Crowne Plaza (LAX)

Old Jul 13, 16, 11:03 am
  #91  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,343
Originally Posted by og View Post
Its a brisk 10 minute walk or slower 15 minute walk to the close terminals ...
Have you actually done the walk? The sidewalk does NOT run all the way.

Nobody in his sane mind would walk on the very busy roads with non stop traffic.

Originally Posted by mster View Post
Looks like an easy straight 15 minute walk down "World Way" and onto "W Century Blvd" - can you comment on the safety and sidewalk / intersection quality for the walk?

I generally prefer hotels I can walk to comfortably and love the hotels around SEA (seattle) and YYZ (toronto) for this reason. DCA isn't a bad walk to nearby hotels, but it's not short.
The poster claimed to walk does not seem actually has done the walk.

The sidewalk does not seem to run all the way from CP location to the terminals. There are stretches do not seem to have sidewalk at all - you would be walking in a narrow strip by the concrete barrier with cars zooming by you. I would not take the walk even without luggage because I do not want to be hit by a car!

Last edited by Happy; Jul 13, 16 at 11:23 am
Happy is offline  
Old Jul 13, 16, 11:31 am
  #92  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Posts: 13,554
Moreover, there's also often a local police checkpoint of some sort, where I believe a pedestrian with a suitcase would be very dimly viewed.
Points Scrounger is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 5:08 am
  #93  
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Posts: 13,019
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Have you actually done the walk? The sidewalk does NOT run all the way.

Nobody in his sane mind would walk on the very busy roads with non stop traffic.

The poster claimed to walk does not seem actually has done the walk.

The sidewalk does not seem to run all the way from CP location to the terminals. There are stretches do not seem to have sidewalk at all - you would be walking in a narrow strip by the concrete barrier with cars zooming by you. I would not take the walk even without luggage because I do not want to be hit by a car!
Yes I have done the walk from LAX to the CP (and vice versa). It was a week ago. It's sidewalk all the way. No need to do the "have I got a sane mind" consideration

Simply walk to T1 then head eastwards along World Way outside the arrivals doors under the departures concourse then blend onto the sidewalk along W Century BLvd. Formal pedestrian crossings with lights make it safe. Resist the temptation to walk eastwards from the southern terminals (eg T6) - it gets messy when you have to figure out how to cross lots of busy roads.

It's an easy walk. Google maps showed me the walking route.

Oh, and no police. But why would the police think there was something odd about someone with a carry-on wheelie bag at an airport?

Last edited by og; Jul 14, 16 at 3:46 pm Reason: Clarification of path outside T1
og is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 8:10 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: World
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by og View Post
Yes I have done the walk from LAX to the CP (and vice versa). It was a week ago. It's sidewalk all the way. No need to do the "have I got a sane mind" consideration

Simply walk to T1 then head eastwards along World Way under the arrivals concourse then blend onto the sidewalk along W Century BLvd. Formal pedestrian crossings with lights make it safe. Resist the temptation to walk eastwards from the southern terminals (eg T6) - it gets messy when you have to figure out how to cross lots of busy roads.

It's an easy walk. Google maps showed me the walking route.

Oh, and no police. But why would the police think there was something odd about someone with a carry-on wheelie bag at an airport?
If you google street view the walk you actually see people rolling carry-ons down the sidewalk ^

Can anyone comment on Spire benefits (if any) at this property? Anything above the thoroughly discussed upgrade / lounge access / drink chits for Platinums I mean.

Last edited by mster; Jul 14, 16 at 8:16 am
mster is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 9:12 am
  #95  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 32,482
Originally Posted by mster View Post
Can anyone comment on Spire benefits (if any) at this property? Anything above the thoroughly discussed upgrade / lounge access / drink chits for Platinums I mean.
I never got anything special for Spire that I didn't get with Platinum at this hotel.

As for walking, I like walking a mile or two in many cities around the world. But not LA. It is very unpleasant. Way, way more unpleasant than the unpleasant shuttle bus.
stimpy is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 11:19 am
  #96  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,343
Originally Posted by og View Post
Yes I have done the walk from LAX to the CP (and vice versa). It was a week ago. It's sidewalk all the way. No need to do the "have I got a sane mind" consideration

Simply walk to T1 then head eastwards along World Way under the arrivals concourse then blend onto the sidewalk along W Century BLvd. Formal pedestrian crossings with lights make it safe. Resist the temptation to walk eastwards from the southern terminals (eg T6) - it gets messy when you have to figure out how to cross lots of busy roads.

