Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Sydney Master Thread [merged] - after January 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
my take on it is that RA benefits are just that - they are the benefits of a program that we have entered into as such, not an offer. the PP rates are an offer
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire Royal Ambassador, Hyatt GP Diamond
I'm struggling to understand how use of a PP BOGOF represents use of a benefit that cannot be combined with another offer.

The PP BOGOF is processed through the use of a rate code- it's basically a 50% discount on a 2 night stay that members have access to. Having IC Sydney rule this is a special benefit that cannot be used in conjunction with Ambassador (or RA) benefits may lead them down the slippery slope of declaring certain other discounted or 3rd party rates as inelegible for benefits too.

IC Sydney seems to be adopting a harsh stance of late. Firstly by denying upgrades/club benefits on NYE bookings to RA's and now this change..
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:43 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by InterContinental Sydney
Hi fifa

The terms and conditions of Priority Privilege do advise that the benefits cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers and as the Royal Ambassador upgrade to either Club InterContinental or a suite is another offer, it cannot be used at the same time.

Priority Privilege is an entirely unrelated program to Ambassador. PP is a food & beverage based program which offers discounts when dining plus the voucher to stay 2 nights and get one free. Ambassador program is a Priority Club based points program for accommodation only and the upgrades for Ambassadors cannot also be applied along with the PP program. Please do read the PP terms and conditions and as mentioned previously it does clearly state cannot be used in conjunction with other offers.

As a Royal Ambassador the choice of Club or Suite upgrade is extended when paying full rate. Again, I am very sorry for any disappointment due to this.

Priority Privilege food & beverage discounts can be used when staying as a Royal Ambassador, this only effects the actual upgrade when staying on discounted room rates. Hopefully this information has given some clarification and I do understand how perplexing the various benefits, along with terms and conditions can be.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need further assistance or clarification.

Kind regards Kim.
Hi Kim

Two years ago I had the same issue with the IC Melbourne and immediately contacted corporate in the US, who confirmed that benefits of the Ambassador apply for all rates regardless of rate restrictions imposed by those rates with the exclusion of rewards nights.

As the program is sold with this specified (the only exclusion is very specifically mentioned), it could be construed as deceptive and misleading conduct under what was formerly called the Trade Practices Act here in Australia for IHG and it's licences/agents to be attempting to act in a manner that's contrary to the published terms and conditions of the Ambassador program. Put simply, the benefits of the Ambassador program are not an accommodation offer, they are a sold benefit of a separate program, just because another program has an exclusion on "offers" does not permit the contract in place with the customer from being overridden, it's basic unfairness that I suspect will not be met with understanding or condoned by a court of law.

I am sure the many people who have been telemarketed by Priority Privilege who represent themselves as calling from the IC Sydney will be even more unhappy with this change as they are often told that the program does not restrict any benefits offered by the Ambassador program and both can be used at the same time, I certainly had this told to me during a recorded conversation in July last year and will forward this recording onto the appropriate people when I find it, I kept it for a laugh but all of a sudden it's ceased to be a laughing matter!

I have always appreciated your involvement here and hope you can appreciate my response is aimed at those who made the decision without regard for what we customers have signed on for, I am just sad that my benefits are being eroded by IHG and the IC Sydney without notice or recognition of the contracted terms of the ambassador program.

When I fly on a plane I don't get different service just because I am on a corporate rate or reward flight, but I do get different service in recognition of my patronage or status, other accomodation chains are now starting to see that this seamless treatment makes sense, regardless of the rate paid or reward night, IHG seem to be going in the other direction which does not bode well for its future.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
Thanks for summing up this issue so well, Markis10.
You stated exactly how I feel about IC Sydney's recent changes.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:52 am

Astounding

Hi fifa

The terms and conditions of Priority Privilege do advise that the benefits cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers and as the Royal Ambassador upgrade to either Club InterContinental or a suite is another offer, it cannot be used at the same time.

As a Royal Ambassador the choice of Club or Suite upgrade is extended when paying full rate. Again, I am very sorry for any disappointment due to this.

Priority Privilege food & beverage discounts can be used when staying as a Royal Ambassador, this only effects the actual upgrade when staying on discounted room rates. Hopefully this information has given some clarification and I do understand how perplexing the various benefits, along with terms and conditions can be.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need further assistance or clarification.

Kind regards Kim.
No mention has been made of other Royal Ambassador/Ambassador benefits or indeed PC elite benefits but as these are exactly the same sort of benefits as the RA/Ambassador upgrade benefit and the IC Sydney has chosen to define this kind of benefit as an offer I assume the IC Sydney also does not provide the following on any PP booking including the 10% Off Flexible Rate, 10% OFF AP Rate and PP newsletter offers.

