RA Exp end of month?

Old Jun 23, 08, 11:34 am
Moderator, Hertz
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
RA Exp end of month?

Just to confirm if my RA ends July, its July 31st, not 1st correct?
Old Jun 23, 08, 11:37 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
If you weren't qualified for its renewal, it will actually end about a week before the end of month.
Old Jun 23, 08, 12:02 pm
Moderator, Hertz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulmoscow View Post
If you weren't qualified for its renewal, it will actually end about a week before the end of month.
Really?
I got a stay on the 22nd of July at a IC. That should still be valid, right?
Old Jun 23, 08, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Yep. That is correct. You suddenly just drop to AMB. Happened to me last year when just before my end of month stay at the IC Boston the online showed me as a regular Ambassador.
Old Jun 23, 08, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612 View Post
I got a stay on the 22nd of July at a IC. That should still be valid, right?
Probably yes, but we don't know for sure when exactly ICHG sweeps its database.
Old Jun 23, 08, 1:26 pm

Programs: IC/RA - Spire, AC E50K, AA, AM-Gold, HH-Diamond, SPG, Choice - Gold
I spoke with Ambassador Services and they stated that RA/Ambassador membership status expires at the end of the month of membership.
If the card states that status expires in July 2008, then the change of status is effective on August 1, 2008, and not before. All benefits will be honoured up to and including the end of the month.

mxm135
Old Jun 23, 08, 3:25 pm

Programs: RA-Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, SPG Gold, CO Silver, DAL Silver, Avis P'sC, AAA-Plus
that's good information to know, thanks for passing it along...
Old Jun 23, 08, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by MXM135 View Post
If the card states that status expires in July 2008, then the change of status is effective on August 1, 2008, and not before.
I'm afraid life is not that rosy. The status in the ICHG system will be downgraded before the end of month and it's the first place to check for any hotel employee. From the other hand, my understanding is your status is attached to a reservation at the moment it was made and won't automatically change in the future. So at the very least you won't get the RA bonus, but also may need to fight for minibar charges.
Old Jun 24, 08, 4:40 am

Programs: IC/RA - Spire, AC E50K, AA, AM-Gold, HH-Diamond, SPG, Choice - Gold
I'm afraid life is not that rosy. The status in the ICHG system will be downgraded before the end of month and it's the first place to check for any hotel employee. From the other hand, my understanding is your status is attached to a reservation at the moment it was made and won't automatically change in the future. So at the very least you won't get the RA bonus, but also may need to fight for minibar charges.
Just like any card with an expiry date, benefits must be honoured until the final date, regardless of what IHG's system does. e.g. AAA/CAA membership card; credit cards; gift cards, etc.

In addition to the information I received from Ambassador Services, I was present at an Intercontinental hotel where a guest checked in before me whose RA membership was expiring at the end of the month. When he presented his card, he reminded the hotel that he was entitled to his benefits as there was still a week to go on his current status. The employee checked the card and agreed and stated that he was entitled to his benefits.

mxm135
Old Jun 24, 08, 4:42 am
Moderator, Hertz
Original Poster

Good to hear.
I shouldn't have any issues with the majority of my stays as they are the 1st 1/2 of July but I got 1 night in the IC SFO so I might have to remind them my benefits.
Old Jun 24, 08, 6:01 am
uk1
Suspended

FWIW I've found myself as an RA in the odd year making reservations for a period after RA expiry. Each time I contacted the hotel and explained and asked whether I'd receive the benefits and although I was clear in my mind it wasn't an entitlement I was never refused. That's why ICHG can be pretty good
Old Jun 24, 08, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Agree that it is definitely the end of the expiry month and benefits should be honoured through that period even if your status has changed on the statement page of the web site. From my years of first hand experience, bouncing back and forth between RA and A, the status on the statement changes around the final week of the expiry month, and I suspect this coincides with the mailing out of the downgraded renewal kit, as this generally arrives two weeks into the following month.
Old Jun 25, 08, 5:48 am

I have on two occasions in the past used my expiring RA status on the very last day or two of the expiration month and had no problem getting all the RA benefits and upgrades. I never checked online to see if the RA status was reported as changing before those last couple of days of the month but the desk staff at the hotel never mentioned any eligibility issues. Of course, YMMV.
Old Jun 26, 08, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by jason8612 View Post
Good to hear.
I shouldn't have any issues with the majority of my stays as they are the 1st 1/2 of July but I got 1 night in the IC SFO so I might have to remind them my benefits.
Sounds like you have a lot of stays at ICs in your last month of RA membership. How many stays did you have in total? If over 40 nights or so, especially if you've recently had a flurry of stays, you might want to contact IC and ask them if you can review your status based on recent activity. If not, well, enjoy the free minibar whilst you can :-)
Old Jun 26, 08, 3:40 pm
Moderator, Hertz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vsevolod4 View Post
Sounds like you have a lot of stays at ICs in your last month of RA membership. How many stays did you have in total? If over 40 nights or so, especially if you've recently had a flurry of stays, you might want to contact IC and ask them if you can review your status based on recent activity. If not, well, enjoy the free minibar whilst you can :-)
I will have about 10nights or so only.
Don't worry, I'll use that minibar

Search this Thread