IC Muscat / Oman - Master Thread

Old Apr 6, 08, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba miles
IC Muscat / Oman - Master Thread

has anyone ever stayed at the IC in Oman? thinking of booking for end of February, but can't get any prices at the moment
Old Apr 7, 08, 1:31 am

Programs: IC - Plat Ambassador, HH - G, AA - G, VS -G RJ - S, EK
Which one - there are two. One in Muscat and the Al Bustan Palace which is a little out of Muscat although the latter is closed at the moment for a major makeover which could account for why you cannot get prices.
Muscat IC is on the beach yet convenient for the city. It's not especially big but has a reasonable lounge and some good F+B outlets.
The Al Bustan is bigger and has very attractive grounds - last time I stayed there it was a nice property but since they have just spent two years remodelling it would be foolish of me to say too much as I am sure it will be a different hotel when it reopens.
Old Apr 7, 08, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba miles
I think Al Bustan Palace because it is having an uplift, however, it may depend on the price, does anyone have any idea when it will be opening to book?

thanks
Old Apr 15, 08, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
The IC is a great hotel in a good position, on the beach on the way into Rui/Muscat with a number of restaurants around.

Al Bustan is spectacular but isolated, out beyond the city. Towards the end of its earlier incarnation it was something a magnet for tour groups, particularly German-speaking ones.
Old Apr 15, 08, 5:20 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Stayed last year at the IC near the airport. It was a great stay, nice hotel, nice upgrade for an RA and the concierge has booked a lot of nice tours for us. ^
Old Apr 18, 08, 5:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
Stayed a few weeks ago at the IC Muscat and had a lovely time. Very nice room with sea view and very helpful staff etc..

Al Bustan still not open and looking like the middle of 2008
Old May 13, 08, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
I enjoyed the IC Muscat - good position on the beach and convenient for getting places. Nice pool area and grounds (but in Jan it was too cool to swim). Very nice Club lounge (booked) and got an upgrade to a sea view as Ambassador. Initially got a back room for 1 night (last minute booking) and would not recommend it - loads of building going on and very unattractive views of noisy construction sites. Some good restaurant choices (excellent Sunday buffet brunch, for example, and a good Italian place) and some options in the small, nearby shopping centre.

Bottom line: would go back anytime provide I got sea view and club access. Otherwise I'd rather go to the Shangri La - or maybe the Al Bustan, but I only saw that from the outside so can't comment.
Old May 26, 09, 3:58 am

Programs: LH HON, PC RA
IC Muscat

One of the nicest facilities of the IC group.

Rather old building and the most modern achitecture and design, but with a beautiful garden and huge pool area directly situated at the beach.
If you have the time on a business trip to relax, this is the place to be.
Very clean, never too crowded, friendly and helpful staff.

Gym is big and has modern equipment. Kind of crowded sometimes, as it is also a private health club for locals with membership card.

The rooms are okay, not to big though. But if you get a room with sea view it is awesome.

Club Lounge is rather small, but offers a nice breakfast. Never made the Happy Hour though.

Restaurants and Bar are nice if you don't want to go out.
Old May 26, 09, 4:55 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Thanks for the head up, I'll be in Muscat later this year. I'm so fed up with the Golden Tulip in Seeb, this will be a welcome change!
Old May 26, 09, 5:16 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
I also enjoyed last year my stay at the IC Muscat. The have a large swimming pool outside.
Old Mar 12, 10, 6:28 am

Any recent RA experiences with the IC Muscat?

We are planing our Easter vacation in Muscat and I am wondering if any one has a recent (RA) experience in the Muscat IC?
Old Mar 12, 10, 7:42 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I stayed there last December, good Ambassador recognition, nice sea-view room upgrade - I'd guess RA's fare even better.

The hotel itself is very nice and is a "wet" establishment, ie. you can have beer and wine (not sure about liqueurs)
Old Mar 13, 10, 9:20 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
I just stayed there two weeks ago. It was ok; a bit run-down, similar to the Grand Hyatt down the block though not as grandiose. As RA I was given club access (and a "sea view" room on club floor) and free breakfast, though I didn't use either. Check-in at the club was slow. Check-out was OK, though when I asked them to remove the mini-bar charges because I was RA, they first hesitated and then asked to see my membership card -- even though I made the reservation on the internet and they acknowledged my status, and upgraded me as a result, upon check-in. I didn't have my card and solved it quickly enough; a minor issue, of course, but one of those frustrating examples of disengaged service.

The rooms are typical of the older-style ICs in the region (e.g., Amman, Bahrain, Riyadh, Dubai before it converted to the Radisson SAS, Doha to a lesser extent) -- kind of worn carpet, old furniture, and a basic bathroom, in this case with a tub/shower combination. The terrace was a plus.

The pool area is large and nice. There are two pools, one covered with a canopy for shade. They also have a huge grassy area on which to sit. The hotel, also like the Hyatt, is along the coast, but the beach is public, so you exit the hotel property through a gate, a break in the tall hedge that bounds the property, to get to the beach.

The hotel features Trader Vics, which is always kind of fun, among a handful of restaurants. Like most upscale places in Muscat, all manner of alcohol is easily available and fairly expensive.
Old Mar 13, 10, 11:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
Haven't stayed for a year or so, so not sure if this qualifies as recent. Took my future in-laws there for a weekend and both rooms were upgraded to sea-view club rooms, which are considerably nicer than the standard rooms. Welcome gift was a box of local perfumed soaps and a bottle of red wine. No problems with the free mini-bar.
Old Mar 14, 10, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by ndegen View Post
We are planing our Easter vacation in Muscat and I am wondering if any one has a recent (RA) experience in the Muscat IC?
It's one of my favourites. It has some great staff and it's in a terrific position next to the beach with an extensive pool/garden complex. Oman is not a budget destination, but if costs are a consideration, there are good cafes and restaurants in the shopping centre in front of the hotel.

One downside is that the hotel seems to have over-sold membership to the leisure/fitness complex, so the pool and gym can get crowded at the weekend and at key times during the week.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: