FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IHG properties in Vancouver (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/893828-ihg-properties-vancouver.html)

Banie Nov 29, 2008 1:21 pm

IHG properties in Vancouver

Which IHG property in Vancouver is best for first time visitors?

ride red Nov 29, 2008 3:38 pm

This one has the best location.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...ilsearch&ias=y

calgary_jay Nov 30, 2008 6:30 am

Originally Posted by ride red (Post 10830638)

I stay there often - staff is good, rooms are good and the prices are usually very good considering the location.

demiurg Nov 30, 2008 7:23 am

Originally Posted by calgary_jay (Post 10832459)
rooms are good

I gave the hotel a try last year and thought the hotel is in real need for a renovation - basically your average old stuffy and somewhat rundown Holiday Inn. Has the hotel been renovated since then? The room images look similar to what I had, just with much more powerful lighting in the room so that it looks nicer...

Since the CP Georgia closed and after trying the HI, I have given up on IHG in Vancouver and stay in other hotels when I am there. It would be great to have an IC or CP in Vancouver!

calgary_jay Nov 30, 2008 8:54 am

Originally Posted by demiurg (Post 10832597)
I gave the hotel a try last year and thought the hotel is in real need for a renovation - basically your average old stuffy and somewhat rundown Holiday Inn. Has the hotel been renovated since then? The room images look similar to what I had, just with much more powerful lighting in the room so that it looks nicer...

Since the CP Georgia closed and after trying the HI, I have given up on IHG in Vancouver and stay in other hotels when I am there. It would be great to have an IC or CP in Vancouver!

good for the price. Can usually find rooms at or just under $100/night And usually get a suite in the far tower at check-in, which is fine for me. A little dated, yes but the rooms aren't terrible and the location is very good.

No renovations but they did slap a new logo on the outside.

mister__big Nov 26, 2009 7:14 am

Does anyone have any recent stays at the HIs in Vancouver? I'll be there in December and am trying to decide if I should stay at a HI or at the Fairmont Vancouver.

Flyersj18 Nov 27, 2009 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mister__big (Post 12883275)
Does anyone have any recent stays at the HIs in Vancouver? I'll be there in December and am trying to decide if I should stay at a HI or at the Fairmont Vancouver.

Depends on price... The Holiday Inn on Howe Street is okay, nothing special though. If price isn't a consideration then go for the Fairmont every time.

Not sure what your location needs are but I prefer the Fairmont Waterfront better to be honest and the Westin Bayshore is also superb... Feel free to PM me if you need more detailed advice.

Regards,

J

almostelite Dec 3, 2009 10:42 am

agreed with above posters; HI on Howe is little better than marginal. I'm sure there would be no problem getting award nights if that is of interest. There are lots of great hotels in downtown Vancouver: two great Westins, a wonderful Pan Pacific and of course the Fairmont properites.

There are also many great independent hotels including the Rosedale on Robson, Opus, Century Plaza and more

Mr. LAU Dec 4, 2009 7:05 am

Did anybody recently stay at the HI North Vancouver? Booked it on pointbreaks a few weeks ago - but could not find any reviews of it.
I hope for a good base to explore Vancouver & surrounding areas.

NickB Mar 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Comments here as elsewhere give the edge to the HI Downtown vs the HI Broadway, especially in terms of location. However, on my dates the Broadway property is at CAD65 whereas the Downtown one is at CAD110. At that price differential, it seems to me that the Broadway property is worth the one/two stop journey on the Canada line compared to the Downtown property or is there really a substantial difference between the two properties beyond location?

cdegt Mar 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 16019472)
Comments here as elsewhere give the edge to the HI Downtown vs the HI Broadway, especially in terms of location. However, on my dates the Broadway property is at CAD65 whereas the Downtown one is at CAD110. At that price differential, it seems to me that the Broadway property is worth the one/two stop journey on the Canada line compared to the Downtown property or is there really a substantial difference between the two properties beyond location?

HI Broadway is undergoing a major renovation, there is no Executive floor right now, only one elevator is in use.
Btw they charge a $17 fee for parking...

HI downtown offer free parking.

NickB Mar 12, 2011 5:45 am

Originally Posted by cdegt (Post 16020312)
HI Broadway is undergoing a major renovation, there is no Executive floor right now, only one elevator is in use.
Btw they charge a $17 fee for parking...

HI downtown offer free parking.

Thanks for this. parking would not be an issue for me but renovations would be if they are disruptive.

cdegt Mar 12, 2011 12:48 pm

HI Broadway is probably the last HI hotel in major Canadian cities which is still using old HI VI. They are renovating the property to meet the new HI standard.

I think BOTH HI Broadway and HI downtown's location are very good and they both have HUGE rooms.

Flyersj18 Mar 12, 2011 10:13 pm

If you do stay at the HI Downtown then don't bother with their overpriced breakfast. On the corner of Howe and Davie (less than 100m away) there is a great place called 88 Juice and more owned by a nice Chinese couple who will see you right for around $10 a head. ^

GordonGordon Dec 6, 2011 11:03 pm

Can anyone tell me which HI in downtown Vancouver has easier/convenient access to the public transportation (without taking taxi) for YVR airport? Never been to Vancouver, but will be there in Feb next year for staying 1 night after the ski trip in Whistler/Blackcomb. Just want to see the city and have some nice meals. Thanks for any advice in advance.