InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam Master Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Flamewing
Is anybody here who could help me with my decision to choose between the identically priced Executive Suite City View and the Penthouse Suite?
Of course I have already read the description of both suites on the homepage of the IC Amstel Amsterdam. However I wanted to collect some personal experience from someone who knows both suite types. Where are the advantages and disadvantages of each suite category?
Thank you very much!
The only suite I stayed is Executive suite:
  • Pretty large (around 55 sqm)
  • Corner suite
  • Elegant classic design (but not a fan of the too modern woodfloor which does not match with the décor)
  • Huge (read massive) Philips television in the living room
  • Separated bedroom
  • Francis Francis espresso machine
  • Large marble bathroom with separated walk-in shower. L'Occitane aminities.

The only thing I know about the Penthouse suite is that it is a duplex suite which is 65sqm and has two bathrooms.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador, A3*G, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nicolas75
The only suite I stayed is Executive suite:
  • Pretty large (around 55 sqm)
  • Corner suite
  • Elegant classic design (but not a fan of the too modern woodfloor which does not match with the décor)
  • Huge (read massive) Philips television in the living room
  • Separated bedroom
  • Francis Francis espresso machine
  • Large marble bathroom with separated walk-in shower. L'Occitane aminities.

The only thing I know about the Penthouse suite is that it is a duplex suite which is 65sqm and has two bathrooms.
Thanks for your reply. However you can read about all of this on the hotel homepage as well...
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Holy cow, this place is asking for like 400 euro/night, looks like it's the CP for me at 150 euro/night.

Anyway to get this place cheaper or is this just crazy?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Holy cow, this place is asking for like 400 euro/night, looks like it's the CP for me at 150 euro/night.

It's always been around that price. I think for at least 10 years or so. It's a luxury hotel in Europe and not that crazy at all. Not to mention that there aren't many luxury hotel rooms in Amsterdam.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle

Amstel is a gem. A real palace for historical decor and service, and has nothing to do with a CP.
CP Amsterdam has been renovated and is very central though. A good choice if you do not want to spend too much money (but don't expect club access upgrade).
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:20 am

Yes - staying on a BOGOF. We just stayed for 2 nights for Euro395.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
OK, thanks for the feedback. Even though it's a work stay, I can't in my right conscience pay for that much. Will try the CP.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: IHG RA, BAEC Gold, BW Diamond
There's a great deal of work on the bridge adjoining currently so looks like attached to a building site, I'd suggest the CP if it's a work gig as you can then spend the savings on the drinks they remove from the room before the RA's check in.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:34 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by JRGAY
There's a great deal of work on the bridge adjoining currently so looks like attached to a building site, I'd suggest the CP if it's a work gig as you can then spend the savings on the drinks they remove from the room before the RA's check in.
They really remove drinks/ beverages from the room?
I understood they were now charging RAs but that's downright pitiful and petty if that's accurate
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:59 pm

I said screw it and booked the CP at the airport instead. Wish the IC was a bit cheaper.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I understood they were now charging RAs but that's downright pitiful and petty if that's accurate
As said by others before, there are many better reasons to stay at Amstel than minibar.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Ther's no "charge" as such, 'cos there's no club lounge - another reason to choose the CP.

Yes, the "wet bar" dries up. Petty at those prices is a fair description.
Obviously others think that the ambience is worth more, but to be honest I can name a gaggle of hotels where the total package far exceeds for 1/2 the price.
If I only want to look at old things I go to a museum, the charges are less.
And yes Nicolas75 you and I have different standards of what "package" means.

My main issue is the way that when one asks in advance if minibar is included, they say "OH YES, YOU ARE AN R.A., OF COURSE", they don't say that the spirits are never in the minibar. On the plus side they do give the nuts and gum for free....
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:10 am

I'm not sure they actually remove items from the minibar before RAs checkin - it's just that there isn't very much booze in the minibar in the first place - only a small bottle of white wine and a couple of beers - all the spirits are in half litre bottles on the top. We were there last week as lowly Platinum Ambs.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Originally Posted by JRGAY
Ther's no "charge" as such, 'cos there's no club lounge - another reason to choose the CP.

Yes, the "wet bar" dries up. Petty at those prices is a fair description.
Obviously others think that the ambience is worth more, but to be honest I can name a gaggle of hotels where the total package far exceeds for 1/2 the price.
If I only want to look at old things I go to a museum, the charges are less.
And yes Nicolas75 you and I have different standards of what "package" means.

My main issue is the way that when one asks in advance if minibar is included, they say "OH YES, YOU ARE AN R.A., OF COURSE", they don't say that the spirits are never in the minibar. On the plus side they do give the nuts and gum for free....
I must admit that I also think it's quite shoddy the way the RA minibar is handled at the Amstel, from what I have heard. I would definitely agree with the use of the word "petty".

Of course I understand that the minibar isn't the only reason to visit the Amstel - but the careful (and some might say slightly underhand) interpretation of the RA minibar rules by the hotel certainly isn't drawing me in.

It's a shame really, because what would cost the hotel only a few Euros is creating an impression of penny-pinching and cynicism towards IC's most loyal customers.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I'm not sure they actually remove items from the minibar before RAs checkin - it's just that there isn't very much booze in the minibar in the first place - only a small bottle of white wine and a couple of beers - all the spirits are in half litre bottles on the top. We were there last week as lowly Platinum Ambs.
Otherwise known as "wet bar" - this is all removed from the room whilst/before checking in, believe me this is not conjecture. We wasted over30 minutes at check in wating for the housekeeper to do this. Sometimes it's useful to be fluent in a local language but not to give away the fact until an opportune time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.