Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
perhaps i missed something, but isn't it a tiny pool they have up there?

Pleasant, maybe: but very small.
Considering it’s on top of a 37 floor building, I say it’s rather nice.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Explorist
Hi everyone, Quick question
I'm planning to stay here in March with a Club room. Platinum Elite, Ambassador. I will be checking out on a Friday hoping for a 4 pm check out. I plan to leave for the airport around midnight. Would it be feasible to just leave my luggage and hang out one last night in town/the lounge or am I being too cheap and should get a room for the last night? Traveling with other half and an 8 year old. (8 year old is a night owl and will have no problem staying awake) TIA
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Mommytok
I'm planning to stay here in March with a Club room. Platinum Elite, Ambassador. I will be checking out on a Friday hoping for a 4 pm check out. I plan to leave for the airport around midnight. Would it be feasible to just leave my luggage and hang out one last night in town/the lounge or am I being too cheap and should get a room for the last night? Traveling with other half and an 8 year old. (8 year old is a night owl and will have no problem staying awake) TIA
As a Club guest you can absolutely stay in the club after checkout to wait for your flight. However kids are not allowed in the club during happy hour. So maybe during that period you go out walking around. You ought to get 4pm check out with club if you ask nicely the morning of your departure.
Mommytok likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:16 am

I would reserve the room for the night of departure. If you book an airport transfer with the hotel, there is a chance they might offer you some kind of a deal to keep the room until midnight at a reduced price IF the hotel physically has room availability. That is a big IF because IC Bangkok usually runs at over 90% occupancy, and is often fully committed. It never hurts to ask and see what they can offer you.
Mommytok likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
4 PM is a guaranteed benefit of Ambassador, so they have to give it regardless. I can't imagine someone trying to remove you from the lounge after 4 PM either, though they may (or may not) request you not to take part in the happy hour.
You can always leave your luggage with concierge.

I won't waste cash for room extension unless you need to sleep. If the hotel is okay with keeping Club access until night, good for you, if not, there are plenty of things to do in Bangkok.
Mommytok likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:29 pm

As RA I always was allowed to tay in the lounge after checking out at 4 pm until closing without restrictions when I had a late flight. Sometimes they even offered a later checkout - even 7 pm once.
This is true for at least DXB (the one close to the airport), HKG (IC), CAI (Citystars), BKK. Usually have the bellman get my luggage and store it until departure.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:12 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
We informed the IHG desk of our predicament of 1:00 AM departure flight and offered to pay for the night. We had a suite for us and an attached double room for the kids. After a brief call from the IHG desk to a certain manager, we were told to keep the suite until 8:00 PM and we were also accommodated for happy hour. It took us until 9:00 PM (not intentional) to leave the suite and the housekeeping staff waited patiently for us to depart. So, with being upfront about the issue, I don't foresee any problem with them taking care of you without nickle & dime-ing you. Smiles and sincere charm won't hurt either!
Mommytok likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kalboz
We informed the IHG desk of our predicament of 1:00 AM departure flight and offered to pay for the night. We had a suite for us and an attached double room for the kids. After a brief call from the IHG desk to a certain manager, we were told to keep the suite until 8:00 PM and we were also accommodated for happy hour. It took us until 9:00 PM (not intentional) to leave the suite and the housekeeping staff waited patiently for us to depart. So, with being upfront about the issue, I don't foresee any problem with them taking care of you without nickle & dime-ing you. Smiles and sincere charm won't hurt either!
IC Bangkok has 31x Corner Suites. Often sold out these suites each night even if not peak dates/season, so no keeping Suite past 4pm is often impossible as needed for arriving guests. Usually offer is lounge if you already have lounge access.

Quite a few hotels, including IC's will sell late checkout by the hour, eg usd20/hr , but only to 6pm latest, if want after 6pm one then needs pa the whole night.

I think it was extremely inconsiderate and very rude, to not be ready to vacate room at agreed extended 8pm. IC Bangkok is now entitled to charge you a full night , and if I was manager I would not hesitate to do so
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by scubaccr
I think it was extremely inconsiderate and very rude, to not be ready to vacate room at agreed extended 8pm. IC Bangkok is now entitled to charge you a full night , and if I was manager I would not hesitate to do so
Tried to work out how this was any of your business but couldn’t.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:22 am

IC Bangkok has 31x Corner Suites. Often sold out these suites each night even if not peak dates/season, so no keeping Suite past 4pm is often impossible as needed for arriving guests. Usually offer is lounge if you already have lounge access.

