How to gift a Reward Night to someone else?

Old May 12, 2008, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis First, HH Gold, PC Plat, DL, NW, CO
How to gift a Reward Night to someone else?

I know that there was a post on this not to long ago and now I can't find it.

I would like to reserve a reward night at a CP for my parents but I'm not sure how I should go about doing that so that they don't run into problems when they get there. Can anyone help me out or show me where the old post it?

Thanks
aero
Old May 12, 2008, 8:14 pm

What I've done with friends and relatives on numerous occasions in the past is book the reward night in my name but add (for example) one or both of my parents as additional guests. This has always worked out absolutely fine for us - even when I've used my name (male) and my father's name but yet mysteriously there was a man and woman (my parents) checking in together.

I mentioned this recently in regard to gifting a room to strangers, but I'm not so sure it's such a good idea in this respect because the room would be in your name so any damage the strangers might cause (this was for football fans ) would be the gifter's responsibility. I hope you don't have this worry with your parents

Here is the link to my comments - not sure if this is the thread to which you are referring?
Old May 12, 2008, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis First, HH Gold, PC Plat, DL, NW, CO
Thanks. I booked the night and it would not let me add additional guests so I just put "Please ... xxxxx as an additional guest."

I'll just call them in a couple days and make sure it's ok.

Thanks
aero
Old May 13, 2008, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
Has worked fine for me in the past - adding the additional names. I even got the points back for bar/restaurant spend!!

JAT
Old May 13, 2008, 2:13 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
aero, I guess you didn't select two adult for the room. If you did, then there is a space allow you to enter the name of second person. In fact, you can even change the name of second person after your booking, by checking all your reservations.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I have always just put "This reservation is for XYZ" in the comment (or is it "other information" ?) box, and never had a problem (or rather my friend/relation never had a problem).
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
I know this is a really old thread.. but i'm in similar situation now (want to book a reward room for my parents without me present).. After completing the reservation, I cannot find a place to add guest name.. Nor is there a comment section (maybe there was one during the booking, but now it's probably too late).. Does anyone know what the new process is?

TIA
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by travelsg
I know this is a really old thread.. but i'm in similar situation now (want to book a reward room for my parents without me present).. After completing the reservation, I cannot find a place to add guest name.. Nor is there a comment section (maybe there was one during the booking, but now it's probably too late).. Does anyone know what the new process is?

TIA
Yes other more recent threads abound on this topic

1. Correct/Official way is for the points donor to ring IHG Helpdesk, go through account verifcation Q+A process, and then book in other persoins name(s)
...End result is helpdesk deduct points from donor account, and makes reservsation in name of provided "Staying Guest"
...Also the IHG Membership Number/Status of staying guest can be added, useful if a higher status than donor. Although award nights bt t+c have no benefit/upgrade entitlement incidental spend should earn points even on award nights

2. For ease of booking for family, most donors simply search on room for TWO ppn, which alas books in Donors Name, then whilst booking you can click "additional guest link line", the box appears to add one additional guest name

3. IHG are cracking down on reselling of award nights, cetain geograhical countruies/IHGers need to ring IHG up to have "additional Guest" permitted at least 7days before first night of a stay.... read for either Greater China hotels and/or Greater China @reward members
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:37 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond

TIA
Rewards bookings are not changeable in general, in reality they are when it comes to adding names. It's likely you have booked for one, go to the res listing in your profile, click change then increase adults to 2, check for availability and then change the reservation. You then need to get back to profile home page, then click reservations, then your award res and click change, you should now see "add name" as one of the clickable entries.

Don't use the change booking link in the confirmation email, the above process does not work if that link is used.

Last edited by markis10; Jan 29, 2017 at 10:44 pm
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Thanks to both scubaccr and markis10 for the quick reply..

I did put two persons during the booking, but there is no place I can add the second guest name.. scubaccr is spot on about the new Greater China reward policy change.. I called customer care, and confirmed there is no way I can add the 2nd guest name online, but he was able to do it for me AFTER I've provided quite some info about the guest (date of birth, cell number, and last four digit of national id).. The rep. was surprised by the amount of info the system was asking, too..

I will call the hotel later to confirm the guest has indeed been added.. hopefully adding one guest is enough..
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:49 am

Thanks to both scubaccr and markis10 for the quick reply..

