IC Budapest (Master Thread)

Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by xichang08
The last few times we have requested the club lounge surcharge the price was 70Euro per day. I normally receive a quick response when I email to add the surcharge to our room at: [email protected]
agrred, 70euro/day for 1-2ppn. Due to great tea as well as b/f and evening is worth it for 2ppn. Same rate for upsell at checkin , no need to pre-book by email

In fact with view and lounge size/staff etc, i'd take b/f in lounge over restaurant. more peaceful, great view although i believe lounge access allows restaurant b/f here still (please check during checkin though)
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Breakfast here is good but not amazing. For 70 Euro per day you could have a much better experience in Budapest, such as a great meal or a side-trip. It’s not a lounge worth staying in for imho. (The Marriott lounge next door is far better, for instance). 🤷.♂️
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:47 am
Suspended

I like the lounge but not 70 Euro per day like it.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:15 am

Someone posted a bit earlier that this hotel does not upgrade on amb weekend certs.

Hotel policy is they upgrade any type of ambassador reservation, meaning you should receive a river view should you request it.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:02 pm

In the past you could choose lounge / restaurant bf.

Since the lounge refurb last year, they changed policy, and only lounge bf.

Unless they changed again.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Someone posted a bit earlier that this hotel does not upgrade on amb weekend certs.

Hotel policy is they upgrade any type of ambassador reservation, meaning you should receive a river view should you request it.
Saw that in the Ambassador experiences thread about a week before going. Definitely made me nervous, but I was upgraded before arrival on my weekend cert.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

Hotel policy is they upgrade any type of ambassad reservation, meaning you should receive a river view should you request it.
The majority of rooms in the hotel are river view so you’d be exceptionally unlucky not to get one even with the ambassador ‘upgrade’
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ajamieson

The majority of rooms in the hotel are river view so you’d be exceptionally unlucky not to get one even with the ambassador ‘upgrade’
granted but someone posted they booked classic and that's what they got. That is not hotel policy.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Remember this hotel is not playing fair, anymore no upgrades beyond Junior Suoite as of Sept2016 (even if book J/suite). Though they have plenty of Exec Siuites, propper 2room suites on ends of each floor.

Guessing added to prevent RAs getting 2cat upgrade to Exec Suite, I now onlt book base room here as RA
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:13 am

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Classic, superior river vew

How are the rooms?
The bathroom is comically small. No power ports at either bed side. No alarm clock. No hair dryer. No dental kit. The clock on the television is so bright, bring your eyeshades. You can seriously do shadow puppets on the walls behind you at night

How is the exec. lounge?
did not purchase access, not offered upsell

What was good and what was bad?
- early spire ambassador check in
- location and view, easy walk to Vaci Street, Central Market, Parliament, St. Paul's
- Ambassador gift was fruit (app request for savory ignored) and luggage tag I get every year anyway, drink coupon (beer, house wine, prosecco)
- had to repeatedly request water re-fresh
- Phone kept ringing in the room. I'd pick up someone would say hello or no one would be there. I finally told them to put a DND on the phone.
- I had consecutive, joined reservations which is a common practice. Well, the overnight manager checks you out and back in. This TURNS ON THE TV at 3 am and again at 5 am!
- Front desk staff very nice. Concierge, servers, bar staff cold and impersonal.
- There was a situation I won't get in to but the duty manager offered breakfast for my remaining days as an apology. I said nothing was needed and I don't eat breakfast. He insisted again. I said, fine, how about a drink coupon for the bar like I got at check in. He said "I really do want you to have the breakfast." Why do you keep offering me something I told you I don't want? So the next morning I went to the cafe and had breakfast. Guess what? Charged ion checkout. Didn't even want to deal with it anymore so I paid for it.

When I checked out, the manager said something about giving me some points for my trouble, I think 1,000 (nothing's hit yet) which is embarrassing. I'll wait for that like my comped breakfast.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
No. Even with a BOGO and paying 200 euro for 2 nights I would not. There's a Four Seasons, Sofitel and Ritz Carlton right there. Even at a higher price point I would stay elsewhere over the IC.

score: 6/10

Last edited by saaveraward; Jul 26, 2018 at 12:26 am
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

How are the rooms?
The bathroom is comically small. No power ports at either bed side. No alarm clock. The clock on the television is so bright, bring your eyeshades. You can seriously do shadow puppets on the walls behind you at night

How is the exec. lounge?

- location and view, easy walk to Vaci Street, Central Market, Parliament, St. Paul's
- Ambassador gift was fruit (app request for savory ignored) and luggage tag I get every year anyway, drink coupon (beer, house wine, prosecco)
- Phone kept ringing in the room. I'd pick up someone would say hello or no one would be there. I finally told them to put a DND on the phone.
- I had consecutive, joined reservations which is a common practice. Well, the overnight manager checks you out and back in. This TURNS ON THE TV at 3 am and again at 5 am!
- Front desk staff very nice. Concierge, servers, bar staff cold and impersonal.
- There was a situation I won't get in to but the duty manager offered breakfast for my remaining days as an apology. I said nothing was needed and I don't eat breakfast. He insisted again. I said, fine, how about a drink coupon for the bar like I got at check in. He said "I really do want you to have the breakfast." Why do you keep offering me something I told you I don't want? So the next morning I went to the cafe and had breakfast. Guess what? Charged ion checkout. Didn't even want to deal with it anymore so I paid for it.

When I checked out, the manager said something about giving me some points for my trouble, I think 1,000 (nothing's hit yet) which is embarrassing. I'll wait for that like my comped breakfast.

No. Even with a BOGO and paying 200 euro for 2 nights I would not. There's a Four Seasons, Sofitel and Ritz Carlton right there. Even at a higher price point I would stay elsewhere over the IC.

Wow, what a stinker! I think your score is quite generous all things considered (the niceness of the FD staff must have gone a long way).
I hope you posted on TA as well as here (IC BUD or anyone else couldn't care less what is written on FT, but a good TA rant should at least get their attention).
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:30 am

Sounds like a similar stay to my last one. The Marriott right behind the IC is superior in almost all respects - another better option imho.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Wow, what a stinker! I think your score is quite generous all things considered (the niceness of the FD staff must have gone a long way).
I hope you posted on TA as well as here (IC BUD or anyone else couldn't care less what is written on FT, but a good TA rant should at least get their attention).
nah, I'm not a TA ranter and I do think some of these issues were a confluence of bad luck, but overall I would have no reason or desire to return.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Sounds like a similar stay to my last one. The Marriott right behind the IC is superior in almost all respects - another better option imho.
true. The architecture of the building turned me off. No idea what it's like on the inside haha
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:05 pm

How are the rooms?
The bathroom is comically small. No power ports at either bed side. No alarm clock. The clock on the television is so bright, bring your eyeshades. You can seriously do shadow puppets on the walls behind you at night

How is the exec. lounge?

Here's the kicker. The hotel sent over my BOGO folio as 0 spent so no points. Had to call ambassador desk to get the points I earned.

I'm done paying IHG for ambassador. Going back to hilton diamond. Hotels are average or below, no lounge access and upgrades and minimal at best.

Last edited by saaveraward; Jul 25, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.