It's an easy walk. Google maps showed me the walking route.

Oh, and no police. But why would the police think there was something odd about someone with a carry-on wheelie bag at an airport?
The walk we might need is to T7. I gather one can get from T1 to T7 via the Parking 1 to Parking 7 according to the LAX Map. It looks much easier to reach T1 then try to reach T7 from the street due to mess of intersection in the Southern terminals. Better to use the garages to go over as there seem to have passage ways connecting P1 and P7, and P7 connected to T7 via upper passage way.

Originally Posted by mster View Post
If you google street view the walk you actually see people rolling carry-ons down the sidewalk ^

Can anyone comment on Spire benefits (if any) at this property? Anything above the thoroughly discussed upgrade / lounge access / drink chits for Platinums I mean.
Street views show Century Blvd has sidewalk, World Way does not. There are sections that look tricky to pick the right path.

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I never got anything special for Spire that I didn't get with Platinum at this hotel.

As for walking, I like walking a mile or two in many cities around the world. But not LA. It is very unpleasant. Way, way more unpleasant than the unpleasant shuttle bus.
Agree if shuttle is on time nobody should walk. The sticky part is in the busy flight banks one could wait for 2 or 3 rounds of shuttle and may still not be able to get on and that was the most frequent complaints on various review sites. A guy said they had to take the shuttle due to luggage. The Valet was very kind to help them. When after 2 rounds, finally their turn, another guest insisted he should be ahead of them, causing the Valet almost had a fist fight with the other guy who wanted to force his way to the shuttle.

Besides, given our terminal is T7, if the shuttle starts its stop at T1, then it would take another 20 min or more to get to T7 on top of the short drive to T1... Walking probably takes less than 20 min.
Happy is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 1:44 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,527
Originally Posted by mster View Post
Can anyone comment on Spire benefits (if any) at this property? Anything above the thoroughly discussed upgrade / lounge access / drink chits for Platinums I mean.
Can't say anything about Spire, but I did receive an upgrade to the Presidential Suite here as a Platinum member. IMHO the benefits are extremely generous.
brewdog11 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 2:23 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,917
Wow, such bad information on walking from this property to the airport!

It is indeed pretty straight forward and easy to walk. It is about 15-20 min to T1 and about anouther 10 minutes to T4 which is about the trickiest spot to get to when walking as you need to cross over to the other side of LAX but nothing extraordinary as it is all sidewalks and cross walks the whole way.

When heading out the hotel you just turn right right on Century Blvd towards LAX and continue walking where you will cross Sepulveda/PCH which is a larger intersection but has a crosswalk. You will then continue walking on the same road and cross Vicksburg which also has a crossing light. I think you are technically on "Sky Way" at this point but you are really walking straight as if you never left Century Blvd. Once you are past the Vicksburg crosswalk you are at T1 and at the arrivals (lower) level. If you want to go to T2, T3 and TB you can just keep walking on this side and they go in that order. If you want to go to T4,T5,T6,T7 or T8 then you will take the crosswalk at the end of T1 and just walk down East Way to the other side of LAX and hit whichever terminal you need. East Way will put you in between T6 and T7.

I think what makes people think you cant walk is that they see how Century Blvd goes up a ramp to LAX which is the departures level and for sure you cant go up that way as there is no side walk. Also if you are looking at Google earth you will not see the road on the lower level so the sidewalks are hidden. If you look at google street maps you should be able to see the sidewalks etc.

I have walked this area a lot and never felt unsafe etc. I arrive late at night often and never felt concerned in the least. You will not be the only person walking especially during the day. I see lots of airline employees walking every time.

If you are inclined and able to walk instead of waiting for a crowded shuttle, do it. Take it from someone that has made this walk A LOT.
mcgahat is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 3:04 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,908
Originally Posted by mster View Post
Does anyone know if the lounge is open Sunday night at this property?
No, it's Mon - Fri only (and mentioned in numerous places on their website)
sbiddle is offline  
Old Aug 5, 16, 12:54 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SEA
Posts: 1,530
Here now. I checked in around 11:30 (waited 25 minutes for the shuttle to come). Were out of King Bed rooms so had to wait a bit. Gave me free hot breakfast in the restaurant for waiting. Not too bad. Room is just fine.

