Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:50 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by escape4
Thanks for the tip! Are you sure it's 24k per night? I see rooms at 40k per night for various dates, with 4th night free that would bring the cost down to 30k per night. Did points redemptions recently increase?
Okay, as I said you will need both cards and be an Ambassador for this to work.And, yes, it is 40K per night and you have to have the points (160K) for the 4-nights block at the time of reservation:

- You pay 3 nights for 4 for having the new version of the IHG CC. So, 120K for 4 nights or 30K points per night. Don't ask me why they require having the entire 160K points in your account when you only spending 120K points - very strange to say the least!
- 10% rebate for having the older version of the IHG CC. So that would chip away another 12K points.
- Additional 10% rebate for being an Ambassador. So that would chip the final 12K points. So, simple math: 120K minus 24K equals 96K everytime! And for 4 nights, that would be 24K IHG points per night.

This is not for the faint of heart as $220 ai per night is not cheap but you will get a suite with IC Club access including a choice of breakfast at the 2nd floor Espresso Restaurant.

Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
- Additional 10% rebate for being an Ambassador. So that would chip the final 12K points. So, simple math: 120K minus 24K equals 96K everytime! And for 4 nights, that would be 24K IHG points per night.
I was told that the additional 10% rebate only applies when you renew Ambassador.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by thqu60
I was told that the additional 10% rebate only applies when you renew Ambassador.
My understanding as well. I have not seen a new AMB sign up offer of late that includes the 10% redemption rebate.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Ok then all clear now. I am new to the IHG loyalty program so I was not aware of these couple of extra 10% off points redemptions - thanks for patiently explaining. I just got the new IHG credit card so I will miss out on the first 10%, and since I am new AMB, then I will miss the second 10% as well, at least for now. thqu60 and demue are correct that new AMB do not get this 10% as far as I know, when I signed up I saw no mention of this so I did not even know it existed for renewals.

I should give IC BKK a chance at some point, but that said if I did not have all those pro tips this property would not seem to be a screaming deal compared to competitors such as Hyatt Regency Sukhumvit, Athenee, or Conrad, assuming we compare apples to apples which means elite benefits at all of them side by side and the final price tag. IC BKK might come out as competitive for points redemptions especially with the extra perks described by Kalboz but I would also note that Hyatt Regency was about to reduce their points redemptions from 12k to 8k pts right before covid hit so it's only a matter of time and they will give IC a run for their money for points. And regarding cash reservations until I see IC with my own eyes my opinion has limited value, but right now it seems the very modest elite benefits (breakfast only, no lounge, no proper room upgrade) will make it a hard sell for me in the long run. But I need to stay and review first!
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by demue
My understanding as well. I have not seen a new AMB sign up offer of late that includes the 10% redemption rebate.
I had to chase up six months' worth of Ambassador 10% discounts. Agent said it should be automatic, but .......

He added that this will be the final year the discount is available.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by thqu60
Originally Posted by demue
Not in my experience - you get 10% back every time you redeem IHG points subject to the following restrictions:

- Allow 6-8 weeks after the redemption (checking out)
- Annual limit of 100K IHG in rebate (refund) points.

In the old days, when you paid for your Ambassador status in cash (versus buying the status using IHG points), IHG would load 15K IHG points into your account.

I booked 2 rooms for 2 4-night blocks spending 480K IHG points.

Last edited by Kalboz; Jun 18, 2020 at 1:03 pm
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Ok then all clear now. I am new to the IHG loyalty program so I was not aware of these couple of extra 10% off points redemptions - thanks for patiently explaining. I just got the new IHG credit card so I will miss out on the first 10%, and since I am new AMB, then I will miss the second 10% as well, at least for now. thqu60 and demue are correct that new AMB do not get this 10% as far as I know, when I signed up I saw no mention of this so I did not even know it existed for renewals.

