FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Salzburg Crowne Plaza property (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/811891-salzburg-crowne-plaza-property.html)

ges123 Apr 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Salzburg Crowne Plaza property

Did a search but not much new since 2006. How is this property? Looking to book award stay but am base member. Worth purchasing Gold for upgrade or are upgrades not normally given? Do you get free breakfast as Gold? Looking to visit Nov 30th which would be start of Christmas Market.

Thank you

MP (Miles+Points) Apr 12, 2008 2:37 am

I have stayed there last year, there wasn't any upgrade as I remember. The wireless signal in room were so poor, you can't work more than 2 minutes continously. When complainted, they said customers who want to use wireless network should tell them at check in, so they may give a better positioned room. That's "the place to meet" and we need to remember to tell them "I've got a laptop and need to use wireless network" - I don't ever remember I need to declare that at any other hotel.

The room were very dated, although spacious. The bar were very small and really out of date. The good thing about it is that it is centrally located, and easy to walk around the city centre.

Their manager said that they have just been purchased by another company and will start a renovation shortly. I am not sure whether they've done that already, so maybe still a construction site.

I will not recommend that hotel to anyone, unless you plan to spend every minute outside the hotel except sleeping.

Anothersuitcase-anotherhall Apr 12, 2008 4:40 am

I stayed here late last summer, on reward nights, and have to say, on the whole, it was an enjoyable experience. PC Plat and was upgraded to a good sized room and free drink even though booked on Rewards. Hotel was decent enough and staff were very polite and helpful. No free breakfast for membership and not sure that gold will get you much in the way of benefits here, so save your money (Check out other posts on this forum). It's a short 10 min walk (through the gardens featured in Sound of Music) to the historic centre.
Have a great trip, it's a wonderful place.

szg Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm

I never stayed at the Crown Plaza in Salzburg, because I have my own house there ! ;) But I knew from colleagues, that they enjoyed the stay there. It´s very central located (not in the old town).

snshahmd Apr 13, 2008 5:58 pm

It's actually a great location. Just two minute walk from the Mirabell Gardens. Good restaurants and stores around. Salzburg is a small and walkable town. Was given free drinks as gold; big bathrooms. Also, street parking are available.

sultanbinaber Jul 30, 2009 9:59 am

Did anybody stay at this property recently?

This post indicates that there has been some refurbishment in the last months. Is this really the case? Photos on the homepage look rather dated.

I will stay there on pointbreaks (any experience concerning upgrades?) next weekend and would like to make sure that I'll get a refurbished room (if they have some). Thanks for any infos.

Cheers,
Jonathan

szg Jul 30, 2009 3:48 pm

They have new Junior Suites.

sultanbinaber Jul 31, 2009 1:20 am

Sounds good. However, I fear that I'll not get such an upgrade on a pointbreaks stay :p Nevertheless I'll mail them and ask for a refurbished room...let's see what will happen :rolleyes:

lemieux66 Jul 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Junior suites are very nice for a CP.
They just seem to have some problemes concerning the room-cleaning, as we had to experience on our 3 last stays.

sultanbinaber Aug 3, 2009 2:54 am

I sent them an email asking for a refurbished room (in general, not for a junior suite especially) and got the following reply (sorry, in german only):

Sehr geehrter Herr sultanbinaber,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.
Gerne teilen wir Ihnen mit, dass unsere Zimmer alle die gleichen Standarts haben,
wir Ihnen jedoch nach Möglichkeit und Verfügbarkeit gerne ein gratis Upgrade zu einer grösseren Zimmerkategorie geben.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Quick translation: He says all of the rooms meet the same standards.

How many new junior suites are there? Maybe he just didn't know there are some refurbished ones?

And, of course, in german 'Standard' is also written with two 'd' :D

yann Aug 4, 2009 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by snshahmd (Post 9566265)
[...] Also, street parking are available.

How much would street parking cost and how long can one stay there ?

Any suggestions with regards to parking in Salzburg (esp. in August) ?

Thanks,
Yann

lemieux66 Aug 4, 2009 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by yann (Post 12175390)
How much would street parking cost and how long can one stay there ?

Thanks,
Yann

If I remember right, street parking next to the hotel is free on weekends (from Fri, 8pm - Mon 8am) and is a pretty small amount per hour. I guess it was 50 Cent / h or so.
Don´t remember how long you can park officially, but normally you won´t get a ticket as long as a feed the vending machine.

szg Aug 4, 2009 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by yann (Post 12175390)

Thanks,
Yann

take a look here:

http://www.salzburg.info/en/arrival_...n_salzburg.htm

szg Aug 4, 2009 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by lemieux66 (Post 12175481)
If I remember right, street parking next to the hotel is free on weekends (from Fri, 8pm - Mon 8am) and is a pretty small amount per hour. I guess it was 50 Cent / h or so.
Don´t remember how long you can park officially, but normally you won´t get a ticket as long as a feed the vending machine.

28 minutes costs 50 Cent.

Alf Aug 5, 2009 2:01 am

CP Salzburg - The Pitter

I stayed there six times over the last four years as a Platinum member.
Made reservations for different room types (always on Best Flexible rate) and never received an upgrade.
Also I never received a welcome gift (fruits, water...) or any other kind of status recognition.

The hotel doesn't have an own garage but an agreement with a public garage approx. 200 meters away.
This can be annoying if you have a lot of luggage with you or if it's raining outside.
I never had a chance to get a free parking slot outside anywhere next to the hotel.

However I found an interesting alternative in Anif. The hotel is called Friesacher Hof. You will drive through Anif if you come from the German highway and are driving towards Salzburg. The hotel Friesacher Hof has wonderful Junior Suites (big, luxurious, great bathroom with tub and rainfall showers, some have an own dressing room, some have 2 LCDs - one next to the bed and one next to the sitting area). Breakfast is included in their rates, garage was included as well on my stays and if you are travelling alone (business purpose) you only pay half the room rate. So for my Junior Suite I always paid something between 100 and 120 Euro per night incl. breakfast and garage. I'd absolutely rate it a five star hotel with much better service and amenities (also pool, massage...) as the CP Salzburg.

Cheers, Alf