I did put two persons during the booking, but there is no place I can add the second guest name.. scubaccr is spot on about the new Greater China reward policy change.. I called customer care, and confirmed there is no way I can add the 2nd guest name online, but he was able to do it for me AFTER I've provided quite some info about the guest (date of birth, cell number, and last four digit of national id).. The rep. was surprised by the amount of info the system was asking, too..

I will call the hotel later to confirm the guest has indeed been added.. hopefully adding one guest is enough..
The main reason to donate award nights correctly via ringing up IHG is so that the correct guest name appears as Main Guest AND IMPORTANTLY the second guest appears as additional Guest.
(Not so critical if donating to a solo guest stay)

You may ask why get both names added to res., as a)Main Guest b)additional guest !

Reason is security etc, as if you as non-named-guest-on-a-reservation then lose room key, lock yourself out leaving keycard in room.... then hotel reception/manager will not facilitate access to room for you.
Even showing ID, eg it is my Husband/wife , hotel's won't let you into room/provide key, as what if other half was staying secretly with a lover etc, hotel could then be sued etc.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:51 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Yes other more recent threads abound on this topic

1. Correct/Official way is for the points donor to ring IHG Helpdesk, go through account verifcation Q+A process, and then book in other persoins name(s)
...End result is helpdesk deduct points from donor account, and makes reservsation in name of provided "Staying Guest"
...Also the IHG Membership Number/Status of staying guest can be added, useful if a higher status than donor. Although award nights bt t+c have no benefit/upgrade entitlement incidental spend should earn points even on award nights....
Relatively new to IHG; be gentle

Is the above still the procedure for booking someone where you don't want your own credit card/name linked to the reservation? (What info will be needed about the guest in order to book?)

Is the "IHG Helpdesk" one number for every elite level, or is there a special line for Platinums?

Any opinion on whether the IHG Twitter folks could do this, so as to avoid a phone call?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd

Is the above still the procedure for booking someone where you don't want your own credit card/name linked to the reservation? (What info will be needed about the guest in order to book?)

Is the "IHG Helpdesk" one number for every elite level, or is there a special line for Platinums?

Any opinion on whether the IHG Twitter folks could do this, so as to avoid a phone call?

Thanks!
It's on the website in a couple of places, once on the virtual assistant and once in the T&Cs. Greater China is the only tricky place where it is essential to phone, for the rest I have booked several times for friends and family using the website, ensure you put 2 people on the reservation then you will be able to add a second name. The only other thing to be wary of is that reward nights requires a credit card guarantee still and there is a slim chance the hotel may ask for the original card, I usually email the hotel in advance to query this.

50. If a third-party beneficiary (instead of the Member who made the relevant booking) intends to check in at any Greater China properties (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan) with a Reward Night, the Member must call the IHG Rewards Club Customer Care Centre no less than 7 days before the Reward Night stay date. Member must provide specific personal details of such third-party beneficiary as requested by SCH for its registration and validation purposes. To change any provided information, the Member must follow the same procedure mentioned above. If the Member fails to provide and/or change the requested information on time or the information provided is not correct for any reason, the third-party beneficiary will not be able to check in at the front desk and the relevant booking will be cancelled. The above requirement for third-party beneficiary check-in applies to all Reward Nights earned through Stays, Points, promotions, or in any other way.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
My suggestion would be to book the room under your name as you did. Then day of check-in or a couple days before call the hotel directly and state that your dad will check-in prior to your arrival. They will ask for his name and perhaps the spelling. This has worked for me multiple times before when the girlfriend and I are coming from separate places but she will arrive before me/wants to use the room to place her belongings in. Your parents should go through the check-in process and the hotel should honor your status.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd

Thanks!

Sorry, award nights will require a CC/DC to guarantee your award booking (eg no show, odd no cancel awards) whether made online or ringing an IHG services helpdesk person

Legally (don't shoot this messenger) you can not provide someone else CC info/number, even if you somehow know it. As such the donor of points is really stuck with providing their own CC details when donating an award night to a n other.....

Possibly ...if you ringup as a pair on same phoneline (or conferenced in) then a)you the donor & b)the recipient on the one call, you can do security to donate points and recipient can confirm details including the recipient CC details

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.