Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I am debating between the Hyatt Erawan and the IC. I dont have status anymore but will book the Lounge Access room. So how are the lounge's evening offerings?
I would give IC a try, as it’s one of the best club levels in town.

You might want to purchase Ambassador status if you will use it. It basically pays for itself if you get good use out of the weekend night voucher.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:10 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:49 am
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by markle
Piggybacking off of this thread:

I can get similar rates at the IC and St Regis. Any thoughts on which would be better as a Spire Amb / SPG Plat? No interest in club, but want a nice room / great views.

Go for the St. Regis or So Sofitel. I have been doing my research as well for the June trip. So far since I would like the lounge I am focussing on So Sofitel, good location and very good reviews. From what I have read, the St Regis seems to have staff that is not fully trained for a 5 star property.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:56 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:46 am
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:29 am

I will be staying at IC Bangkok soon. Using Ambassador certificate. We actually want either a twin bedded room or suite, or a suite with an additional roll away bed (only two guests will be staying).

What is the difference between the first and second level of Club InterContinental suites?

I am trying to decide between booking club twin room, or the entry level Club suite. The thing is we will be extending the stay with one award night. Do you think there is any chance of being allocated the same room/suite for all nights?

As an additional complication, a smoking room/suite would be preferable.

I will call the in house reservations department soon to see what the best options are. I guess my main question is if the club level suites are “worth it” at this property? From the pictures the corner views from suites look very nice. The only downside is the possible hassle of moving rooms for the last night if we have to do that.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I will be staying at IC Bangkok soon. Using Ambassador certificate. We actually want either a twin bedded room or suite, or a suite with an additional roll away bed (only two guests will be staying).

What is the difference between the first and second level of Club InterContinental suites?

I am trying to decide between booking club twin room, or the entry level Club suite. The thing is we will be extending the stay with one award night. Do you think there is any chance of being allocated the same room/suite for all nights?

As an additional complication, a smoking room/suite would be preferable.

I will call the in house reservations department soon to see what the best options are. I guess my main question is if the club level suites are “worth it” at this property? From the pictures the corner views from suites look very nice. The only downside is the possible hassle of moving rooms for the last night if we have to do that.
It will all depend on how full they are as they do not have a huge number of suites in there inventory, I do like the corner suites and some of the views can be pretty decent but the one occasion I have stayed and had a roll away it was placed in the sitting room and although it was fine for a teenage girl i am not sure how great it would be for an adult.

Once you go above the corner suites it's probably even less likely to get it on a reward night as they only have 1 or 2 of each type again it will depend on occupancy as the IC Bangkok is a popular property due to it's location, it's not uncommon for the hotel to try and steer Ambassadors away from the corner suites with a rate reduction on there booked room due to the demand for corner suites.

I personally would go for a standard club room and enjoy the view from the club lounge as not every suite looks over the BKK sports club some look out towards central world, I always used to get the corner suite as an Ambassador due to booking a club room but since getting RA I just go for a standard room which upgrades to a club room which are all basically the same just the floor is higher.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by shoven
It will all depend on how full they are as they do not have a huge number of suites in there inventory, I do like the corner suites and some of the views can be pretty decent but the one occasion I have stayed and had a roll away it was placed in the sitting room and although it was fine for a teenage girl i am not sure how great it would be for an adult.

Once you go above the corner suites it's probably even less likely to get it on a reward night as they only have 1 or 2 of each type again it will depend on occupancy as the IC Bangkok is a popular property due to it's location, it's not uncommon for the hotel to try and steer Ambassadors away from the corner suites with a rate reduction on there booked room due to the demand for corner suites.

I personally would go for a standard club room and enjoy the view from the club lounge as not every suite looks over the BKK sports club some look out towards central world, I always used to get the corner suite as an Ambassador due to booking a club room but since getting RA I just go for a standard room which upgrades to a club room which are all basically the same just the floor is higher.
Thank you. I will have to see what works out better given the bed type and smoking preference.

The price difference is quite small because it’s an Ambassador weekend certificate.

I agree club room is perfectly adequate. I just have never been in a suite at this property and am tempted to try one. However, as Ambassador booking a club room, a suite upgrade would still be possible.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:39 pm

Thank you. I will have to see what works out better given the bed type and smoking preference.

The price difference is quite small because it’s an Ambassador weekend certificate.

