Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:13 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by trueblu
Thanks. And can you confirm the 1700++ price was "per room"?
No need really IMO as you will already have breakfast at Espresso which is more substantial than the IC Club breakfast.

Breakfast at Espresso to include made to order noodles
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
We (wife, 9 yo daughter and 22 mo son and I) have an upcoming stay at the IC BKK in a few days. This is our first visit to Bangkok.
I am Spire Amb, and it's a purely points booking.
Finally, what is most economical car service option from DMK?

thanks!

tb
I usually just take a Taxi. Just go to the official taxi stand and ignore anybody who is offering a taxi. Should be total around 400 B for a regular taxi (most of them have a very small trunk because of the gas tank) or a bit more for a SUV. Just make sure the meter is on. You need to pay the highway fees.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kalboz
No need really IMO as you will already have breakfast at Espresso which is more substantial than the IC Club breakfast.

Breakfast at Espresso to include made to order noodles
Isn't the OP on a points stay? Maybe I read that wrong, but on a points stay I haven't seen them being generous and giving the breakfast benefit, at least not from what others reported.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by demue
Isn't the OP on a points stay? Maybe I read that wrong, but on a points stay I haven't seen them being generous and giving the breakfast benefit, at least not from what others reported.
Not true - and I am speaking from experience because we did this in the past 2 years. You get the same treatment regardless of how you paid, cash or points. They don't treat you like a second-class guest because you made the wise decision to utilize your points. This year, I burned 2 award nights from the IHG Chase CC and redeemed 480K IHG points on two rooms for additional 8 nights. We checked out on January 15th.

If you are a Platinum Ambassador (like me) or higher status elite (like the OP) you are entitled to Executive Benefits or privileges as per the sheet posted above (post #1290 ) which includes breakfast at Espresso OR happy hour at Balcony Lounge. The breakfast benefit is more substantial and essential to this particular OP than the happy hour benefit and thus I recommend he makes that choice.

Juice Bar at Espresso breakfast
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:44 am

I would not use the word entitled. Actually, per terms and conditions, award stays are not the same as paid nights.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 31, 2019 at 10:32 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:58 am

Not true - and I am speaking from experience because we did this in the past 2 years. You get the same treatment regardless of how you paid, cash or points. They don't treat you like a second-class guest because you made the wise decision to utilize your points.
My experience is different. As Royal Ambassadow they did not upgrade to Club on a points stay.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
My experience is different. As Royal Ambassadow they did not upgrade to Club on a points stay.
Yes, club is typically not complimentary on a pure award stay. It is not an entitlement to anyone on any award nights, strictly speaking.

In general I always think it is better to keep relatively quiet about the occasional special treatment we all may encounter from time to time as regular guests of any hotel. Raising other people’s expectations beyond what is officially guaranteed can result in disappointment, which leads to complaints and headaches for the people at hotels. The end result can be that hotels are pressured by corporate to apply rules very strictly. So, I have always thought it best to refrain from publicly posting about anecdotal experiences of having various things comped. It can falsely inflate people’s expectations and is a discourteous way to treat an hotel in return for its generosity.
TakeFive7 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would not use the word entitled. Actually, per terms and conditions, award stays are not the same as paid nights. The property is extremely guest friendly and often goes above and beyond, but out of consideration to the wonderful people at the hotel I refrain from posting any information that may prompt people to have high expectations and possibly lead to disappointment. It can matter, at any hotel, if one has any type of guest history with the property. For a first time guest on an award stay, I would not expect any added benefits. Anything is possible, but it most certainly is not an entitlement.
I meant it as entitled as per their own T&C and not entitled as a matter of being conceited about one's self or importance. A guest is a guest once you checked in and in a reputable property, there shouldn't be any differentiation once you are settled into your own assigned room. How are award stays not the same as paid nights? Please kindly direct me to where it says so! Points or CC award stays are not comped, but they are stays using IHG points as a payment method. As we all very well know, the earned IHG points are not free (or cheap to earn for that matter). IHG created the points as a form of loyalty currency, a rebate of sorts.If a property is not so happy about points stayers, why making them available in the booking system?
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Please show me where did I say we got upgraded to Club access at any status for free! I never claimed to experience Royal Ambassador guest treatment paid or otherwise.

My purpose here was to advise a fellow FTer based on our experiences - YMMV - and not to encourage others to over-expect from or abuse this awesome property.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:05 am

I found it: https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions

InterContinental® Ambassador Benefits: A room one category higher than purchased will be assigned upon check-in to InterContinental Ambassadors. InterContinental Ambassadors will be entitled to a late check-out time of 4:00 pm. Ambassadors receive fresh fruit, sweet or savoury snack and water in their room on arrival, with mineral water replenished daily. Ambassadors receive a personalised welcome letter and in-room gift. Ambassadors are entitled to one free Pay-TV film per stay (where a cost is applicable). Ambassadors are charged Single Rate for Double Room Occupancy. When staying on Reward Nights and on Best Price Guaranteed Free Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, Club Lounge access (Royal Ambassadors), Mini bar beverages (Royal Ambassadors), free Pay-TV film per stay, 24-hour guaranteed room availability (Royal Ambassador) and 8:00 am early check-in (Royal Ambassador - where a cost is applicable). A Reward Night booking must be booked under the IHG Rewards Club account of the member for him/her to enjoy the benefits.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:24 am

deleted

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 31, 2019 at 11:37 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:33 am

...When staying on Reward Nights and on Best Price Guaranteed Free Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, Club Lounge access (Royal Ambassadors), Mini bar beverages (Royal Ambassadors), free Pay-TV film per stay, 24-hour guaranteed room availability (Royal Ambassador) and 8:00 am early check-in (Royal Ambassador - where a cost is applicable). A Reward Night booking must be booked under the IHG Rewards Club account of the member for him/her to enjoy the benefits.
Not to belabor the point, but at this property the “Executive Room” benefits you are referencing, including the choice of breakfast or evening cocktails, are in fact a room upgrade. As I am sure you are aware, there are no physical “Club” or “Executive” rooms at this property. An upgrade between room types (except for suites, of course) means that either Executive or Club benefits are included at no charge. There is no entitlement for this on award nights.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:16 pm

Not to belabor the point, but at this property the “Executive Room” benefits you are referencing, including the choice of breakfast or evening cocktails, are in fact a room upgrade. As I am sure you are aware, there are no physical “Club” or “Executive” rooms at this property. An upgrade between room types (except for suites, of course) means that either Executive or Club benefits are included at no charge. There is no entitlement for this on award nights.
Thank you

The regular rooms are vast (in comparison to across the street GHE), the location is superb, and the staff is super nice, but, to be honest with you, without this executive benefit, it's a no go for us. We travel as a family and when the kids wake up in the morning, they have to have their breakfast immediately. And, hence, the attraction to this here property. We get treated like royalty at the MMQP as we were one of the first families to check in at that property. And, as PP with kids we get the extensive breakfast at Goji. So we have alternatives in Bangkok if this benefit was to be discontinued. I hear the Ambassador program T&C changing effective tomorrow and will see what impact that will have on this particular property and our future travel plans.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:31 pm

Thank you

The regular rooms are vast (in comparison to across the street GHE), the location is superb, and the staff is super nice, but, to be honest with you, without this executive benefit, it's a no go for us. We travel as a family and when the kids wake up in the morning, they have to have their breakfast immediately. And, hence, the attraction to this here property. We get treated like royalty at the MMQP as we were one of the first families to check in at that property. And, as PP with kids we get the extensive breakfast at Goji. So we have alternatives in Bangkok if this benefit was to be discontinued. I hear the Ambassador program T&C changing effective tomorrow and will see what impact that will have on this particular property and our future travel plans.
I love both hotels. I strongly suspect IC Bangkok will continue to take great care of you, so I do not think you have anything to worry about. This hotel really just ticks off so many boxes for me making it an excellent choice.

I completed agree that the building design is such that every single room is spacious. That is not true of many other hotels. At this property you never have to worry about getting a small or undesirable room, at least in my experience, they’re all okay.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:07 pm

I love both hotels. I strongly suspect IC Bangkok will continue to take great care of you, so I do not think you have anything to worry about. This hotel really just ticks off so many boxes for me making it an excellent choice.

I completed agree that the building design is such that every single room is spacious. That is not true of many other hotels. At this property you never have to worry about getting a small or undesirable room, at least in my experience, they’re all okay.
Not worried really, just thinking loud.

As a family, we no longer frequent the GHE ... the IC BKK OTOH is good to us but we didn't hold back either - booked two rooms and paid for upgrade even though the wife and kids don't like or go to the IC Club. After all said and done, it added up to around $140 all in per room per night according to the latest valuations. Most importantly, and this I cannot put a price on, we enjoyed our 2 stays and highly recommend this property.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
No issues really as far as the room is concerned. AFAIK, there are two types of double room, one in the middle section of the floors and the second can be found at either end of the floor (corner). Both offer comfortable bedding but for 4 people, it will be a bit cramped. There is 4 of us too and the kids are 7 and 10 but we book a king with an attached double for the kids. But tht might be too much for you. I'd ask for a baby cot for the little one as a solution.

Double room

Double corner room

As a Spire Ambassador, you are given executive privileges at this hotel to include a choice of breakfast at Espresso restaurant on the 2nd floor. The breakfast here is a culinary experience quality and quantity wise. So no need for paid upgrade to the IC Club access.

For DMK transportation, I'd get into the taxi queue at the airport and it shouldn't cost more than THB 300 (under $10) including tolls for the ride to the hotel.
Thanks! Just to confirm, did you receive the "Executive room" benefits on points stays?

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.