*Extended Check-out for Club, Gold, Platinum, Amb and RA - not honoured
*Complimentary weekday newspaper fo C, G, P, Amb + RA - not honoured
*Collecting PC points - for C, G, P, Amb + RA - not honoured
(would seem to follow from the Ambassador website defining the earning of points through Ambassador Accelerator as an offer: Ambassador Accelerator† :
It’s the fastest way to earn a Reward Night at an InterContinental Hotels & Resorts location.
With this offer you’ll earn an additional 20,000 bonus points for every 15 nights you stay at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts.

*Fresh fruit and mineral water - for Amb + RA - not honoured
*Complimentary Pay TV Movie per stay - for Amb + RA - not honoured
*Early check-in - for RA - not honoured
*Complimentary Minibar beverages - for RA - not honoured

Would you please confirm that as the IC Sydney considers the benefits of Priority Club Rewards and the associated Ambassador Program to be offers that the IC Sydney provides none of the above benefits to elite members who book any rate associated with the Priority Privilege program
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:39 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hi All,
I always get a facination out of what this hotel can come up with in the world of competing loyalty programs.
Regardless of Trip Advisor,Flyertalk or elsewhere IC Sydney upper management continues to ignore its customers expectations and some of their very satisfaction.
Holding onto delivering the least of what they can offer based on written terms/ contract from another era.
For many years this will be my example and poster child hotel reference to top tier loyalty recognition gone wrong when sharing on customer loyalty/CRM.
Yet the policies continue to upset some of their top tier customers and letting them consider other choices and other programs

It's been said many times that the place to complain/disagree with the policy besides here and other social media outlets/channels is
InterContinental Hotel Guest Relations and the corporate office in Atlanta (even better written letters)
Only when the IHG folks see enough media attention and loyal guests continue to dislike the property, program and brand as a result will they consider to make changes to the Ambassador program.

InterContinental Sydney continues to be clear that it doesn't need guests in a strong market and it will do little or nothing for loyal guests on award or promotional rates because it doesn't have too (even though many of its brother and sister properties globally do)
Finally even on revenue it will deliver about half of what a wide variety of IC hotels do.

I spoke with my wallet elsewhere more recently in Sydney with a return to the lovely Westin and at the new Park Hyatt Sydney as a Diamond on award.
Where for less than an award night at the IC Sydney I cried on my Butlers shoulder sharing with him about how IC Sydney doesnt think I'm worthy
That was after my complimentary full breakfast and walking onto my balcony staring dead on at the Opera House.Sympathy please!!!!

Choose your travel partners wisely and do not place the burden of guilt and shame on Kim.
She is just the helpful professional brave messenger delivering the good or bad news in a property area mangement and ownership gone wrong
(All in the eyes of the beholder of course)
Cheers
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: IHG
Talking

^ompeting loyalty programs.
Regardless of Trip Advisor,Flyertalk or elsewhere IC Sydney upper management continues to ignore its customers expectations and some of their very satisfaction.
Holding onto delivering the least of what they can offer based on written terms/ contract from another era.
For many years this will be my example and poster child hotel reference to top tier loyalty recognition gone wrong when sharing on customer loyalty/CRM.
Yet the policies continue to upset some of their top tier customers and letting them consider other choices and other programs

It's been said many times that the place to complain/disagree with the policy besides here and other social media outlets/channels is
InterContinental Hotel Guest Relations and the corporate office in Atlanta (even better written letters)
Only when the IHG folks see enough media attention and loyal guests continue to dislike the property, program and brand as a result will they consider to make changes to the Ambassador program.

InterContinental Sydney continues to be clear that it doesn't need guests in a strong market and it will do little or nothing for loyal guests on award or promotional rates because it doesn't have too (even though many of its brother and sister properties globally do)
Finally even on revenue it will deliver about half of what a wide variety of IC hotels do.

I spoke with my wallet elsewhere more recently in Sydney with a return to the lovely Westin and at the new Park Hyatt Sydney as a Diamond on award.
Where for less than an award night at the IC Sydney I cried on my Butlers shoulder sharing with him about how IC Sydney doesnt think I'm worthy
That was after my complimentary full breakfast and walking onto my balcony staring dead on at the Opera House.Sympathy please!!!!

