IC Sydney Master Thread [merged] - after January 2011

Old Dec 31, 10, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

IC Sydney Master Thread [merged] - after January 2011

Frequent guests seem to have so many hassles with this hotel. I had considered staying here on my next Sydney trip in May (using a "current BOGO) but after reading about all of the problems that seem to pop up I'm hesitant. I read that I can't use BOGO for club level here. Is that correct? However, I rely heavily on hotel executive clubs for just about everything--wifi, food & drinks--so how does the club stack up against other hotel clubs in the city? Is it worth forgoing BOGO?

Note from Modeator:
Older post prior to this post could be found in the archive thread of this property:

IC Sydney Archive Thread

Thank you
FLYGVA

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 4, 17 at 7:03 am
Old Dec 31, 10, 7:09 pm
sbw

I am thinking of staying at IC Sydney, pls advise what kind of room upgrade for RA membesr?
thx
Old Dec 31, 10, 9:32 pm

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Originally Posted by sbw View Post
I am thinking of staying at IC Sydney, pls advise what kind of room upgrade for RA membesr?
thx
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...l#post13077374

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...8&pp=25&page=4
Old Dec 31, 10, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Frequent guests seem to have so many hassles with this hotel. I had considered staying here on my next Sydney trip in May (using a "current BOGO) but after reading about all of the problems that seem to pop up I'm hesitant. I read that I can't use BOGO for club level here. Is that correct? However, I rely heavily on hotel executive clubs for just about everything--wifi, food & drinks--so how does the club stack up against other hotel clubs in the city? Is it worth forgoing BOGO?
The Sydney IC rep on here is quite helpful with any questions. I'm sure that she will respond to you.

I used an old style bogo in August, on a club room, and had no problems. I'd say that you should check the link to book using the new certs and see if a club level room is listed. If so, then I can see no problems with booking it.

While there was a slight hassle checking in with the old style bogo, overall I was extremely happy with the hotel, and the club is gorgeous. The views are some of the best, if not the best of any hotel I've been to.
Old Feb 5, 11, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, AA-Plat, PC-Plat Amb, tons of others...
Is the club level worth purchasing the upgrade from a points stay?

RA staying later this month with a combination of points and BOGO. The BOGO reservation got upgraded to Club, the points stay didn't. When I (nicely) inquired on the possibility of getting the points stay upgraded, they quite nicely said they couldn't. But that I could pay a $150/night upgrade to club for the points stay.

For those that have stayed here before, is that worth it? Especially when I already have RA minibar benefits? Seems kind of steep to me.
Old Feb 5, 11, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
I wouldn't pay over $100, unless you had 4 people in the room. Personally, I'd value the club at $30-$40 per person, per day, if you're going to eat the breakfast and happyhour stuff. If you're going to be out and about most of the time, I wouldn't stress about it at all, and just forget paying anything extra.
Old Feb 5, 11, 2:25 pm

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Gold, AA, Avianca, HH D, IHG Spire Amb, Rydges Black, GHA Black
I have tried to use my BOGO for a club room later this year but am only able to choose a variety of rooms without club access.

Will have to use it elsewhere as I would not stay at this hotel without the club.

Last time I asked, the charge for bringing an extra guest into the lounge was $35 for breakfast and $45 for evening drinks and I cannot remember what afternoon tea was! So I suppose $150 for two is ok!!!
Old Feb 6, 11, 2:18 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Originally Posted by fifa View Post
I have tried to use my BOGO for a club room later this year but am only able to choose a variety of rooms without club access.

Will have to use it elsewhere as I would not stay at this hotel without the club.

Last time I asked, the charge for bringing an extra guest into the lounge was $35 for breakfast and $45 for evening drinks and I cannot remember what afternoon tea was! So I suppose $150 for two is ok!!!
Why not just pick the best room, the upgrade to a club room as an AMB from the best non club room would be expected??
Old Feb 6, 11, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markis10 View Post
Why not just pick the best room, the upgrade to a club room as an AMB from the best non club room would be expected??
Not if it is anything like Melbourne. As an Ambassador, an upgrade from a non club room is to a better room but still without club access. Club access only offered if club has been paid for
Old Feb 6, 11, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Not if it is anything like Melbourne. As an Ambassador, an upgrade from a non club room is to a better room but still without club access. Club access only offered if club has been paid for
Sydney is not like Melbourne in many ways . If you already booked the best non club room what can they do, although I note the range of rooms on offer with the AMB cert does not reflect the full non club rooms which is a bit rough, especially when you compare whats on offer at fully flex for the same dates, seems to be cutting off some of the benefits!

Last edited by markis10; Feb 6, 11 at 6:45 pm
Old Feb 6, 11, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sydney is not like Melbourne in many ways . If you already booked the best non club room what can they do, although I note the range of rooms on offer with the AMB cert does not reflect the full non club rooms which is a bit rough, especially when you compare whats on offer at fully flex for the same dates, seems to be cutting off some of the benefits!
They can upgrade to the 1st suite category without lounge access.
Old Feb 6, 11, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, AA-Plat, PC-Plat Amb, tons of others...
Originally Posted by fifa View Post

As stated in my earlier post, my BOGO stay was upgraded to a City View Club Room.
Old Feb 6, 11, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
They can upgrade to the 1st suite category without lounge access.
Unlikely given the ratio of suites versus rooms 28/509 and the fact the OP is AMB only.
Old Feb 7, 11, 6:07 am

Programs: VA Gold, IML Gold (*G), Accor Gold
I note the range of rooms on offer with the AMB cert does not reflect the full non club rooms which is a bit rough, especially when you compare whats on offer at fully flex for the same dates, seems to be cutting off some of the benefits!
I have fond memories of using a BOGO last year for an opera house view room with club which uprgraded to a club executive suite. I have pictures to remember the stay which is good because it doesn't look like this will happen again.

I can understand why they would do this as I presume they don't make as much money from a BOGO stay as two paid nights. But other hotels in large cities make several room types available, for example Hong Kong and Singapore. And some of those room rates are much higher than in Sydney. Admittedly, Sydney has very few suites, relative to the number of rooms, so it is hard to offer substantial upgrades. If I stayed there and couldn't get an upgrade I would accept compensation of a reduced room rate but others may take a different view. Of course if an upgrade was particularly important to me I would email in advance and ensure that it was arranged.

But is hard to see that limiting the room types is done for any other reason than reducing the value of the BOGO, and therefore reducing redemption rates at Sydney. It may well be that they have enough business already and don't need ambassadors there using BOGOs.

I like the Sydney IC but the only thing it really has going for it is the club lounge. This is the stand out feature of this hotel and I would not stay at Sydney IC without club. The rooms are fine but they are probably due for a renovation soon. Having to pay a club supplement of $150/night on a BOGO stay isn't very attractive. This kind of change makes me less likely to stay at Sydney IC.
Old Feb 7, 11, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Does IC ever monitor/audit member hotels for compliance with both the letter and spirit of its Amb/RA program? If so, the Sydney hotel would seem to be a prime candidate for such an audit.

Search this Thread