IC Sydney Master Thread [merged] - after January 2011

Old May 9, 19, 7:53 pm

Fyi, when you arrive early, access to the club lounge is not permitted until 11am. First IC Ive been to where they are so ungenerous to early arriving guests. Although totally up to the individual hotel, Ive always found it a nice little gesture of hospitality to be invited for a quick bite. Not needed here obviously...
Old May 9, 19, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Kimsbrand View Post
Fyi, when you arrive early, access to the club lounge is not permitted until 11am. First IC Ive been to where they are so ungenerous to early arriving guests. Although totally up to the individual hotel, Ive always found it a nice little gesture of hospitality to be invited for a quick bite. Not needed here obviously...
I arrived at 8am once. They gave me a key to the pool area and said I could shower there, I thought its was fun & had the pool to myself
Old May 9, 19, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 View Post

I arrived at 8am once. They gave me a key to the pool area and said I could shower there, I thought its was fun & had the pool to myself
This is still possible. I was just surprised because arriving early in the club lounge has never been an issue before. Especially as they advertise the lounge with "world's greatest lounge 2017" or something, I would have expected at least the standard IC treatment. I know this might sounds greedy, but it isn't meant that way at all.
Old May 15, 19, 8:49 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by Kimsbrand View Post
yes they are stingy at this hotel. Have also had this happen a few years back. God forbid you should pop up and eat $10 worth of breakfast or something at 10am. If it wasnt for that spectacular view from the Club I dont think I'd rush back as the whole hotel is tired, especially the club. Will see this weekend if there have been any improvements.
Old May 16, 19, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Susiew237 View Post
yes they are stingy at this hotel. Have also had this happen a few years back. God forbid you should pop up and eat $10 worth of breakfast or something at 10am. If it wasnt for that spectacular view from the Club I dont think I'd rush back as the whole hotel is tired, especially the club. Will see this weekend if there have been any improvements.
If you set expectations to be in line with what entitlements are, then much less likely to be disappointed

Checking in at 10am , unless a Royal Ambassador, is not something to be expect to be able to do ; getting a room at that time but not being able to also have a free breakfast , does not seem at all stingy , but quite generous when check in time is 14:00
Old May 17, 19, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If you set expectations to be in line with what entitlements are, then much less likely to be disappointed

Checking in at 10am , unless a Royal Ambassador, is not something to be expect to be able to do ; getting a room at that time but not being able to also have a free breakfast , does not seem at all stingy , but quite generous when check in time is 14:00
I beg to differ. I set my expectations exactly in line with the treatments I received in every other IC or Conrad where I arrived early (and of course booked a club room). It was not a problem in Tokyo, it was not a problem in Wellington and it was not a problem in Beijing just to name a few. Quite contrary, I‘ve been proactively offered to wait in the club and have a few bites most of the time. So yes, based on my experiences I must admit I take something for granted which is not written down as official entitlements. And why is it not written down? Because for me this is part of the basic concept of hospitality in a 5 star hotel (or at least it should be).

In addition to that, as they advertise the IHG Spire status with the check-in at 10am benefit, I don‘t think it is „quite generous“ to have a free breakfast while waiting for the room to be ready. It is a nice and friendly gesture which shows that the hotel cares about me as a guest.
oxfordjames likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 4:27 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post

I see your point Dave but actually if they have the room ready then they can check you in and it would just be a nice "gesture". And the time I am referring to when this did in fact happen was when we were RA. I do now have low expecations of Sydney so not disappointed!

Latest trip was all good, arrived around lunchtime and checked in at club. Offered tea/coffee. Room not ready but no problem for me to change out of flight clothes into something more suitable for out and about in Sydney. Club lounge furniture is looking very tired I think, it really needs an update. Evening canapes (hot ones at least) were lack lustre. What happened to the days where the chef would showcase their talent with a few small offerings. Fried spring rolls and samosa's dont cut the mustard.
Old May 22, 19, 5:03 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Susiew237 View Post
I see your point Dave but actually if they have the room ready then they can check you in and it would just be a nice "gesture". And the time I am referring to when this did in fact happen was when we were RA. I do now have low expecations of Sydney so not disappointed!

Latest trip was all good, arrived around lunchtime and checked in at club. Offered tea/coffee. Room not ready but no problem for me to change out of flight clothes into something more suitable for out and about in Sydney. Club lounge furniture is looking very tired I think, it really needs an update. Evening canapes (hot ones at least) were lack lustre. What happened to the days where the chef would showcase their talent with a few small offerings. Fried spring rolls and samosa's dont cut the mustard.
My how history repeats itself at select properties
No please don't have low expectations of Sydney or for that matter Melbourne two of the most generous cities with some of the best hoteliers in the world and a few bad ones like all cities
Just have low expectations of The InterContinental Sydney because this is how they see fit to welcome guests be it their rules
or lack of proper hospitality a matter of opinion and perception in the eyes of the beholder
And they may not be the only ones but have been consistent with their policies for some time if nothing else.

As a lifetime Titanium with Marriott and a former lifetime Platinum with SPG and a Hilton Diamond I have arrived numerous times early over the decades and given immediate lounge access and breakfast
and occasionally a room until my suite or other accommodations are ready.In fact even fitness club access and showers on arrival and then up to the club for breakfast
Now if I wasn't a top tier member I think my personal expectation would be different
Not that it couldn't all change in the morning and erases decades of kindness and generosity
Having said all that prior to turning lifetime elite with Marriott and was a general member and though I had no status with them.
The Marriott Sky City Hong Kong thanked me for decades of being a Marriott customer and upgraded me to club access
I was in a state of shock at the time.Probably the most generous stay of my life when you consider I had no status at the time!

Who you choose to do business with is a choice and there is never a need to settle unless you are fine with IC Sydney and its house rules
In my case it cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars of lost business over the years for being frugal as I invest in other properties & brands that invest in me
with regards to personal recognition and my long term loyalty in return
I won't begin to say what anyone else should do but if they are fine with the IC Sydney treatment of its guests that's great and all that matters!
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 22, 19 at 5:14 pm