EDIT: This morning (Friday) the protestors were out at 7am. "No Justice! No PEACE!"

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Aug 5, 16 at 10:06 am
Single_Flyer is offline  
Old Aug 11, 16, 7:38 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,527
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer View Post
EDIT: This morning (Friday) the protestors were out at 7am. "No Justice! No PEACE!"
They're STILL there? I love this property, but you really can't escape the noise they make even when you're on the opposite side of the hotel. Even the earplugs don't work.

Anyone know if these protests occur every day?
brewdog11 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 16, 9:11 pm
  #102  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Posts: 13,554
It's the bullhorn. Somehow, the hotel's lawyers need to have the permit adjusted so that either they start at 9 with the bullhorn or at 7 they can only use their voices.
Points Scrounger is offline  
Old Sep 21, 16, 12:48 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: stuck with AA in PHL
Posts: 110
stayed last month here. found the room to be in very good condition (clean, not a lot of chips or peels or scratches on things). spacious room and bathoom, large TV. sort of would put this on par with an average room in other Crowne Plaza's, Marriott's, Doubletree/Hilton etc. nothing noteworthy but nothing disappointing. Tub-form shower. Wall AC unit made a lot of noise, which would normally would annoy me except it helped to drown out the VERY loud runway noises coming from my window (which I believed I faced North, or perhaps Northwest on a high floor). Had to sleep with earplugs, but was more than prepared for that after having stayed at the Hyatt/Concourse earlier this year, which had the same issues. Room was in much, much better shape than my room at the Concourse (i was there just after transition from the Radisson, and my non-renovated room was truly nasty).

Shuttle service ran well both ways for me, but i'm sure that's hit or miss in terms of timing and seat availability; most are. Check-in desk had a very long line at around 7pm. Not enough staff working the desk (2 folks), who looked miserably overwhelmed. There is a separate line for IHG elites (including lowly golds like me) that gets priority service. So, would hesitate to stay here without status b/c of check-in situation, but otherwise this is a solid LAX hotel. and was cheaper than most others on my date.
orvando is offline  
Old Sep 21, 16, 3:13 pm
  #104  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,721
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
Wow, such bad information on walking from this property to the airport!

It is indeed pretty straight forward and easy to walk. It is about 15-20 min to T1 and about anouther 10 minutes to T4 which is about the trickiest spot to get to when walking as you need to cross over to the other side of LAX but nothing extraordinary as it is all sidewalks and cross walks the whole way.

When heading out the hotel you just turn right right on Century Blvd towards LAX and continue walking where you will cross Sepulveda/PCH which is a larger intersection but has a crosswalk. You will then continue walking on the same road and cross Vicksburg which also has a crossing light. I think you are technically on "Sky Way" at this point but you are really walking straight as if you never left Century Blvd. Once you are past the Vicksburg crosswalk you are at T1 and at the arrivals (lower) level. If you want to go to T2, T3 and TB you can just keep walking on this side and they go in that order. If you want to go to T4,T5,T6,T7 or T8 then you will take the crosswalk at the end of T1 and just walk down East Way to the other side of LAX and hit whichever terminal you need. East Way will put you in between T6 and T7.

I think what makes people think you cant walk is that they see how Century Blvd goes up a ramp to LAX which is the departures level and for sure you cant go up that way as there is no side walk. Also if you are looking at Google earth you will not see the road on the lower level so the sidewalks are hidden. If you look at google street maps you should be able to see the sidewalks etc.

I have walked this area a lot and never felt unsafe etc. I arrive late at night often and never felt concerned in the least. You will not be the only person walking especially during the day. I see lots of airline employees walking every time.

If you are inclined and able to walk instead of waiting for a crowded shuttle, do it. Take it from someone that has made this walk A LOT.
Agree it is a fairly straightforward walk but often feels like a bit of a schlep. You do go up and down kerbs a bit too as I recall there isn't a single continuous pavement to roll along.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Old Sep 22, 16, 3:55 am
  #105  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Isle of Anglesey
Programs: DL, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 198
We've always waited 25-30 minutes for the Shuttle.

I'm very familiar with LAX but have never considered walking to the Crowne Plaza or any of the other airport hotels.

I'm sure it is doable, but dragging my suitcase all the way from the Bradley Terminal to the Crowne Plaza is not my idea of fun.

If I didn't have a lot of luggage, was at T1 or T2 and knew I just missed the shuttle I might walk.
AndrewAndDebbie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: