Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
Would have gone for a reward at 40k and chanced my arm for a good upgrade!

When I was there recently check-in was a breeze, no-one else about, sat down at a desk and done in 5 minutes. All paperwork ready despite only booking it 4 hours earlier.
There was no one else around when I checked in either, it took the check in person that long to sort out check in. I probably didn't help this by querying the GBP charge base on the pre-auth or the room type but still it took far too long.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:56 am
Suspended

Just got an email regarding a new promo: buy 2 nights get the 3rd half off (includes: breakfast, early/late check-in/check-out, complimentary 1 cat. upgrade, fruit/water in room, free ticket to either Rijk or Hermitage or a boat tour). Not sure if this is aimed at Virtuoso advisors and their clients or its a public offer. I got the offer in my personal, not work, email...which makes me think it may be public. Anyone get this in their inbox this morning?

EDIT: promo valid from Nov. 1 to March 31 2015.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Had a recent stay here, booked well ahead, as an Amstel regular I know no upgrades higher than King Suite River no matter what one books. With hotel sold out well ahead my usual Suite showed up allocated 6months out 2days after i reserved.

As I would need checkin late, checkout early I was thinking hard about canceling, when 9am day before stay (cancelation 4pm that day) I checked online and saw extra upgrade to "PRESIDENTIAL BUSINESS SUITE RIVER VIEW" (3rd best after Royal and Dom Perignon Suites Rooms) so decided to stick with it only due to the Pres Suite showing as I'd never pay double normal Suite for same size Pres Suite, which is exactly the same but has momento/photoss of the famous guests, including presidents, who have stayed at IC Amstel.

Annoyingly between 1230- 13.30 on the day was downgraded to Penthouse City View. I don't like the penthouses, I immediately at 1330 rang to say I don't want and would rather have my original normal 2room suites with nice windows, loads of light, not the two small dark rooms that make up penthouse. I was told no that was now my room and no normal suites available and I was still be upgraded. (Come on it was only 2pm ! )
(12months ago Suites + Penthouses were priced equally, it is only this year amstel charges more for Penthouses)

Really pissed off with my room allocation and how Amstel handled this for a regular, very dark in living room is not to my liking, my Amstel profile says not to give me the P/House and I lalso ost my River view too.

Hotel was almost full night before, I was kind not to turn up early, ++ I guess others arrived early and got comped the room allocated to me as I did not turn up at 8am for early RA checkin.

I can't blame new owners, it is still same management, but I am not happy about losing a river view , and some of the better riverview J/suites work better for me than a penthouse.

Now wondering if I can no longer trust Amstel and should cancel my other bookings , as the IC Amstel terms is cancel 4pm day before not on the day, and to be very honest if I could have, I would hsave cancelled rather than stay in the Penthouse.

Last edited by scubaccr; Oct 2, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Now wondering if I can no longer trust Amstel and should cancel my other bookings , as the IC Amstel terms is cancel 4pm day before not on the day, and to be very honest if I could have, I would hsave cancelled rather than stay in the Penthouse.
I always book the cheapest rate and go a nice corner suite at Amstel.

Have you told anything about your disappointment at check-out? I am sure they will handle the situation very well for your next reservation,
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:31 pm

Just stayed at the Amstel for 1 night on points - nice upgrade to an Executive Riverview Suite - corner towards the bridge.nwe were very happy. Only disappointment was that there was an award event which took over the whole ground floor which meant we couldn't enjoy the public spaces on our first evening.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Had a recent stay here, booked well ahead, as an Amstel regular I know no upgrades higher than King Suite River no matter what one books. With hotel sold out well ahead my usual Suite showed up allocated 6months out 2days after i reserved.

As I would need checkin late, checkout early I was thinking hard about canceling, when 9am day before stay (cancelation 4pm that day) I checked online and saw extra upgrade to "PRESIDENTIAL BUSINESS SUITE RIVER VIEW" (3rd best after Royal and Dom Perignon Suites Rooms) so decided to stick with it only due to the Pres Suite showing as I'd never pay double normal Suite for same size Pres Suite, which is exactly the same but has momento/photoss of the famous guests, including presidents, who have stayed at IC Amstel.

Annoyingly between 1230- 13.30 on the day was downgraded to Penthouse City View. I don't like the penthouses, I immediately at 1330 rang to say I don't want and would rather have my original normal 2room suites with nice windows, loads of light, not the two small dark rooms that make up penthouse. I was told no that was now my room and no normal suites available and I was still be upgraded. (Come on it was only 2pm ! )
(12months ago Suites + Penthouses were priced equally, it is only this year amstel charges more for Penthouses)

Really pissed off with my room allocation and how Amstel handled this for a regular, very dark in living room is not to my liking, my Amstel profile says not to give me the P/House and I lalso ost my River view too.

Hotel was almost full night before, I was kind not to turn up early, ++ I guess others arrived early and got comped the room allocated to me as I did not turn up at 8am for early RA checkin.

I can't blame new owners, it is still same management, but I am not happy about losing a river view , and some of the better riverview J/suites work better for me than a penthouse.

The IHG Rewards T&Cs now identify and exclude certain suites as upgrades for RA members at many IC hotels. It appears that your favourite suite is on the list:

Royal Ambassador Status:......

The type of room upgrade allocated is at the discretion of the hotel. Exceptions:......InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam: Presidential Suite (includes Executive Presidential Suite, Executive Presidential Twin room & Executive Presidential Junior Suite), Dom Perignon Suite (includes Executive Dom Perignon Suite & Executive Dom Perignon Junior Suite).....

mxm135
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by MXM135
The IHG Rewards T&Cs now identify and exclude certain suites as upgrades for RA members at many IC hotels. It appears that your favourite suite is on the list:

Royal Ambassador Status:......

The type of room upgrade allocated is at the discretion of the hotel. Exceptions:......InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam: Presidential Suite (includes Executive Presidential Suite, Executive Presidential Twin room & Executive Presidential Junior Suite), Dom Perignon Suite (includes Executive Dom Perignon Suite & Executive Dom Perignon Junior Suite).....

mxm135
My usual suite is not the Presidential Business, I was given/allocated my usual standard suite months in advance and lost it due to bait+switch upgrade+downgrade, worse a downgrade to a room they are not meant to allocate to me.

I already stated that Amstels standard max upgrade is to King Suite (City or River depending which view one initially books), so no point booking Full suite as no upgrade, and most times same upgrade from entry Exec as J/suites. (When full up, they have to upgrade some guests to better rooms, which obviously includes paying RAs )

I was and am still annoyed about loss of river view , i would much rather have no extra combined/reveresed upgrade to Pres River and down to crappy City Penthouse, but keep to the stock offering of River Suite.
Also annoyed that this was all done at 13.30 in afternoon, basically penalizing me for not being selfish and checking in at 8am grabbing a temporary room and stopping Amstel giving to AN Other.

I don't like the Penthouse, a tiny window in the corner, so quite a dark room, i would much rather have a light and airy Junior Suite over these souless penthouses, which is why my profile says don't give me a penthouse.

Last edited by scubaccr; Oct 2, 2014 at 5:53 pm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
My usual suite is not the Presidential Business, I was given/allocated my usual standard suite months in advance and lost it due to bait+switch upgrade+downgrade, worse a downgrade to a room they are not meant to allocate to me.

I already stated that Amstels standard max upgrade is to King Suite (City or River depending which view one initially books), so no point booking Full suite as no upgrade, and most times same upgrade from entry Exec as J/suites. (When full up, they have to upgrade some guests to better rooms, which obviously includes paying RAs )

I was and am still annoyed about loss of river view , i would much rather have no extra combined/reveresed upgrade to Pres River and down to crappy City Penthouse, but keep to the stock offering of River Suite.
Also annoyed that this was all done at 13.30 in afternoon, basically penalizing me for not being selfish and checking in at 8am grabbing a temporary room and stopping Amstel giving to AN Other.

I don't like the Penthouse, a tiny window in the corner, so quite a dark room, i would much rather have a light and airy Junior Suite over these souless penthouses, which is why my profile says don't give me a penthouse.
I'd definitely write to the GM and state my considerable disappointment over this as a regular/returning RA. Give him the opportunity to put things right, address the issue for the future, and see if he's interested in keeping your custom.

If the response you get doesn't meet your expectations then it would be clear that they may not pay attention to your requests again in the future and it's time to move on to another hotel. Good luck!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Anyone knows why you can only make bookings until the end of January? All other dates after that show not available on all rates incl. the standard rate...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jaykay1985
Anyone knows why you can only make bookings until the end of January? All other dates after that show not available on all rates incl. the standard rate...

I can perfectly book rooms (including reward stay) after end of January 2015

(not the same story with the Pulitzer, soon out of SPG)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: IHG
I have an awards stay this weekend for 3 nights. Upgraded to Executive City View Suite. Can anyone advise if it's worth paying a supplement to upgrade to Executive River View Suite? Thanks in advance..
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by turner32
I have an awards stay this weekend for 3 nights. Upgraded to Executive City View Suite. Can anyone advise if it's worth paying a supplement to upgrade to Executive River View Suite? Thanks in advance..
I always do and used to offer the difference of 30euro night and the checkin desk had me sign for this upgrade amount

As a regular I often got my award nights moved to river view for free after first 3 times, although not done in advance each stay

Rooms are the same apart from river view, no quieter/noisier or anything

I always go for corner suites as I prefer to those suites in middle of each floor

I usually get 2nd floor corner suite on river, but for a change the 4th floor corner suites are a little different
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: IHG
I always do and used to offer the difference of 30euro night and the checkin desk had me sign for this upgrade amount

As a regular I often got my award nights moved to river view for free after first 3 times, although not done in advance each stay

Rooms are the same apart from river view, no quieter/noisier or anything

I always go for corner suites as I prefer to those suites in middle of each floor

I usually get 2nd floor corner suite on river, but for a change the 4th floor corner suites are a little different

Thanks for your help.

Requested River View suite on check-in and received corner suite with partial river view at no extra charge. Lovely suite, great hotel!^
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:44 am
Suspended

Hello FTers,

I am holding a 4 night award booking at the Amstel. With a Plat Amb status, can I expect to have a chance to be upgraded to one of those suites, preferably a twin one?

Thanks a lot
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
Originally Posted by kikid
Hello FTers,

I am holding a 4 night award booking at the Amstel. With a Plat Amb status, can I expect to have a chance to be upgraded to one of those suites, preferably a twin one?

Thanks a lot
I booked a King Bed Executive Room - City View on points for a stay this April and I was told by the hotel that I would be upgraded to the next category room which is a King Bed Executive Room with river view. My booking has already been updated to reflect this. I'm not sure what the chances would be of you getting anything higher as Amb only gives a one category upgrade and even this is not gauranteed on reward nights. I guess it depends how busy they are.

Last edited by davrossuk; Feb 7, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.