IC Amstel Amsterdam Master Thread [merged]

Old Sep 16, 20, 1:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Some nice room pics/reviews Ive always heard great things about Amstel. Perhaps Iíll get the chance to try it out myself one.

Those Agaria toiletries are truly dreadful though I think IC need to rethink.

I also found hygiene stick an interesting way of describing it

Last edited by TGLoyalty; Sep 16, 20 at 2:14 pm
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:38 pm

Programs: LH SEN|-IHG spire/RA -- Azurite collector +
Amstel restaurant

In the past the IC AMS offered two restaurants; the casual bistro and next to it the fancy formal La Rive. I've tried both pre-Covid19 and while both of them offered in the summer the riverside terrace dining, the price was very hefty! As in really ridiculous hefty!

Because of the present Covid19 situation the hotel has decided to suspend La Rive and combine both dining areas under 1 new concept of the Amstel Restaurant. I am glad to report that prices are much more managable then before. Service is still being provided by the La Rive staff and is still engaging but without being snooty or pretentious. A major pet peeve of mine is when table waters are offered but still are at room temperature when poured. Looking at you: restaurant Duchess at W Amsterdam which offers upon arrival the choice of table waters but serves them unchillled..... when asking for a cold one, they replied to put icecubes in. It can't be that hard to have in the kitchen a fridge with stacked chilled bottles to use and offer to guests? ( sorry 1st world problem). At the Amstel restaurant fortunately the waters are served chilled and kept in ice coollers at the table but for those wishing them at room temperature they also offer them unchilled.

Amstel restaurant hosts a max of 36 persons so enough space for social distancing

Yes! Table water kept cool! (Tap water is also available

The present manager Floris is chatty and knowledgable of the ingredients used in the preperations of the food. We had discussed several food allergies and he managed to relay this to both chefs Reinoud & Michael who managed to make adaptations to the presentation and preperation of the dishes that suited our preferences. Attendants Ted, Coen, Yasin and Jordy made sure our waters where kept topped up and our wine glasses filled when the dishes arrived. With a maximum of only 36 guests in the restaurant due to Covid19 regulations, service wasn't rushed at all and was at a nice pace to enjoy the meal and have meaningful conversations.

Some background information in the local newspapers about the new concept and focus of the Amstel restaurant:
(in Dutch only)
https://www.telegraaf.nl/financieel/...aurant-la-rive
https://www.parool.nl/ps/hernieuwde-...otel~bc34a065/

We ate twice in the restaurant, once trying ŗ la carte and the other visit the menu du jour. Floris told us this changes monthly.

Here are the photos of the ŗ la carte food items:

Boudeuse Oysters

Steak Tartare ( egg cooked at 64 degrees - the meat slightly smoked)

Salade NiÁoise with tuna

Runder sukade = braised steak ( signature dish according to Parool newspaper)

Dover sole (Whole fish but upon request can be served filet)

Spanish coffee with real fresh cream (Not from a spraycan)

The Amstel restaurant also offers a menu du jour option.
This is a three or four course surprise menu but can be adapted confirming wishes or dietary requirements.
In september the offering was as followed:

First course: Hamachi with tapioca soy

Second course: Pulpo (octopus) with pumpkin, chorizo and bell pepper

Third course: Suckling pig on bean cassoulet

Fourth course: Dessert of mascarpone with blackberry and lime

Although taste is subjective, i can say the portions were remarkable of taste and the serving enough.
Atacama40 and TGLoyalty like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 16, 20 at 2:26 pm
Old Sep 16, 20, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty View Post
Some nice room pics/reviews Ive always heard great things about Amstel. Perhaps Iíll get the chance to try it out myself - I also found hygiene stick an interesting way of describing it
Thank you for kind comments, and yes it is difficult to describe that stick without being banned here for indecency
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 12:31 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HadesNL View Post
Am glad you liked your stay, it is great knowing a fellow RA can appreciate the place and that the hotel exceeds your expectations! The service is indeed second to none when it comes to Dutch hospitality.
I have two more stays booked. Itís great to have a full luxury option while Paris and London Park Lane are closed.

How is the RA treatment these days? Minibar and free breakfast? Or any extras?

Covid times - I got a great twin pack of hotel-branded face masks and a beautiful smelling hand sanitiser last time.
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post
How is the RA treatment these days? Minibar and free breakfast? Or any extras?
Covid times - I got a great twin pack of hotel-branded face masks and a beautiful smelling hand sanitiser last time.
Great you are also a recurring guest at Parklane and ParisLeGrand! These are some of my favorite haunts too!
Didn't i see you at the old PLG level 5 lounge during opera season? We were there with Nina Hagen, next time beers on us
Indeed the IC Ams is for IHG the best classic full service luxury option in Amsterdam, that at least still offers ellegance and thoughtfull touches during covid19. I find it ranking equal in stature and society gathering to Parklane and PLG, but it has the edge in bigger room then Parklane and not as massive in amount of rooms and corridors as PLG.

I can report that there is absolutely no problem with the hotel adhering to RA bennies:
- provided you let them know in advance for uncertainty avoidance, for RA early / late checkin/out is no problem (unlike the yoyo that is Marriott using covid as an excuse to not guarantee anything)
- minibar both alcoholic and non alcoholic is stocked and ready for consumption per usual RA allowance, it is also being restocked during the stay, so you won't go dry!
- the 2 complimentary big glass Evian bottled waters is replenished at turndown
- the breakfast setmenu is still inclusive for RA
- welcome ambassador gift is a plate of fresh strawberries and/or stroopwafels
* daily housekeeping and turndown + room service is back!

I didn't know the hotel had true branded IC Ams face masks untill the headcongierge mr. Aad helped us out in a fix when we had booked an impromptu uber to go shopping but we forgot our masks. He gave us some snazzy looking ones, i like the deep aqua blue with the hotel's crest. You mentioned hotel branded sanitizers? Well i'm due for an extended long stay during the festive season at the hotel so i politely inquired with miss Elisabeth if those were available for my upcoming stay. Handy to have with the uncertainty of the wintery season. I'm kinda of weak against IC memorabla anyway, having at home some worldwide IC objects for daily use but with fond memories of each hotel visit.

Some extra thoughtfull touches (maybe because we had so many consecutive stays and as recurring guests?)
- Mr. Marcos, the house photographer, surprised us with the delightful offering to make us a complimentary HD portrait photo on the grand staircase
- the Amstel restaurant dining team surprised us with a thoughtful cupcake and candle for my guest's anniversary
- Miss Nazha from reception remembered my comments on their signature house scent from a previous stay and surprised us on one of our stays with a sample vial

I've just wrapped up a stay while also booking an event by hiring their private boat for a social excursion. I'll sort the pictures and post next week our experiences. Although we have at present an Indian sumner, it will be over soon and hopefully our boating experience might benefit other FTers for spring and summer 2021.

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 19, 20 at 9:42 am
Old Sep 21, 20, 1:39 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HadesNL View Post
Great you are also a recurring guest at Parklane and ParisLeGrand! These are some of my favorite haunts too!
Didn't i see you at the old PLG level 5 lounge during opera season? We were there with Nina Hagen, next time beers on us
Sadly that was not me. Despite many evenings spent entirely in the lounge at PLG I have never - knowingly - met another Flyertalk RA.

And the fact that I know of Nina Hagen only from an Intercontinental Club Lounge suggests to me that I was not wild enough as a youngster,

The face masks at Amstel are the ones you refer to, the hand sanitiser is not hotel branded but was included in the pack.

On my most recent stay, I was lucky enough to be granted a room with the wooden entry cards. My love for this place increases every stay.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: