Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
...On a positive note, and as a result of this awesome treatment, this property gained a lifetime fan and a 5-star review on TripAdvisor.
It is an exceptional hotel, and in many ways I think it is the best among its nearest competition.

I first tried it because I happened to have Ambassador status and some points to unload from other stays, and did not even expect to particularly like it. And I did not like it, I ended up loving it.

It has the best steakhouse in town, one of the best Italian restaurants, a cigar room, sky high views from the best club lounge in town, comfortable beds, and spacious rooms. Most importantly they have superb service culture and training that is extremely focused on guest satisfaction and true hospitality. Just as you note, you were prepared to pay for an extra room night, and they chose to just give you a generous late checkout. Things like that win guests for life, and that’s why very many guests of IC BKK are repeat guests.
Kalboz and shoven like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:08 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It is an exceptional hotel, and in many ways I think it is the best among its nearest competition.

I first tried it because I happened to have Ambassador status and some points to unload from other stays, and did not even expect to particularly like it. And I did not like it, I ended up loving it.

It has the best steakhouse in town, one of the best Italian restaurants, a cigar room, sky high views from the best club lounge in town, comfortable beds, and spacious rooms. Most importantly they have superb service culture and training that is extremely focused on guest satisfaction and true hospitality. Just as you note, you were prepared to pay for an extra room night, and they chose to just give you a generous late checkout. Things like that win guests for life, and that’s why very many guests of IC BKK are repeat guests.

Indeed.

I am a Marriott guy but when in the area, I usually stay at the Grand Hyatt Erawan. Recently, the rates at the Hyatt are much inflated in comparison to what we were getting (no value) - no suite upgrade availability due to too many Globalists or they play games. So I decided to give the Intercontinental a try, and, WOW! Was I blown a way by this excellent hotel and the treatment!!! Check-in at the IHG desk was a treat and a sign of a successful stay. As Platinum Ambassadors we were given executive privileges to include breakfast at the 2nd floor Espresso Restaurant which is a huge multicultural culinary experience on its own. My wife and kids enjoy this experience, while I rather partake breakfast at the 37th floor IC Club. I paid an extra $100++ per night for this privilege, an easy decision that is worth every penny. The ambiance, breakfast, teatime, and happy hour all offered excellent offerings and service. Our kids are offered food and drinks at Balcony Lounge on the ground floor due to alcohol service and consumption at the IC Club. Families with kids, however, were welcomed at Club lounge during breakfast and teatime hours.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:41 am

I could not agree more. In fact, ever since World of Hyatt was rolled with all of its stupid tier levels like “glob”/“globalist,” elite status at Hyatt has been a joke. The good thing is that I am more than happy with IC Ambassador as a replacement, and even from day one as gold Ambassador the guaranteed one category upgrade benefit adds real value at this property. GH Erawan is a lovely hotel, has great specialty suites like the Spa Cottages, but in every other way as far as I am concerned IC completely cleans the Erawan’s clock by comparison - it’s not even close.

Why should I jump through hoops to have Hyatt status, when I can just buy Ambassador status and get better treatment with essentially no minimum stay requirement? And I have quickly achieved Spire - and possibly soon RA - for doing nothing more than my regular hotel stays.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:41 pm

First time going to thailand will be in February, and i booked a room here. I have royal ambassador status with IHG, I was wondering what sort of upgrades/perks i could expect? I saw theres a list of different types of rooms that dont fall under the RA upgrade availability. Currently I just booked the "standard room" but i was wondering if I should book a different kind? Its a little confusing understanding what exactly the "two room category" means
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by MoofuJJ
First time going to thailand will be in February, and i booked a room here. I have royal ambassador status with IHG, I was wondering what sort of upgrades/perks i could expect? I saw theres a list of different types of rooms that dont fall under the RA upgrade availability. Currently I just booked the "standard room" but i was wondering if I should book a different kind? Its a little confusing understanding what exactly the "two room category" means
Standard room will get you a Club room which is basically the same just on a higher floor, Executive room which is again same size and layout as a standard / club room will get you a corner suite, all rooms above the Corner Suites are on the list that are not available for upgrade.
The Hotel is very popular and runs at a high occupancy generally so they tend to stick to the 2 cat upgrade, you will receive a bottle of Red Wine in the room which can be changed for white if you request it. The highlight here for me is the Club lounge staff are fantastic good breakfast offerings and a very good evening drinks selection with proper bartender for cocktails.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MoofuJJ
o (RA) GRAND DELUXE -> GRANDE EXEC -> CLUB ROOM (with club access)
nb Identical rooms size/layout/furnishing, just higher floors and more soft benefits

o (RA) GRAND EXEC -> CLUB ROOM -> CORNER SUITE (with club access)
nb Corner Suites thirtyone Corner Suites at either end of each floor, proper 2-room suites

o Rooms above these Corner Suites are excluded from foc upgrades , fyi there are just 6x such higher suites and imho not worth the extra $$$ over the allowed full suite.
As such for RA, only book either entry level Grand Deluxe, or second category Grand Exec if you want the 2-room suite

Warning
Not unknown for IC Bangkok revenue dept to downgrade RA's reservation from Exec to Delux thereby freeing up the Suites from unpaid RA upgrades for paid stays.

Last edited by scubaccr; Dec 18, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:14 pm

As others have pointed out, there is no physical difference in room type between the various categories. The differentiation is in the form of “soft” benefits. As RA you will have at least a club room for sure, as this is a two category upgrade and club access is always granted to RAs.

The hotel does run at very high occupancy, but the saving grace is that all rooms are the same and therefore any room can be provided with the club level benefits. In my view this is advantageous, because at other hotels guests booking lower category rooms may receive a physically smaller or otherwise inferior room type unless upgrade inventory is available. There are no such rooms to “avoid” at IC Bangkok.

The corner suites are not a big deal to me. The one advantage is having a small separate living room, enabling one guest to sleep while the other works, reads, or whatches television etc. in the living room. However, apart from that there is not a great deal of difference. The total amount of space, bathroom amenities and fixtures, closet space, etc.. are not significantly larger in the corner suites.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Had the steak & eggs again today for breakfast and what a treat to start the day. The IC club lounge seems deserted but the service and offerings remain formidable. Was told the heards will be arriving next week for the holidays. Moving on to the Millennium Hilton on Sunday.

Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:11 am

Completed two stays recently. First, 2 rooms for 4 nights in December. and the second stay for 5 nights for 2 rooms also checking out on January 15. Two positive news for people who partake breakfast at Espresso and families with children that take happy hour at the Balcony Lounge on the lobby floor. Espresso added Asian Specialties menu in addition to their buffet breakfast while the Balcony Lounge allows kids to select food from their kids' menu in addition to their standard happy hour menu.

Additional menu included in the breakfast buffet at Espresso

Kids menu at Balcony Lounge for happy hour 5:30 - 7:30 PM

Dishes from Kids' menu at happy hour
FlyerTalker78341 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BA - Blue
We (wife, 9 yo daughter and 22 mo son and I) have an upcoming stay at the IC BKK in a few days. This is our first visit to Bangkok.
I am Spire Amb, and it's a purely points booking.

A few issues: for booking the award stay, the only room I could choose was "2 single beds Grand Deluxe"...I'm hoping it's two queen beds, correct? Also, I couldn't specify 2 kids and make a booking: we don't need extra bedding, so it's not an issue for us in terms of accommodation, and most hotels are OK with it: but how will the hotel be about it?

Although the following question has been asked a number of times, I couldn't find definitive response. For points booking, is the "exec room" benefit (it's just the breakfast that we're interested in) offered? If not, is the price I've seen here of 1700 THB++ for the club upsell per person per night or per room per night? Former would represent decent value for us for the breakfast benefit.

If neither option for breakfast pans out, any recommendations for breakfast near the hotel? Given we have a young child, would need to be very close by/ walking distance.

Finally, what is most economical car service option from DMK?

thanks!

tb
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:43 am

They have two types of twin bedded rooms. One with two doubles, or another with a Hollywood twin configuration. Two queens directly next to each other. I do not think you’ll have anything to worry about.

On a pure points booking you should pay upsell for full club benefits. I would not count on Executive room benefits on a pure points stay.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:06 am

They have two types of twin bedded rooms. One with two doubles, or another with a Hollywood twin configuration. Two queens directly next to each other. I do not think you’ll have anything to worry about.

On a pure points booking you should pay upsell for full club benefits. I would not count on Executive room benefits on a pure points stay.
Thanks. And can you confirm the 1700++ price was "per room"?

tb
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
Thanks. And can you confirm the 1700++ price was "per room"?

tb
It normally is about that... I have no idea how that is affected by additional occupants. I would not say anything, just ask in advance to upgrade to club, and see what happens. You can then make the most logical decision either in advance or upon arrival. This property is very good, so I am sure you will be well taken care of.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:39 am

It normally is about that... I have no idea how that is affected by additional occupants. I would not say anything, just ask in advance to upgrade to club, and see what happens. You can then make the most logical decision either in advance or upon arrival. This property is very good, so I am sure you will be well taken care of.
Thanks for the advice. Is there an email to contact for asking about upgrade to the club, or should I wait to be contacted about "upcoming stay" (although it's in about 4 days and not received an email yet!)? Yes, our decision will be very much driven by the price. At that price point, it probably makes sense. Much more, and it won't, especially since the booze benefits of the club won't have any value for us.

tb
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
We (wife, 9 yo daughter and 22 mo son and I) have an upcoming stay at the IC BKK in a few days. This is our first visit to Bangkok.
I am Spire Amb, and it's a purely points booking.

A few issues: for booking the award stay, the only room I could choose was "2 single beds Grand Deluxe"...I'm hoping it's two queen beds, correct? Also, I couldn't specify 2 kids and make a booking: we don't need extra bedding, so it's not an issue for us in terms of accommodation, and most hotels are OK with it: but how will the hotel be about it?

Although the following question has been asked a number of times, I couldn't find definitive response. For points booking, is the "exec room" benefit (it's just the breakfast that we're interested in) offered? If not, is the price I've seen here of 1700 THB++ for the club upsell per person per night or per room per night? Former would represent decent value for us for the breakfast benefit.

If neither option for breakfast pans out, any recommendations for breakfast near the hotel? Given we have a young child, would need to be very close by/ walking distance.

Finally, what is most economical car service option from DMK?

thanks!

tb
No issues really as far as the room is concerned. AFAIK, there are two types of double room, one in the middle section of the floors and the second can be found at either end of the floor (corner). Both offer comfortable bedding but for 4 people, it will be a bit cramped. There is 4 of us too and the kids are 7 and 10 but we book a king with an attached double for the kids. But tht might be too much for you. I'd ask for a baby cot for the little one as a solution.

Double room

Double corner room

As a Spire Ambassador, you are given executive privileges at this hotel to include a choice of breakfast at Espresso restaurant on the 2nd floor. The breakfast here is a culinary experience quality and quantity wise. So no need for paid upgrade to the IC Club access.

For DMK transportation, I'd get into the taxi queue at the airport and it shouldn't cost more than THB 300 (under $10) including tolls for the ride to the hotel.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.