IC Moorea Master Thread [merged] - Closed permanently

Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:46 am

Looking to travel here with spouse and two small kids - can only get the standard Room on points. Room description says 2 adults + 1 small child - is hotel firm on this policy?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:44 am

Why is availability only open till May 5th 2017 - wide open availability for next 4 months, but absolutely nothing exactly after that date. Is the hotel going under maintenance or what? It is obviously unlikely that for some reason the next 4 months are unsold with good availability, but exactly after that date everything is sold out.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Why is availability only open till May 5th 2017 - wide open availability for next 4 months, but absolutely nothing exactly after that date. Is the hotel going under maintenance or what? It is obviously unlikely that for some reason the next 4 months are unsold with good availability, but exactly after that date everything is sold out.
Reward nights at all IHG hotels in FP can now only be booked 4 months out, not 50 weeks out like IHG hotels elsewhere. I'm not sure if this is against the IHG rules, but that's how it is now.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by DUflyer
Reward nights at all IHG hotels in FP can now only be booked 4 months out, not 50 weeks out like IHG hotels elsewhere. I'm not sure if this is against the IHG rules, but that's how it is now.
based on which information?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by daruda
based on which information?
Based on very thorough observation. Just check again in a few days and you will see that additional nights 4 months out will be available.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:29 am

Based on very thorough observation. Just check again in a few days and you will see that additional nights 4 months out will be available.
so also applicable for thalasso & le moana?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:30 am

so also applicable for thalasso & le moana?
Yes, all 4.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:32 am

Yes, all 4.
but aren't there still people holding reward nights for thalasso & le moana in september/october 2018? Because couple of weeks ago it was still possible to book in future.

So probably for 6months there will come no new nights at thalasso available?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:35 am

but aren't there still people holding reward nights for thalasso & le moana in september/october 2018? Because couple of weeks ago it was still possible to book in future.

So probably for 6months there will come no new nights at thalasso available?
Yes, that's correct. And if you hold nights and release them, they won't go back to inventory until 4 months out (if they are still available then).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:11 pm

Hmm, this 4 months thing kind of sucks because most people will want to book award flights 1 year out when they release (assuming the goal is an award flight and hotel trip).

But its also probably good because now people won't just speculatively hold bookings at these properties far out.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Hi, I recently booked IC Moorea Lanai room using rewards nights on points (40k per night). But I see that it's possible to book via Citi/Chase using much less points. Will it be possible to upgrade the room when booked via Citi/Chase? Also how upgrade process works? Is it upon check-in, or I can do it earlier? I'm currently Platinum via Chase CC, and I'm planning to get an Ambassador. TIA.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Should I Pay Up or Take my Chances?

Booked 6 nights at Moorea in April. 1 Ambassador BOGO (inflated rate of course), 1 paid (Virtuoso which includes meals and drink $), 3 points. I thought I'd increase my chances of being upgraded on the award nights if I paid for a few nights. Sent an email with this question: "As an Ambassador I know the paid nights will provide me with an upgraded room. Would there be an additional cost to remain in the same room on the award nights?" Received a very confusing reply from the Assistant Front Desk Manager, who said I have 2 options.

Option 2 is a little easier to understand. Pay $150 upcharge per night and receive guaranteed upgrade to Beach Bungalow (except Virtuoso night which should receive the upgrade, 1 level, gratis). Stay in the same room all nights. Of course need to add the cost of the paid nights as well to that $750.

Option 1 I'm still trying to decipher. I think it's pay +$20 on the 3 award nights to go from Lanai room to Premium Lanai room so that we can stay in the same room for all 6 nights. There would be no upgrade for my paid nights.

Needless to stay I'm not feeling the love here. Maybe it will be better at the front desk when we arrive? I've read many reviews that mention how great the front desk is (all the staff actually) and how so many guests seem to receive upgrades. Maybe this is the new tough love Ambassador (Spire) treatment? Plus there's a link on the hotel's website which minimally describes the construction work in 2019 and a map showing half the OWB will be unavailable for most of the year. My hope was to be upgraded to a beach or pool bungalow, I don't expect an OWB,

Then he proceeded to provide this Ambassador info:
As a Spire Ambassador, please see below the benefits that you will be provided during your stay:
  • Welcome amenities at check-in (choice of points or a drink at the bar)
  • In-Room snacks amenities upon arrival
  • Complimentary Mineral Water during your stay with (1 bottle a day)
  • Guaranteed 4pm late check-out
  • 1'900 XPF Food and Beverage Credit for your stay
900 XPF food and beverage credit = $8.54 USD??? 1 bottle of water . . .

The last thing I want when going on vacation to my once in a lifetime dream destination is to have to print out the Ambassador rules just in case.
So my question is in the title . . . Now thinking I should simply cancel the paid nights, replace them with reward nights (I have plenty of points), and (1) pay the $150/night upgrade to beach bungalow or (2) just stay in the Lanai room.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:55 pm

Relax. The hotels handles in good faith.

I never understand the point for securing additional benefits by contacting a hotel upfront, with high expectations. It is normal that upfront, they don't want to give away their rooms.

See what the situation is at check-in. You already researched and found that they are generous. Don't annoy them with arm twisting upfront

You don't want to be in the Lanai or Premium Lanai rooms. You should aim for a bungalow. But if they have construction works going on, limiting the number of bungalows, you might have less luck. Of course they want to fill them first with guests outright booking these types.

1900 XPF is about 18 to 19 USD.

As part of the construction works they might throw in free dinner as well. But also this is not much publicised, which makes sense, as they cater to guests booking nights with dinner packages.

As long as paid and points nights are in balance, I think any hotel which would force guests to change rooms, just for the sake of it, would be showing very poor form. Actually never came across this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Outstanding Stay

Now one of my favorite IC resorts, I'll post in the Ambassador thread as well. Received an email prior to arrival that they would upgrade us to a beach bungalow no charge (prior email stated a $150/nt upcharge for this room type). At the time I had booked 2 paid nights and 4 points nights. Got very nervous reading so many negative reviews due to construction and pools being drained/not usable just days prior to our trip. After reading glowing reviews of the Hilton Moorea, changed 2 paid nights to Hilton. In the end, we much preferred the IC, everything was better for us at the IC. One exception was the snorkeling at the Hilton was unbelievably outstanding, whereas it was good at the IC.

Loved the beach bungalow and its location at the IC. The overwater bunglows looked beautiful but our beach location was a much closer walk to the pool, lobby and restaurants. Total privacy with a large shaded deck, stand-alone unit, beautifully decorated/updated, and steps from the water. I don't understand the negative comments about IC overwater bungalows, they are lovely. Hilton is 3 times the price for all rooms. Hilton gave me a hard time about getting a 1 level upgrade as a Diamond member on paid nights even though I could see they had availability. Eventually Hilton gave me the 1 level upgrade to a plunge pool room, somewhat tired decor & furniture, connecting room to other unit with not-so-good soundproofing, no view except of a fence, no shade on the deck, at the back of the resort by the main road (vehicle noise). Hilton had a large group clientele when we were there--felt like a Hilton with a Polynesian theme a la Disneyland (small property), IC felt like a true French Polynesian tropical large resort--paradise.

There was construction mainly in the lobby which certainly didn't affect our stay (lobby was beautiful even with significant construction mess). Also noticed some work being done inside a few overwater bungalows and main building roofs--again, absolutely no impact on our stay. Two beautiful large pools, long sandy beach, a very expansive property. Dock onsite for pickup to various outside vendor water excursions. All staff were very friendly and kind. Concierge was very helpful. Rented a car from Avis right in the lobby (tip, book online rather than at the Avis desk--saved $100 on 2 day rental). Wifi worked great in the room, not so much anywhere else. However, my T-Mobile cell phone data worked quite well everywhere.