I should give IC BKK a chance at some point, but that said if I did not have all those pro tips this property would not seem to be a screaming deal compared to competitors such as Hyatt Regency Sukhumvit, Athenee, or Conrad, assuming we compare apples to apples which means elite benefits at all of them side by side and the final price tag. IC BKK might come out as competitive for points redemptions especially with the extra perks described by Kalboz but I would also note that Hyatt Regency was about to reduce their points redemptions from 12k to 8k pts right before covid hit so it's only a matter of time and they will give IC a run for their money for points. And regarding cash reservations until I see IC with my own eyes my opinion has limited value, but right now it seems the very modest elite benefits (breakfast only, no lounge, no proper room upgrade) will make it a hard sell for me in the long run. But I need to stay and review first!
Fair assessment & although I love the Hyatt Sukhumvit (not so much the Athenee), and the Conrad (but exuberant redemption rates), the value remains with the IC Bangkok even without the additional 20% refunds (30K IHG points which are valued at $150 versus $180 currently for Hyatt). As an Ambassador, you will also get executive benefits in addition to THB 600 cumulative credit for incidentals per stay. Executive benefits including breakfast at Espresso Restaurant on 2nd floor OR Happy Hour benefit at the Balcony (lobby lounge/bar). Finally, the IC location, IMO, is much superior to the previously mentioned properties.

Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I had to chase up six months' worth of Ambassador 10% discounts. Agent said it should be automatic, but .......

Currently chasing. Never had Ambassador points post automatically.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by greendx
Currently chasing. Never had Ambassador points post automatically.
On the last rebate (as shown above), we checked out on 1/14 and got the 10% Ambassador rebate on 3/24 or almost 10 weeks later AND AFTER several calls and tweets!
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:16 pm

On the last rebate (as shown above), we checked out on 1/14 and got the 10% Ambassador rebate on 3/24 or almost 10 weeks later AND AFTER several calls and tweets!
Last week I submitted claims for missing rebates from Nov/Dec/Jan. Received emails regarding the Nov & Jan stays from the same agent saying I already received my rebate. I replied back pointing out that those rebates were Chase CC. Received my Amb rebates shortly after that. Still waiting on my December stay rebate.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yup, I have maybe had 1 or 2 post after 5-6 months suddenly, but maybe 30+ I had to chase every time.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

That would be a bummer. It is a good benefit, especially for people in places where there is no IHG credit card. Just wish it would post reliably. One less reason to renew AMB, let's see.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 5:32 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Fair assessment & although I love the Hyatt Sukhumvit (not so much the Athenee), and the Conrad (but exuberant redemption rates), the value remains with the IC Bangkok even without the additional 20% refunds (30K IHG points which are valued at $150 versus $180 currently for Hyatt). As an Ambassador, you will also get executive benefits in addition to THB 600 cumulative credit for incidentals per stay. Executive benefits including breakfast at Espresso Restaurant on 2nd floor OR Happy Hour benefit at the Balcony (lobby lounge/bar). Finally, the IC location, IMO, is much superior to the previously mentioned properties.
For points redemptions, IC is cheaper than Athenee (even when it's off peak) and far cheaper than Conrad where I would never use points because it's a rip-off. But for cash bookings, I am assuming you prefer IC over Athenee since you mention you do not like Athenee much? Personally I am treated very well there, even suite upgrades when there is no suite availability showing online and even when it's a very low Best Rate Guarantee price 3,xxx THB. So for sub 4k I can sometimes have suite+lounge+breakfast, which makes paying 4,xxx THB at IC for the basic room (or far more for a suite) and breakfast OR happy hour (not both) a bit difficult to stomach.

The first time I try IC, I think I will follow your advice and book 4 nights with points and ask if I can pay cash to upgrade to a suite+lounge.

Regarding location, I fully agree with you IC has the best location of HR, Athenee, and Conrad. Part of why I might have doubts about the value proposition of IC is that in Bangkok I am more location-agnostic than I would be in other cities and therefore hotels in more locations a bit farther away such as Akyra Thonglor might have a location 'discount' embedded in the price tag which can attract guests such as myself on occasion But I realize this is a personal preference and others will find the extra to pay for IC to be worth it and I would not disagree.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:13 pm

Current published redemption rates are 20K IHG points per night at this property, a bargain especially if you are an Ambassador or higher. Applying the same method above, your rate will go down to 13.5K IHG points per room per night - equivalent to under $70 ai, if you book in a block of 4 nights. As for the benefits, or availability of cash-upgrade to Club or suite, I will check with the hotel after I leave my ASQ confinement on 12/30!

Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Seeing paid rate of 1,800 THB in Dec 2021. Tempted. Reading previous discussion, I understand it offered breakfast or happy hour to Platinum (non-Ambassador) members? If so, that's very generous and would be icing on the cake on a killer deal (even tho the breakfast rate is only about $15 USD more).

20k w/4th night free and 10% from the Select card (= 13.5k) would normally be a screaming redemption, but only mediocre at this paid rate of $80 ai, plus no potential breakfast/happy hour.
oxfordjames and asdfghjk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.