Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I have this picture of the service cart in the room corridor.

I can't say if these champagne / strawberries were in this covid period:
1) pre-ordered in advance (maybe at booking)?
2) the hotel amenity for birthday / wedding?
3) specially for the VVVIP staying?

* in the past i was lucky to receive this on honeymoon occasion

This is the cart

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 8, 2020 at 3:00 am
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by HadesNL
@ Stimpy: we have another rewards booking this weekend and a revenue booking in august - i'll ask if it is possible to stock or request the minibar contents. I assume 1) because this was the first week the hotel was open, management is still tweaking the procedures and offerings while being compliant with RIVD Horeca (department of public health and its dreaded fine structure). They can shut the place down in 1 swoop inspection which would badly hurt their image and public perspective on hygiene. 2) the hotel is now focused on the domestic local Dutch clientele who in a frugal mindset might totally not be remotely interested in inflated minibar prices of which the contents might be gotten much cheaper at the albert heijn supermarket.

@ Ninjalad: the kettle is still there! If i can't have a spot of tea, i would go bananas!

@ Atacama40: Staying at IC AMS during covid19 can be a hit or a dissapointment dependent on what your intentions and needs are. I insist strongly that all expectations must be adjusted because of the deceptive lure of covid19 and its ability to be a jack-in-the-box.

Personally i would rather stay at this hotel then at a cheaper lower class or even boutique hotels in Amsterdam, due to the fact that many many many locals are now staying at Amsterdam at special staycation package rates which most of the time fills up the big standard room inventory of hotels, which means a higher turnover of guests in those rooms, which might strain the housekeeping cleaning resources and significantly increase guest surface covid19 contact moments. The big big big pro is that at IC AMS the windows may be fully opened for fresh air while at hotels like the W Amsterdam the windows can't be opened and one is heavily dependent on the airconditioning unit. My main covid19 concern is focused on: are those units regularly cleaned, filtered, maintained and is the airflow stagnant of previous guests stench, odor, or covid. Precovid I once refused a room at the W due to doubtfull cleaning and fled back to IC Ams.

Another point and main negative (which may insult certain groups) is that hotel rates and the cheaper staycation packages have attracted a very different clientele then normal. Some hotel prioritize revenue and won't deal with these matters as long as money keeps coming in. Due to these cheaper rates; those not accustomed to luxury hotels, common sense and intelligence are also now being able to stay at certain hotels to satisfy their curiosity and instagrammable monetary worth. Absolutly mortifying were a couple walking on those flimsy white hotel slippers while entering the public breakfast area, it was the day before even worse when said couple and a bunch of their mates were crossing the lobby in their bathrobes and white slippers to the pool area and stopped to take instragram pictures on the grand staircase. Fortunatly the staff handled this well and directed them to the pool while instructing them to use the handsanatizers and to warn them of the hazzard of slipping and that changing clothes is preffered to be done at the pool area. If those ignorant people have decorum deficiency in IC AMS, they are being corrected by the staff but maybe at a less well-run or desinterested hotel the covid and social standards could be slipping or failing.

The service standards and dedication of covid19 hygiene precautions at IC AMS are very commendable,
- housekeeping turndown service was planned in advance with us to make sure the room was empty so no contact risk
- bell boy disinfected all luggage handles before handing over the suitcases

From a covid19 perspective i can fully recommend this hotel for peace of mind.

However if you look at the (royal) ambassaor benefits and hotel amenities and if you were a previous guest you will notice that many things have been toned down or changed.

You will be happy if you expect:
- a quiet location
- a big room
- good cleaning standards and mindfullness of covid19
- well trained polite friendly empowered staff
- a refined hotel ambience
- the ability to avail yourself to the bar, afternoon tea, restaurant or pool

You will be unhappy staying here if you didn't expect:
- you must leave your room during houskeeping cleaning
- you can't have room service
- you can't grab a drink out of the mini bar
- no drinks chit (because of capacity controlled bar maybe?)

Hope this clarifies my views, please let me know if you have more questions because i can try to get them answered when i stay again next week. I will report if there are any changes between past and more upcoming future stays.
First class and highly useful assessment sir. Appreciated.

As you well mention, IC AMS specifically and indeed RA for many, can be variable at the best of times and so this extra layer of variability is important to get an understanding of how to get the best out of the experience and avoid frustration ... for the hotel as well I guess.

Have to say I'd quite fancy a local staycation at IC AMS myself right now. Ams was my weekly fly to for over 10 years and still enjoy the hotel and city a lot.

Many thanks again for the excellent summary. Will be interesting to see such detail assessments for the other IC majors in the coming days from knowledgeable folks.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
@ atacama40: Thank you for your praise - especially now during covid19 one must be aware of changes good or bad for the best value proposition x safety.
I feel much better to share the experience so people can make an informed choice.

On a personal note to you, i forgot to thank you for your kind words on the IC Bucharest thread, i hope your stay went well and your wife and friends enjoyed the hotel?

Next time we're both at IC AMS, we need to compare our RA-bennies but beers will be on me provided we do 1,5 m social distancing
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:57 am

@ atacama40: Thank you for your praise - especially now during covid19 one must be aware of changes good or bad for the best value proposition x safety.
I feel much better to share the experience so people can make an informed choice.

On a personal note to you, i forgot to thank you for your kind words on the IC Bucharest thread, i hope your stay went well and your wife and friends enjoyed the hotel?

Next time we're both at IC AMS, we need to compare our RA-bennies but beers will be on me provided we do 1,5 m social distancing
I will hold you to that one, ... a Dutch man offering free beer!!!! A collectors item you are sir :-) .... my team in the Netherlands had a reputation for being, how shall we say? Frugal. Is a polite way to say it :-) No the reality was quite different in fact but gave me an opportunity to play to a stereotype :-) Apols for the cheap gag and yes that would be fun for sure.

Bucharest unfortunately did not go ahead due to the new normal. But will be revisited for sure.A shame as was a rare new territory for me and was surprised and pleased with IC Sofia opening week and city the year before.

Why surprised? I have no idea but it was the case. Same as I avoided China trips for so many years in the past as I had a stupid false mental image of how grey and miserable I perceived it to be. So many trips later I know a lot better of course. Strange how we develop these mental pictures of some places.

Strangely I've not had the refund from Bucharest yet. Hotel does appear be fully shut. Staff have been apologetic, are communicating and I'm sure it will come at some point.

No it's a strange one Hades, we all swap stories and nuances ... how many minibars, what type of champagne, how black the hotel limo was etc and it's great data and fun to do. And helps us appreciate the best out of experiences. But this is different and even given my slightly too laid back approach to life, travel and things, this is of course very important stuff. If not for us, for others.

Off topic but I had to make a trip to SA in 2018 with a large family group. The subject of vaccinations etc came up pre trip. Of course they turned to me for answers given my travel profile for the last way too many decades. And I realised I knew absolutely .... nothing! Worse still, I'd done absolutely nothing over those 30 odd years. True to say in the main the places I travel to, the worst damage one might get is a misdirected air vent at the front of a 777, a cut hand on a cracked bottle of Petrus or a graze from a mere 200 thread count bath towel :-)

But then when I stood back and thought. I'd actually been to some high risk hell holes many times and not really appreciated it. One visit to a Pharmacist who works with my wife later ... some stairs of utter and total disbelief at me and I had a long series of shots and tops ups to take. Which I promptly did, everything and anything. And continue to. The lot! I went through all the places and discussed at length. And this guy (a very smart, rational, non emotive type) who indeed comes from a higher risk area of Vietnam gave me chapter and verse what can ... and sometimes does happen.

So I now take a more grown up view on the Covid thing without the paranoia and fear. It's to be treated seriously for sure.

So to get a real understanding and physical snap shot of the 'reality' is really interesting and important. And indeed snap shot in the literal sense as you do ... seeing the pictures eliminates poor understanding and short cuts to the core with 'what is and what is not'. Is really good and genuinely helpful. And nice to see the Amstel inside again.