We went to the Polynesian buffet show one night, food was surprisingly very good as was the show. Another plus for us--breakfast can be ordered a la carte, you don't have to get the $42 buffet (as is the case at Hilton). Omelette, bacon, toast for $11. Had dinner one night at the Shell restaurant, their higher end option. A little nervous upon receiving menus with no prices listed and print so small even reading glasses didn't help much. We are light eaters so shared: crab salad starter (also given another starter, complimentary, maybe tuna?), scallop entree, a magnificent berry napoleon dessert--bill was under $100. Delicious food and presentation! The desserts are to die for, tempted to go back every night just for dessert.

Is this the thread someone compared the IC Moorea resort to a HIX? That must have been a joke. We hated to leave after staying 4 nights. When the refurbishment is completed (and spa open again), I'm sure it will not be such a bargain price-wise. Wish it wasn't so far away, or we'd return in a heartbeat.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Steph58
Now one of my favorite IC resorts, I'll post in the Ambassador thread as well. Received an email prior to arrival that they would upgrade us to a beach bungalow no charge (prior email stated a $150/nt upcharge for this room type). At the time I had booked 2 paid nights and 4 points nights. Got very nervous reading so many negative reviews due to construction and pools being drained/not usable just days prior to our trip. After reading glowing reviews of the Hilton Moorea, changed 2 paid nights to Hilton. In the end, we much preferred the IC, everything was better for us at the IC. One exception was the snorkeling at the Hilton was unbelievably outstanding, whereas it was good at the IC.

Loved the beach bungalow and its location at the IC. The overwater bunglows looked beautiful but our beach location was a much closer walk to the pool, lobby and restaurants. Total privacy with a large shaded deck, stand-alone unit, beautifully decorated/updated, and steps from the water. I don't understand the negative comments about IC overwater bungalows, they are lovely. Hilton is 3 times the price for all rooms. Hilton gave me a hard time about getting a 1 level upgrade as a Diamond member on paid nights even though I could see they had availability. Eventually Hilton gave me the 1 level upgrade to a plunge pool room, somewhat tired decor & furniture, connecting room to other unit with not-so-good soundproofing, no view except of a fence, no shade on the deck, at the back of the resort by the main road (vehicle noise). Hilton had a large group clientele when we were there--felt like a Hilton with a Polynesian theme a la Disneyland (small property), IC felt like a true French Polynesian tropical large resort--paradise.

There was construction mainly in the lobby which certainly didn't affect our stay (lobby was beautiful even with significant construction mess). Also noticed some work being done inside a few overwater bungalows and main building roofs--again, absolutely no impact on our stay. Two beautiful large pools, long sandy beach, a very expansive property. Dock onsite for pickup to various outside vendor water excursions. All staff were very friendly and kind. Concierge was very helpful. Rented a car from Avis right in the lobby (tip, book online rather than at the Avis desk--saved $100 on 2 day rental). Wifi worked great in the room, not so much anywhere else. However, my T-Mobile cell phone data worked quite well everywhere.

We went to the Polynesian buffet show one night, food was surprisingly very good as was the show. Another plus for us--breakfast can be ordered a la carte, you don't have to get the $42 buffet (as is the case at Hilton). Omelette, bacon, toast for $11. Had dinner one night at the Shell restaurant, their higher end option. A little nervous upon receiving menus with no prices listed and print so small even reading glasses didn't help much. We are light eaters so shared: crab salad starter (also given another starter, complimentary, maybe tuna?), scallop entree, a magnificent berry napoleon dessert--bill was under $100. Delicious food and presentation! The desserts are to die for, tempted to go back every night just for dessert.

Is this the thread someone compared the IC Moorea resort to a HIX? That must have been a joke. We hated to leave after staying 4 nights. When the refurbishment is completed (and spa open again), I'm sure it will not be such a bargain price-wise. Wish it wasn't so far away, or we'd return in a heartbeat.
Thanks for your info!
I am staying there next month on points night. May I know how long in advance you were confirmed for free upgrade, and is it after you cancelled your paid stay? I am plat and considering buying AMB, but not sure if they honor guaranteed upgrade for points stay.
Do they still offer free 2 course dinner for construction?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.