I agree club room is perfectly adequate. I just have never been in a suite at this property and am tempted to try one. However, as Ambassador booking a club room, a suite upgrade would still be possible.
There are two corner suites on most floors. One is looking to Ploenchit road, you see the train station, the Hyatt, the Amari shopping center opposite and the race track from the living room.View of Central World from the bedroom. The other one is at the opposite end, you see the holiday inn from the bedroom and some other buildings from the living room. The regular rooms are on the sides of the buildings.
The suite is nice (I am currently staying in one). Two separate rooms with a real door between them. The living room is a bit on the small side, the bathroom is identical to the bathroom in regular rooms (except the give you big bottles of Agraria).
If they give me an upgrade to this room type I happily take it, but otherwise a regular club room is perfectly fine.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
There are two corner suites on most floors. One is looking to Ploenchit road, you see the train station, the Hyatt, the Amari shopping center opposite and the race track from the living room.View of Central World from the bedroom. The other one is at the opposite end, you see the holiday inn from the bedroom and some other buildings from the living room. The regular rooms are on the sides of the buildings.
The suite is nice (I am currently staying in one). Two separate rooms with a real door between them. The living room is a bit on the small side, the bathroom is identical to the bathroom in regular rooms (except the give you big bottles of Agraria).
If they give me an upgrade to this room type I happily take it, but otherwise a regular club room is perfectly fine.
Looking at online videos, I am starting to think that it may not actually be worth a premium to have a suite. The separate living room is on the small side and and the bathroom virtually identical.

I think as two adults who prefer separate beds, we would be more comfortable in a twin bedded room. And it is $100 cheaper. No big deal, but on the other hand why spend it? I’d rather put it towards a Fireplace Grill steak dinner or a massage.

If I wanted King bedded, I would take the suite however. It does not look at all bad.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle

Looking at online videos, I am starting to think that it may not actually be worth a premium to have a suite. The separate living room is on the small side and and the bathroom virtually identical.

I think as two adults who prefer separate beds, we would be more comfortable in a twin bedded room. And it is $100 cheaper. No big deal, but on the other hand why spend it? I’d rather put it towards a Fireplace Grill steak dinner or a massage.

If I wanted King bedded, I would take the suite however. It does not look at all bad.
I'm with you there I love the bone in ribeye for 2 at the Fireplace Grill much better use of $100 looking forward to July when I will be back in Bangkok.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:17 pm

I'm with you there I love the bone in ribeye for 2 at the Fireplace Grill much better use of $100 looking forward to July when I will be back in Bangkok.
I have made note, and I think that very well might be exactly what we order!^
shoven likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:11 pm

To update, I ended up booking Club InterContinental twin room. There actually are twin bedded suites within the hotel, but not on the smoking floors which the other guest requires in this case.

We will be allocated the same room for the entire stay. I like this hotel more and more, and it’s unbeatable value when I have points and Ambassador certificates. Excellent F&B, excellent views, excellent club lounge benefits.

I am staying immediately before across the street at GH Erawan on club level, so it will be interesting to have a direct show down comparison between the club services.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:39 pm

To update, I ended up booking Club InterContinental twin room. There actually are twin bedded suites within the hotel, but not on the smoking floors which the other guest requires in this case.

We will be allocated the same room for the entire stay. I like this hotel more and more, and it’s unbeatable value when I have points and Ambassador certificates. Excellent F&B, excellent views, excellent club lounge benefits.

I am staying immediately before across the street at GH Erawan on club level, so it will be interesting to have a direct show down comparison between the club services.
It will be good to get a view on how the club level at each compares I have thought about trying the GH in the past but I'm reluctant to go anywhere else as we enjoy the IC and especially the Club Lounge so much.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:47 am

It will be good to get a view on how the club level at each compares I have thought about trying the GH in the past but I'm reluctant to go anywhere else as we enjoy the IC and especially the Club Lounge so much.
Don’t even think about looking further. The IC’s club level service is better by far. There is not even a comparison.

This club level is similar to the best Ritz-Carlton club levels, in terms of service quality and F&B offerings. It’s so good there is definitely a temptation to eat too much!

In short, I was blown away by superb service and F&B on this stay. Virtually every staff member in every department was so professional, and demonstrated that they really care about their guests. I have other favorites in Bangkok, but am happy to add InterContinental to my list of favorite hotels now.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 27, 2018 at 10:31 am
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:12 pm

Don’t even think about looking further. The IC’s club level service is better by far. There is not even a comparison.

This club level is similar to the best Ritz-Carlton club levels, in terms of service quality and F&B offerings. It’s so good there is definitely a temptation to eat too much!

In short, I was blown away by superb service and F&B on this stay. Virtually every staff member in every department was so professional, and demonstrated that they really care about their guests. I have other favorites in Bangkok, but am happy to add InterContinental to my list of favorite hotels now.
Thanks for the update, glad you enjoyed your stay I will be there next week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.