IC Budapest (Master Thread)

Old Aug 23, 16, 12:02 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dbears View Post
My wife and I will be staying here two nights in a couple of weeks following a Viking River Cruise. We reserved a standard room, one night using a certificate. We are platinum with the credit card. What sort of upgrade might we expect? I understand that the hotel is near the port. What transportation might you suggest from the ship? What transportation will you suggest from the hotel to the airport?

Thanks in advance for the wonderful FT advice.

Mike (DaBears)
Don't expect any upgrade at IC Budapest if you are not an Ambassador elite.
Old Aug 23, 16, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
Don't expect any upgrade at IC Budapest if you are not an Ambassador elite.
I've never had an upgrade as an Ambassador, either.

Although I have been offered discounted Club access. (Possibly worth it, although I'd be tempted to save money for a nice meal out).
Old Aug 23, 16, 12:27 pm

Thanks guys. Any suggestions on transportation from the port or to the airport?
Old Aug 23, 16, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA/AA
What transportation might you suggest from the ship?
The Budapest Intercontinental is no more than 100-150 yards from the where the Viking will port. You can walk it.

Last edited by jaymar01; Aug 23, 16 at 3:05 pm
Old Aug 23, 16, 3:24 pm

Programs: Starwood Banned, Marriott Plat, UA 1K MM,
I got a great upgrade as a spire top floor river front. Great hotel all in all.
Old Aug 23, 16, 4:07 pm

Thanks, I didn't know it was that close. Any suggestions on travel to the airport. We will probably have some large bags with us.
Old Aug 23, 16, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Thanks, I didn't know it was that close. Any suggestions on travel to the airport. We will probably have some large bags with us.
There's a very reliable shuttle service that runs from all the major hotels to the Budapest airport. They'll have point-of-sale materials all over the front desk and at the adjacent concierge desk at the Intercontinental.

Alternatively, the hotel can arrange for a taxi. Just be very careful here....Budapest taxis are notorious for ripping off out-of-town guests. Make sure you've checked (and double-checked) with the hotel on a fair price.....and the cab driver is in agreement before you proceed.
Old Aug 24, 16, 1:43 am

Programs: A3 *G, IHG Plat Amb., Hilton Diamond, Radisson Gold, Accor Gold
Viking has 3-4 slots where their boats dock very close to the IC. Depending on your boat, you may even dock almost across the street from the hotel.

We have stayed at the IC several times over the past few years and have been fortunate regarding upgrades.

As stated earlier, the hotel can arrange a taxi. When we use a taxi from the IC to the airport, we use Fo Taxi which are metered and very reliable. Fo Taxi is also the authorized service sanctioned by the airport.
Old Jun 28, 17, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic
Anyone have any experience recently getting UG on a points stay as an Ambassador and/or buy-up to lounge? Have a stay there this weekend, thanks!
Old Jun 29, 17, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by CanesLawMarty View Post
Anyone have any experience recently getting UG on a points stay as an Ambassador and/or buy-up to lounge? Have a stay there this weekend, thanks!
Using points, I normally receive an upgrade to a river facing room.

I also email the lounge and have them add the lounge to my points stay: [email protected]

I have not stayed since the lounge was renovated a couple of months ago so I cannot comment on the new offerings.

If you are in town for the Redbull show, the lounge will give you a great vantage point!
Old Jun 29, 17, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic
Thanks xichang08!
Old Jul 2, 17, 5:29 pm

We used Fo Taxi a lot in Budapest. You just call in English on your cell and very shortly you will be picked up from wherever you happen to be. Very reliable and no worries about being cheated. 362 122 2222.
Old Jul 3, 17, 8:29 am

Programs: *G at A3,TK;M&M,LM; IHG RA, AB Plat.
Originally Posted by xichang08 View Post
I have not stayed since the lounge was renovated a couple of months ago so I cannot comment on the new offerings.
I have read somewhere else, the former great IC BUD lounge has allready reduced its offerings according to the new bad IHG rules.
Has anybody more details about the lounge?
Old Jul 19, 18, 1:49 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond and A3*G
Does anyone have something recent to add about this hotel?

Originally Posted by hannes08 View Post
I have read somewhere else, the former great IC BUD lounge has allready reduced its offerings according to the new bad IHG rules.
Has anybody more details about the lounge?
Posts in the experience thread from this year say the lounge is still excellent.

Does anyone know how much it would be to add club to a points stay? (I am Spire Amb)

Staying at the Hilton City for 2 nights already but now have a third night to book, wondering if it's worthwhile to try here or just continue at the Hilton. It's 40K Hilton points and includes lounge as I am Diamond. IC is 35K IHG points and I value IHG and Hilton points roughly the same, 5000 points at around HUF 9000/25 , but I doubt the upcharge will be as low as that. Any comments?
Old Jul 20, 18, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Does anyone have something recent to add about this hotel?

Posts in the experience thread from this year say the lounge is still excellent.

Does anyone know how much it would be to add club to a points stay? (I am Spire Amb)

Staying at the Hilton City for 2 nights already but now have a third night to book, wondering if it's worthwhile to try here or just continue at the Hilton. It's 40K Hilton points and includes lounge as I am Diamond. IC is 35K IHG points and I value IHG and Hilton points roughly the same, 5000 points at around HUF 9000/€25 , but I doubt the upcharge will be as low as that. Any comments?
The last few times we have requested the club lounge surcharge the price was 70Euro per day. I normally receive a quick response when I email to add the surcharge to our room at: [email protected]

Search this Thread