Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Can I be totally honest? I felt a bit guilty, on my recent award night as an AMB, that I was upgraded from street to a big river view room whilst guests paying €600 a night couldn't even see out of their windows as they were covered for the renovation.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Raffles
Can I be totally honest? I felt a bit guilty, on my recent award night as an AMB, that I was upgraded from street to a big river view room whilst guests paying €600 a night couldn't even see out of their windows as they were covered for the renovation.
Honest, but unkind
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Not quite sure what the fuss is about. I've had 3 reward stays this year (and 3 more to come) with generous upgrades so far, depending on availability i've had, 4th floor Executive Suite with River View, Penthouse Suite with River View and 3rd floor Junior Suite with canal and river view.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Stealthmode
Not quite sure what the fuss is about. I've had 3 reward stays this year (and 3 more to come) with generous upgrades so far, depending on availability i've had, 4th floor Executive Suite with River View, Penthouse Suite with River View and 3rd floor Junior Suite with canal and river view.
I can only report my actual experience in Aug2017, the accompanying statement by the DutyManager (DM) who checked me in and showed me to a non upgraded room

If they will treat a regular repeat guest with 8paid nights in last 7months , and RA to boot, like that, how the hell will Amstel treat
i)non-RA Ambassador
AND
ii)non-Regular, non repeating guest
OR
iii)Guest thast only stays on award nights
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by scubaccr
I can only report my actual experience in Aug2017, the accompanying statement by the DutyManager (DM) who checked me in and showed me to a non upgraded room

If they will treat a regular repeat guest with 8paid nights in last 7months , and RA to boot, like that, how the hell will Amstel treat
i)non-RA Ambassador
AND
ii)non-Regular, non repeating guest
OR
iii)Guest thast only stays on award nights
Have you considered that the policy may only apply to you?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: Plat Amb
Service downhill - shortterm mindset

As a RA, can confirm scubaccr's experience.

Because I made use of the BPG for this stay, they are refusing RA benefits.

Didn't even receive AMB amenities (which they consistently fail to deliver).

Room was not ready at 4PM. No upgrade.

They make it very clear to treat me as a second tier guest.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Eltham
Have you considered that the policy may only apply to you?
That's a really stupid comment from you, do you have any IHG Status ?

Feel free to stay on an award night and be vert dissapointed

This is a recent change of policy at Amstel

The whole point of FT is to alert other FT readers to such detrimental changes by the hotel.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by ORDroad
As a RA, can confirm scubaccr's experience.

Because I made use of the BPG for this stay, they are refusing RA benefits.

Didn't even receive AMB amenities (which they consistently fail to deliver).

Room was not ready at 4PM. No upgrade.

They make it very clear to treat me as a second tier guest.
BPG nights are by IHG t+c for BPG to count as if a paid qualifying night for the guest.

As such all RA benefits, full +2cat minimum upgrade, Club Lounge/Experience are guaranteed .

You need to escalate to Ambassador Services and seek compensation. As an RA I'd be asking for 50k points, (the points needed for an award at Amstel)

I wonder, did you stay whilst Anita was of her 3week summer vacation around July 24th -Aug 10th period ?

I found the new(ish) member of Amstel team who was the Duty Manager, poor and DM appeared delighted (rather than apologetic) to inform me I can't have the upgrade on an award night and that further Amstel policy is Amstel don't give any upgrades on award nights.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: IHG
BPG nights are by IHG t+c for BPG to count as if a paid qualifying night for the guest.

As such all RA benefits, full +2cat minimum upgrade, Club Lounge/Experience are guaranteed .

You need to escalate to Ambassador Services and seek compensation. As an RA I'd be asking for 50k points, (the points needed for an award at Amstel)

I wonder, did you stay whilst Anita was of her 3week summer vacation around July 24th -Aug 10th period ?

I found the new(ish) member of Amstel team who was the Duty Manager, poor and DM appeared delighted (rather than apologetic) to inform me I can't have the upgrade on an award night and that further Amstel policy is Amstel don't give any upgrades on award nights.
Have you contacted Anita Bos about the new policy?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by turner32
Have you contacted Anita Bos about the new policy?
Not yet, Anita should be back from her vacation by now. I thought I'd give a week or two for Anita to reach out to me
(assuming the DM didn't hide the complaints I left on the two Jul+Aug stays)
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Should they be offering the option of drinks vouchers for spires rather than autocrediting 600 points? I had to push for drink vouchers when checking in yesterday.

Having a better experience than my last stay despite dinner in la rive being painfully slow last night (took over 3 hours). The new club experience makes a big difference.
Zhaunk likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
That's a really stupid comment from you, do you have any IHG Status ?

Feel free to stay on an award night and be vert dissapointed

This is a recent change of policy at Amstel

The whole point of FT is to alert other FT readers to such detrimental changes by the hotel.
It seems others have had different (better) experiences than you, so it would indicate that there may be some variation in the "policy".

Thanks for the permission to stay on an award night, much appreciated. Can I use your points?

I wasn't aware that the whole point of FT is to alert others to detrimental experiences. I find it useful for other purposes.

Based on your posts, and the contradictory treatment of others at Amstel, I just wondered whether IC's had swapped notes about your DYKWIA behaviour and the Amstel reacted accordingly. Just a thought...

Oh, I'm RA by the way, and I find being pleasant and polite goes a long way.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Well I spoke too soon, day 2 and I am being told that the club life drinks in A bar are limited to 2 per person per day. That is not documented anywhere and I am beginning to think they are making it up as they go along.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:59 am

Was the manager you spoke with Mr J?

That was the one who invented the exclusion for RA club benefits on BPG.

I called AMB services regarding this earlier this week. They are still trying to get into contact with the hotel. I suggest you also log the issue with AMB services.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:01 am

Btw. Did you receive any in room amenities?

Ironically they left me a survey to fill out on their Club Experience...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.