Quite a few hotels, including IC's will sell late checkout by the hour, eg usd20/hr , but only to 6pm latest, if want after 6pm one then needs pa the whole night.

That's a bit harsh. Do you really think that someone was waiting to be checked into the suite at 8pm or later that night? I don't think 8pm, 9pm or 11pm would have made much difference at that point.
Kalboz and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:43 am

LOL. A guest’s being one hour later than agreed upon for check out is a common occurrence it happens all the time. This IC in particular does not nickel and dime guests. Their goal is to keep guests happy and coming back again and again.

By the way, those corner suites are filled most of the time with upgraded Ambassador and Royal Ambassador guests. Guests arrive at all hours of the day and night, including many on late night flight arrivals at BKK. In such cases, the suite could very easily be cleaned and then occupied by someone arriving at 10:00 pm ~ midnight or later. That is likely what did happen.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
IC Bangkok is a very busy hotel even as an RA I had to wait for a suite on one occassion this year, pre arrival upgrade was to a premier suite which was upgraded further to an executive suite on arrival at around 1pm but did not get the room until 6pm due to a late checking out guest.

The club team looked after us over the delay but get where some would say staying beyond agreed checkout is wrong.

when I was there a couple of weeks ago the club was so busy on one night they were using the meeting rooms to seat people for evening drinks.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by shoven
IC Bangkok is a very busy hotel even as an RA I had to wait for a suite on one occassion this year, pre arrival upgrade was to a premier suite which was upgraded further to an executive suite on arrival at around 1pm but did not get the room until 6pm due to a late checking out guest.

The club team looked after us over the delay but get where some would say staying beyond agreed checkout is wrong.

when I was there a couple of weeks ago the club was so busy on one night they were using the meeting rooms to seat people for evening drinks.
That’s inherent with the operations of a large business hotel. True luxury hotel operate below capacity most of the time, so can usually avoid waits for check-in etc...

In your case you got a large upgrade, and as the previous guest likely had guaranteed Ambassador late check out, you were not going to get the room at 1:00 pm anyway.

When in doubt, I think priority should be given to the occupying guest for late check out within reason. The hotel is good at juggling room allocation and upgrading, but the occasional wait is unavoidable.

Also, it depends on the circumstances and who the occupants are. If the suite was occupied by Qataris paying rack rate, they are not going to hurry them to leave for an RA upgraded from a regular room rate, for example.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist

My post was to give advice the OP to present the issue to the property for a solution, and based on our experience the property is very accommodating.

We did not mind paying and we did not actively pursuit late late check out. We actually booked and paid for the suite and the attached double room for the final short night. But upon discussing our early departure with the IHG Desk, they said that it was unnecessary to pay for the short final night, cancelled it, and offered late checked instead. This is truly a five-star trait, and we were happy to accept. So to accuse us of being "extremely inconsiderate and very rude" is an assumption when I already explained that it was unintentional and the property had no problem with it. On a positive note, and as a result of this awesome treatment, this property gained a lifetime fan and a 5-star review on TripAdvisor.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

That’s inherent with the operations of a large business hotel. True luxury hotel operate below capacity most of the time, so can usually avoid waits for check-in etc...

In your case you got a large upgrade, and as the previous guest likely had guaranteed Ambassador late check out, you were not going to get the room at 1:00 pm anyway.

When in doubt, I think priority should be given to the occupying guest for late check out within reason. The hotel is good at juggling room allocation and upgrading, but the occasional wait is unavoidable.

Also, it depends on the circumstances and who the occupants are. If the suite was occupied by Qataris paying rack rate, they are not going to hurry them to leave for an RA upgraded from a regular room rate, for example.
I fully agree with your points, I have stayed there many many times so my expectations are managed by previous experiance and I have to say its my favourite places to stay in Bangkok still.

They gave me a room too use until suite was ready so no complaints from me it's a great place to stay.
Kalboz and MikeFromTokyo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.