Wiki Posts
Search

Any news about the lost IC's?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Astriker
The book is "A Room with a World View" which highlights the history of IC Brand. I have hardback and softback copy.
Am I the only one with a copy as well (or actually two)? Quite often you find this copy from the club lounges at various IC's.

It used to go for $10 or so few years back when I bought mine. It seems that the current price is around $50 or so. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...A/ref=dp_olp_2

Anyone interested in IC's this is a must read.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:06 am

Programs: DL: DM / Royal Ambassador /PC:Plat / Hertz:5*
Both of mine were gifts from IC GMs, one that is retired (hard backed) and one that is soft backed. Funny thing is, the GM that gave it to me that is retired is mentioned in the book!

The hotels cannot get their hands on them anymore, the few out there are very few and far between. I have both here and don't plan on selling the, agree, it is a must read to understanding the IC Hotel history.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:05 am

Programs: Prioirty Club Royal Ambassador, Fursan
All IC in Saudi Arabia still exist

IC Jeddah (Amoudi)
IC Makkah (there are 2 ICs. The other is IC Dar Al Tawhid, Makkah)
IC Taif
IC Abha
IC Riyadh
IC Jubail (previously a Holiday Inn)
IC Al Khobar (the new addition)
IC Medina (02 ICs)
and I believe in Najran too.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
There was an InterContinental hotel in Manaus or Belem as well?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: CI: Emer; CX: Sliver; DL: PM; PC: RA;
there used to be
IC Imperial Taipei, guess gone around 2000
IC Forum Shenzhen, gone before 2001 and now BW Shenzhen
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
Really interesting thread - glad someone resurrected it.

A few that haven't had a reply are the old Dubai InterCon, which is now the Radisson Blu Dubai Creek, and the Edinburgh InterCon, which is now an independent.

Was particularly interested to read about the old London locations - I knew about the May Fair but had never even heard of the Britannia. Was also news to me that the Radisson Portman used to be an InterCon - I had in my head that the Hyatt used to be an InterCon but given the proximity to the Portman I must have misremembered this from a stay sometime in my childhood days.

Another one which is thankfully departed is the IC Cairo Pyramid Park, which was an absolute dung hole of an IC and has hopefully been flattened or reflagged as a youth hostel (which would actually be an insult to most hostels I've stayed in).
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by holtju2
There was an InterContinental hotel in Manaus or Belem as well?
InterContinental began in 1946 when the first hotel opened in Belém, Brazil.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FinalCallDXB
I had in my head that the Hyatt used to be an InterCon but given the proximity to the Portman I must have misremembered this from a stay sometime in my childhood days.
I had forgotten about that - many years ago I stayed at the Churchill Intercontinental on Portman Square.

A google search suggests that the address was 30 Portman square, which would make it the Hyatt.
I (vaguely) remember it being on the west side of the square, and the Hyatt has the name Churchill above the door.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Pics of InterContinental hotels in the 60-70s

I just founded a great site devoted to Pan Am Airways (InterContinental used to belong to the company) and presenting some of the hotels the crew used to stay at.

http://www.paacrewlayover.com/
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Related, there was a thread/post over at the PC Community forum one or two weeks back that IC Prague might be lost soon.....
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Does Anyone remember the InterContinental Des Indes, The Hague, now Luxury Collection?

Last edited by nicolas75; Aug 5, 2011 at 11:20 am
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:43 pm

Old London hotels

Interestingly, it seems like there was endless confusion in this thread about the former London hotels, with various people thinking each hotel was another.

Every one of the hotels named was, in fact, a separate hotel.

1) The Portman Inter-Continental of the 70s/80s - now the Radisson Blu Portman
2) The Britannia Inter-Continental of the 70s/80s (on Grosvenor Square) - now the Millennium Hotel London Mayfair
3) The Mayfair Inter-Continental of the 80s/90s - now The May Fair Hotel (no branding because it's a hip "boutique" hotel, but part of Radisson Edwardian)
4) The Churchill Inter-Continental of the 90s - now the Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill
5) The London Inter-Continental is the only remaining hotel of this period, now called the InterContinenatal London Park Lane
Atacama40 and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I just passed by a "Hotel Continental" in Belgrade. The signs (on the top of the facade and in front) look more like "Hotel ___________ Continental," in the same '70s-style font that IC often uses. So I checked this thread and, sure enough, there was an InterContinental here from the '70s.

I bet that this is the one. It would be really funny if they just removed the "Inter" from all of the signs and did nothing else.

Last edited by mecabq; Aug 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm Reason: I guess the software truncated my many spaces before "Continental," so I added the underscore characters!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
It is the one, and that's what they did

BTW, Holiday Inn Sarajevo is no more Holiday Inn. Just as well, cause it wasn't even close to ICH (or decent hotel) standards. Think 1984, Winter Olympic Games, and original (unrefurbished!) room decor, and plates and cups with Olympic Games logo...
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mecabq
I just passed by a "Hotel Continental" in Belgrade. The signs (on the top of the facade and in front) look more like "Hotel Continental," in the same '70s-style font that IC often uses. So I checked this thread and, sure enough, there was an InterContinental here from the '70s
Yes indeed : former InterContinental Belgrade

Not quite sure we should miss it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.