Choose your travel partners wisely and do not place the burden of guilt and shame on Kim.
She is just the helpful professional brave messenger delivering the good or bad news in a property area mangement and ownership gone wrong
(All in the eyes of the beholder of course)
Cheers[/QUOTE]

^
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:32 pm

you arent telling us something we dont already know
but
thankyou for reminding us-
IC Sydney have a bad attitude
RA just left IC Porto on TA rates(thanks to travel partner)
upgrade to suite
full minibar
nice staff want me to be there.

I mean how much does it cost to look after a client?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:08 am

While not holding my breath for a response to my previous post I'll ask a supplementary question of IC Sydney.

The Priority Privilege BOGOF certificate is booked at exactly the same rate as the Ambassador Free Weekend Night certificate. Are we to surmise then that the IC Sydney considers the Ambassador FWN certificate to be an offer and therefore Ambassador/RA benefits will not be granted when booking using this certificate or does this certificate permit Ambassadors and RAs concurrent use of the FWN offer with the Ambassador/RA upgrade offer (aka elite benefit to everyone else apart from the IC Sydney)?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:34 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

deleted

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Lightbulb

IC Sydney can be stingy with upgrades, but there are not so many Opera view room at this property.

I had excellent stay at IC Sydney. I liked my Opera view room (not huge, but elegant design and of course superb view), and the club lounge is just great.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:35 pm

I stay at the moment here and have to say that all of my RA benefits have been granted.
Although a letter from the management reminds me to consume minibar beverage on a reasonable consumption rate
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Hi Kim,

Could you please explain how the Royal Ambassador benefits constitutes an "offer", because as far as I am aware, they are not actually offers but benefits that are promised to members by ICHG? Please also let us know if IC Sydney declining to honour the RA benefits on Priority Privilege is entirely up to the property or if it had been authorised by the IC Ambassador programme as an Australia-wide matter.

Could you please also clarify if your declining to honour RA benefits would extend to the use of IC BOGO as well as to PP BOGO?

I have an option to stay at SOTP where I am an SPG Platinum or IC Sydney, and if the RA benefits will not be honoured, I would be inclined to choose SOTP in preference as the benefits are always honoured (even on points stay) and club access is guaranteed.

Thank you for your clarification of this matter.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: RA, QANTAS Club Platinum
hi,

i have made clear my thoughts on IC Sydney over the time. I do not rate the hotel, or the treatment RA's get, and to keep dave noble quiet here, they give what RA's are entitled to (or maybe they do not)??

But on reading this, its just a new low. I rang ambassador services to check on what kim wrote. i was told that it is totally incorrect. i asked the rep to clarify with his manager and he came back with RA upgrades must be honored even when booking pp rates, that the relationship between pp and priority is still intact. he wanted my booking in order to sort it out. obviously i did not have one as i don't only complain about bad properties i take my money and that of all my friends and associates elsewhere.

i told him what IC Sydney are now doing, reading him kim's responsev and asked if someone would be able to contact the hotel and tell them to stop this. I got an interesting response back, he said no one would email them and direct them to tow the line but they would email reminding them of their obligations.

and i think therein lies the problem. hotels such as IC Sydney, who clearly have their own loyalty program and value their frequent stayers over the RA program are allowed to get away with trying things like this on. (their guest relations manager, like any good one, contacts other IC properties to make sure her important guests are well looked after, coincidentally few to none are RA)

my two cents worth, it is not a hotel worth bothering with. there are far better hotels with superior views than this one in Sydney. the only way a hotel like this will change is if they are hit in the hip pocket. if you are not happy with them, i know its a hassle but make the phone call to ambassador services. if they are getting enough complaints about them they may get sick of it and do something about it. who knows maybe management will give up the IC branding they seem to find a hassle, call it something else and promote their own loyalty program.

Hi fifa

Priority Privilege is an entirely unrelated program to Ambassador. PP is a food & beverage based program which offers discounts when dining plus the voucher to stay 2 nights and get one free. Ambassador program is a Priority Club based points program for accommodation only and the upgrades for Ambassadors cannot also be applied along with the PP program. Please do read the PP terms and conditions and as mentioned previously it does clearly state cannot be used in conjunction with other offers.

Kind regards Kim.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kindred
But on reading this, its just a new low. I rang ambassador services to check on what kim wrote. i was told that it is totally incorrect. i asked the rep to clarify with his manager and he came back with RA upgrades must be honored even when booking pp rates, that the relationship between pp and priority is still intact. he wanted my booking in order to sort it out. obviously i did not have one as i don't only complain about bad properties i take my money and that of all my friends and associates elsewhere.
Did you ask about the use of PP rates or the use of the free night certificate relating to RA benefits? The situation might possibly be different between the 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.