Until that time. Cheers
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:38 am

Coming live from IC AMS

@ stimpy / ninjalad / atacama40 / donpedro
As you guys were curious about getting the minibar benefits for Royal Ambassador,
I've asked the reception at checkin and the reply is that it is uncertain when regular minibar service will resume.
However the friendly lady said that if a RA so wishes a certain drink, it is possible to phone reception and ask for its availability.
If so then it is possible to be delivered to the room.
Bare in mind i asked this when she knew my booking was paid with points, so it will definetly be possible when booking revenue.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 10, 2020 at 8:52 am
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:51 am

Executive suite city view - 203

Some observations:
- suite is in the corner and although it looks out on the square, there is a partial view of the river from the bedroom
- for those that need rest, this suite is very quiet
- faces sunrise
- no connecting door
- bigger sofa (seats 3)
- Anne Semonin toiletries
- illy capsules coffee machine + watercooker
- interactive smart tv (you can watch youtube, your bill, the f&b oulet's menus)
- similair floorplan as the executive suites with river view on level 2 and 3
some pictures

Entrance vestibule

Floorplan and location

Living room with extra bed

Bedroom

Living room and desk

Closet space bedroom

Bathtub fills up in 2 minutes

Toilet with hygiene stick

Shower and sink in bathroom

View from bedroom

View from living room

Amenities
Atacama40 and DonPedro like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 10, 2020 at 11:26 pm
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:04 am

Riverside terrace lower level b-1

Situated almost at waterlevel, directly where the pleasure boats and the hotel boat are docked, you can now have breakfast alfresco riverside. Social distancing is enforced by spacing the tables. And lovely view not disturbed by mosquitos!

With awning a nice place in the shade

Without awning a nice place in the sun
Old Jul 11, 2020, 9:57 am

Afternoon tea

This is our experience with the afternoon tea service. Due to crowd control this is held in the mirror ballroom in the weekend but in the conservatory on weekdays. Pricing is dependent on add-on of champers or proseco. Different teas are served and topped up at every course. Can report the scone comes fresh out of the oven!

1st stage

2nd stage

3rd stage with afterwards the scones

Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:19 am

Social distancing at the swimming pool

Had a look today at the swimming pool, it looks all neat and clean. As you can see, swimming is allowed but seperated by lane to maintain 1,5m distance. Please be reminded that one also needs to reserve a timeslot to use the health club/gym (has a great view of the river too)

Swimming pool on level b-1

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 13, 2020 at 3:29 am
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the great review and pics. I have a staycation booked with wife and son at the Amstel and the next day at the Sofitel Legend The Grand, for next mid-week. Will see how they compare. I remember a reward nights stay at the Amstel around 10 years ago and I was not impressed with the service back then. I remember it took 2 calls and a visit to the FD to get a bar of soap/handwash (in addition to other minor service failures). Hopefully this will be a better stay.
One question: the package includes a concierge city tour. Any info on that? Will need to decide to do that or give it a miss.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by janwillem
Thanks for the great review and pics........One question: the package includes a concierge city tour. Any info on that? Will need to decide to do that or give it a miss.
Glad to help out!
Unfortunately we've booked our stays directly via IHG's website and not via the third party staycation website, so i can't comment on the congierge city tour. I think you might better email them in advance to let them also your interests and if needed the timeslot for the event to avoid disappointment. The direct email for reservations is [email protected] - don't forget to include your booking reference.

Please let us know how it went!
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Glad to help out!
Unfortunately we've booked our stays directly via IHG's website and not via the third party staycation website, so i can't comment on the congierge city tour. I think you might better email them in advance to let them also your interests and if needed the timeslot for the event to avoid disappointment. The direct email for reservations is [email protected] - don't forget to include your booking reference.

Please let us know how it went!
I will, thanks. I know Amsterdam pretty well as a Dutch but my Chinese wife may find it interesting. Actually that staycation website does not allow direct bookings. It just links to an email form to the hotel so I made the booking directly with the hotel, had my ihg platinum added etc and it now shows up in my reservations on the ihg website, earn points etc I think it's a pretty sweet deal overall.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:42 am

Thanks for the clarification, enjoy your stay!
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:00 pm
B42

Programs: IC,KLM,Marriott,LHW,HHonors
You will be unhappy staying here if you didn't expect:
- you can't have room service

Hope this clarifies my views, please let me know if you have more questions because i can try to get them answered when i stay again. I will report if there are any changes between past and more upcoming future stays.
Is it possible to order breakfast in your room yet? I don’t understand why roomservice is not available. Other hotels are offering in room service even more since Covid-19
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by B42
Is it possible to order breakfast in your room yet? I don’t understand why roomservice is not available. Other hotels are offering in room service even more since Covid-19
True. I had room service breakfast recently at the IC Lyon which was exactly the same as before COVID. Only the server wore a mask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.