'll see and hear patrons there. Ground floor rooms would have a steady flow of people passing by. There's a blockade around the pool by the beach, waist high, solid. So you do not see the beach/ocean while basking by the pool as the online photos would lead you to believe.

Restaurant, Cobalt, was awful--dinner once and never again. For breakfast you order at the bar from a very reduced menu. They handed us a number to put on the table in the dining room. Then to our surprise server brought breakfast in a paper bag, cardboard to-go boxes. How could you botch toast & a scrambled egg? They did. Yes it was during COVID but they managed to serve dinner on plates and cocktails in the restaurant. When at a resort we look forward to being able to enjoy breakfast on site; not here. We got ourselves ready, had the valet bring the car and drove off to local restaurants (Lemon Tree was good for breakfast). Kimpton evening wine hour was hidden in a cubby by the front desk (very hidden and not publicized). They ran out of paper carriers for the morning coffee. At an $850/night hotel? I got one $10 drink coupon for the 4 nights. No water in the room; when I asked he said they ran out except for the bigger bottles which normally are at a charge (he did hand me one, complimentary). No $15/night credit for opting out of housekeeping (now that I read the post above which reminded me of the offer).

I would never book with points if it meant staying in one of those inside rooms. I can only guess the good reviews come from people paying in the $250 range--for that price it's fine. At checkout, when asked about my stay, I mentioned the bad restaurant experiences; they did credit the two meals. Another positive they did have a nice cheese & fruit platter in the room with a bottle of white wine coincidently from a winery about 30 minutes from my home (in California). Otherwise, it didn't feel like a Kimpton. I kept flashing back to our stay at Kimpton Seafire a few years ago--it's nothing like that. Not even as good as Kimpton Huntington Beach IMO. The city of Vero Beach is a nice, clean, safe which has good dining options as well.

Now I'm trying to burn all my IHG points so no more Ambassador/Spire for me when it expires 12/2022. By June I will have stayed over 100 nights this year with Hyatt (that many nights is an anomaly for me) and am thoroughly enjoying Hyatt Globalist status!
Old Jun 12, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Stayed at Kimpton Vero Beach last weekend for two nights as a Spire Ambassador using my bogo Ambassador rate. We booked a King Studio Lanai and were proactively upgraded to a two bedroom lanai suite, which was fantastic. Sunken living room with a sofa, coffee table, chairs, TV, and a wetbar, including a self-service wine dispenser ($12-$13 per glass). Lanai opened up steps away from the pool, which was incredibly convenient. First bedroom was two queens and had sliding plantation shutters that separates it from the sunken living room. Rear bedroom had a king bed. Bathroom was large with a tub and shower and dual sinks. Only one bathroom though for this two-bedroom suite. All in all a fantastic upgrade.

Check-in and front desk in general were lovely. The secret password entitled us to a spin on their prize wheel, where we won free continental breakfast for two, each morning -- solid benefit for the password.

All of our encounters with the staff were fantastic. Extremely friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the Happy Hours greatly. Pool is not huge, but adequate. Heaton's Bar was great. Cobalt restaurant was nice for al fresco breakfast. Beach was quite nice. Most of our group stayed at the Holiday Inn, two doors down, but we were so happy we opted for the Kimpton Vero Beach.

I can't say enough good about this hotel. A pricey option, but it still really exceeded my expectations, which were pretty high. We stay at the Seafire GCM frequently. While the hardware here isn't to the level of Seafire (no Kimpton is), the friendly and helpful staff that we've grown accustomed to at Kimptons really shined at this place. Highly recommend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.